Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   105 Degree Fever, Blue Limbs and Lips, 6 Hours in the ER and....... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459647)

Babydust 06-17-2008 11:06 PM

105 Degree Fever, Blue Limbs and Lips, 6 Hours in the ER and.......

They cant figure out what is wrong with my poor baby!!!!

Brodie woke up yesterday normal and daddy took him for a walk. He came home asleep in his stroller so I put him to bed. He woke up with a fever of 103.9 and it took me hours to get it down. It kept going back up. So this morning he woke at 5 crying and that is SUPER early for him so I ran in there and he was as red as a beet. He only had a diaper on to sleep. I took his temp and it was 104.4. I gave him some Motrin and a bottle and he went back to sleep. I checked his temp again at 5:30 and it was 103.3 so I put him back to bed. 11am rolled around and he was STILL not awake. I was starting to get nervous so I went in and tried to wake him several times. Finally after 30 mins of rousing he woke up and was still at 103. I gave him another dose of Motrin and another bottle and he played happily for a few hours. 3pm rolls around and we notice that he is smurfish looking. His lips were really blue. So I picked him up and cuddled him as we discussed what we were going to do with him. Within 5 mins he broke out in a fever that was so hot I felt like my body was on fire where he was touching me. Took his temp again 104.8. I called the Dr. and gave him some Tylenol and waited for the Dr to call back. He called and we talked and he wanted me to take him to the ER right away. He had seen him the day before at the office and just told me to watch the fever and keep on top of it.

The ER ran every test in the book and did Xrays you name it....poked him 5 times because they couldn't find a vein. After 6 hours they said he was NORMAL!!!! WTF is wrong with my baby? He has had such a rough life in his one little year and it makes my heart break to see him ill. Anyone have any ideas?

Katiebear 06-17-2008 11:09 PM

Re: 105 Degree Fever, Blue Limbs and Lips, 6 Hours in the ER and.......

SS mama! I have no idea, but I'm sending healthy thoughts and prayers your direction! :hugs:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 06-17-2008 11:13 PM

turning blue i think is lack of oxygen to the brain, I am not sure why they sent you all home, they should've kept him for evaluation overnight:hugs: praying for your baby to be alright.

Bee Green Naturals 06-17-2008 11:23 PM

I don't know mama, sometimes there are no answers but just keep a watchful eye on him and dont' be afraid to take him back.
My DD was in the hospital at 3 months due to not wanting to wake up. She would only wake for about 5 min. to nurse then sleep again. Did this for almost 18 hours and we took her to the ER. They ran all kinds of tests.. nothing. But thought meningitis possibly due to the sleeping and sluggishness. Tried two spinals, wouldnt work but everything else about her was fine.. no fever at all. Told me to take her home. What???
Went home, didn't feel good about it, she still wasn't waking. Took her back and waited for hours to get back in. Tried another spinal, UTI, X-ray test, etc... but nothing. However, this new doc now wanted her transfered to a special infant hospital due to it being almost 24 hours with only waking during spinal and pricks. Then falls right back to sleep.
Well, they went ahead and gave her some strong antibiotics, didn't work after 24 hours like it should have. Gave her an even stronger one that they use for meningitis over 3 days.
Finally after 2 1/2 days, she started to wake up normally. They believe she had some bad virus that they couldn't find but that the antibiotics killed.
Praised me later for being so strong headed and taking her back in.

Go with your instinct and do what you think is best! Don't be afraid to ? the doctors.
:hugs:

ladylee 06-17-2008 11:24 PM

many prayers to you all right now.

amrijane128 06-17-2008 11:39 PM

:hugs: Praying for you LO, hope he feels better soon!

starryeyedgyal 06-17-2008 11:44 PM

I am so sorry that's happening to your LO mama! :hugs: Prayers being sent your way...

Phiasmom0 06-18-2008 01:06 AM

prayers for your LO keep us posted and go with your gut Mama that is why The Mama instinct is given to us to protect our babies.

mikoto127 06-18-2008 01:27 AM

Blue is a lack of oxygen for whatever reason. Did the Dr's do an EKG or any other heart testing other than listening? And, did they take a urine sample? Has your LO been urinating regularly? Lots of wet diapers...and as wet as normal? Blue could also be from toxins backing up in the bloodstream if there is any kidney or liver problem going on also! Or, it could be a mild asthma thing...is he having trouble breathing? If he even seems to have the slightest problem breathing, I'd take him in and see about getting him an albuterol treatment. If there is a history of heart issues (even murmurs that closed, or anything in the family) I'd bring him back and get that tested. And, did you try a cool bath to break the fever. It helps. Oh, and I don't want to come off as scary with all of this, it's just things to look out for! But, blue is NOT good and they shouldn't have sent you home...because most likely, it's a lack of oxygen which is NOT good, and can cause long term issues if the brain goes w/o oxygen for too long.

Terra 06-18-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikoto127 (Post 3896053)
Blue is a lack of oxygen for whatever reason. Did the Dr's do an EKG or any other heart testing other than listening? And, did they take a urine sample? Has your LO been urinating regularly? Lots of wet diapers...and as wet as normal? Blue could also be from toxins backing up in the bloodstream if there is any kidney or liver problem going on also! Or, it could be a mild asthma thing...is he having trouble breathing? If he even seems to have the slightest problem breathing, I'd take him in and see about getting him an albuterol treatment. If there is a history of heart issues (even murmurs that closed, or anything in the family) I'd bring him back and get that tested. And, did you try a cool bath to break the fever. It helps. Oh, and I don't want to come off as scary with all of this, it's just things to look out for! But, blue is NOT good and they shouldn't have sent you home...because most likely, it's a lack of oxygen which is NOT good, and can cause long term issues if the brain goes w/o oxygen for too long.

I totally agree with this mama :bighug:....I would think he still needs to be on oxygen and perhaps a sleep monitor until they figure out what is going on....If you can I'd almost go to another hospital, maybe a children's one or something...Please keep us posted!!

My huge prayers and thoughts are with you!!! :pray: :pray: :bighug: