Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   When #2 (or more arrived), was CDing overwhelming? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4594)

ktoone 05-09-2006 08:09 AM

When #2 (or more arrived), was CDing overwhelming?

We've got a little boy arriving at the end of this month, and I've got my NB stash just about ready. I'm really worried that we're going to be overwhelmed with diapers. My DD is almost 2, so I can *hope* PT is in the near future, but right now, we're still in CDs.

Any tips?? Or just encouraging words??

beachmom 05-09-2006 08:21 AM

Re: When #2 (or more arrived), was CDing overwhelming?

My oldest 2 are 23 months apart so I had 2 in cloth diapers for a while. Though dd did start potty training that summer so it wasn't for long. I didn't find it any harder. I had just one diaper changing station set up and one diaper pail so everything was right there together. At the time, I was using a contoured diaper that was one size so they both used the same kind of diaper and just had different sized covers.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine!:thumbsup:

Shaineinok 05-09-2006 08:32 AM

It is a bit harder but its not a deal breaker. You can make it work just set up an organized diaper area and you will go fine. I would wash every other day or so to keep down smells and to keep from feeling overwhelmed. And yes we did for a while. My dd was almost totally trained when her sis arrived she back tracked and had to wear diapers for a few months till she decided to use the potty again.

Tyrity 05-09-2006 08:34 AM

Well I've been diapering 2 from the beginning and it's not been overwhelming for us, just like everything else really. Maybe it's because we have so many kids anyway, so the laundry doesnt get to me (I've always got laundry coming outta my ears LOL) having 2 in dipes hasnt really been hard at all. The only thing that kinda gets me is my anal issues of having to buy 2 dipes instead of one, I just cant bring myself to buy just 1 dipe to try because I feel I'm leaving the other out, so I end up with 2 dipes to try instead because I want everything to be "equal" but that is just me LOL ;)

jls~Kain~Drake 05-09-2006 08:42 AM

I started cd'ing with 2, and it was incredibly overwhelming for me...I ended up quitting for awhile because we had bad fits (like, the dipes didn't fit..not like tantrums) and I was really struggling....but I've picked it back up and ds1 (27mo) is only cd'd part time because I don't have very many at all to fit him...ds2 is cd'd full time...and it helped me to move into it gradually. I wasn't used to already cd'ing 1 though...I think had ds1 been cd'd....once ds2 arrived, it wouldn't have been so difficult..but starting with 2 was hard for me...anyway....now that i've written a novel :rolleyes:

Good luck!

DiaperJunction 05-09-2006 08:55 AM

DD Mary and Rachel were in cloth at the same time for about 6 months or so I think. I did find it a bit over whelming when Rachel was a newborn. I had to wash diapers every day (because ya know...she pooped a hundred times a day!), on top of other stuff to be done. It did get easier once Rachel was a little older.

In about 10.5 weeks I'll once again have 2 in diapers and I am a bit nervous about it. But I'm also too cheap to throw away money on disposies, so I'll just have to deal with it ;-)

I never understood why old people would go on and on about how hard having two in diapers was until I had 2 in CLOTH diapers! Having 2 in disposie diapers was never a challenge!

nothing_butt_cloth 05-09-2006 08:56 AM

When my last was born I had 3 in diapers. It wasnt too bad actaully. The older kids just dont need to be changed as often as the babies so i think that made a difference. My kids never have been heavy wetters. I think the cloth was actaully easier than the sposies we used for hte first few weeks. I dont know why.
Good luck with your lil one

ChurchPunkMom 05-09-2006 09:06 AM

I didn't start CDing till I was pg with my fourth. My oldest two had just potty trained and Torrin was the only one left in dipes. I decided I wanted to CD the new baby and that I'd try it out on Torrin before she was born.

I haven't been overwhelmed by it... but it does take A LOT to overwhelm me. ;) The main difference that I noticed (and I still get behind now and then *ew*) is all the poopy dipes I have to rinse now. I've gone from one a day at most, to more like at least 4 or 5 a day! I've kind of settled into a routine though... I leave her poos in the sink until either he poops or till the end of the day, then I rinse them all. Torrin's never been a real heavy wetter and still only goes through 3 or 4 diapers a day - so that help make it easier... and, yeah, having a family of six we have so much laundry anyway that I don't notice a load of diapers every couple days.

I used to watch my niece and nephew full-time (when I only had 3 of my own) and, at one time, I had 5 kids all wearing sposies. I felt like I was drowning in diapers!:giggle:

Cranberrycove 05-09-2006 09:17 AM

Thanks for posting this question! We have #2 arriving in about 5 weeks and I had planned on using disposables for the first few months then switching. Lately though I've been thinking about it and figured that since my son (18mo) is in cloth and I'll have to wash anyway, that maybe I'll just try cloth on the newborn as well. I'm still on the fence about that one though... It's interesting reading everyone's responses. :)

Minniebees 05-09-2006 09:22 AM

I started cloth with #2. My older one is in cloth at night as well. For me laundry is laundry, so cloth wasn't overwhelming. He'd soak out of sposies so often that I was doing extra laundry and clothing changes anyway. Just having a second one is a lot more work, but I think that many things that parents do that are supposed to be more convenient like formula feeding and disposable diapers actually end up being more work. If you are worried about keeping up with the laundry, then just get more diapers (if you are able). I throw them in the wash right before bed and put them in the dryer first thing in the morning. It's a part of the routine just like making breakfast and giving them baths. So anyway, you'll do fine.