Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chlorine and hair (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459717)

Oceanwaveshimd 06-18-2008 05:27 AM

Chlorine and hair

My dd (14 years old) has super thick curly blonde hair. Its very coarse and since she has been swimming, feels like straw. We've been using Jason's Organic shampoo and conditioner. Last month she told me she didn't like it and now I see why, it is doing NOTHING for her and maybe making her hair worse.
She is getting her hair cut today and getting it thinned out. Does anyone have any experience with getting hair thinned out during summer? She's had it done the last couple of times she's had her hair cut but since its been summer and she's outside more having it thinned out seems to be making it frizzier, or maybe that's just the condition of her hair right now? And can anyone recommend a good swimmers shampoo? Thanks mamas!

shana0923 06-18-2008 06:44 AM

Re: Chlorine and hair

I know it isn't organic or anything but maybe you should try the sunsilk for curly hair. That stuff is great. With her hair type she probably just needs more than that one has. Good luck!

proudmommaof4 06-18-2008 06:48 AM

Personally, I wouldn't have it thinned. I used to have mine thinned as a teenager and it has come back thicker than ever. That's just me though. In fact I have had hairstylists tell me not to thin it, to layer it instead. As for the texture which will be worse in the summer because of chlorine, try a mayonnaise treatment. IT works wonders. Especially if you can spend the extra and get the Hellman's with Canola oil. You can also use Olive oil like a hot oil treatment and that works well too. She can do this whenever her hair starts to feel like that as there aren't any chemicals. Another thing is like the pp said, Sunsilk. It is amazing stuff but like any shampoo/conditioner, it will start to leave a buildup and not work as well after awhile. I have to switch mine out every couple of months.

frenchie 06-18-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proudmommaof4 (Post 3896601)
Personally, I wouldn't have it thinned. I used to have mine thinned as a teenager and it has come back thicker than ever.

That's not what made your hair thicker. Thinning hair does nothing more than remove bulk. It does nothing to affect the follicle, which is where your hair grows from. It's an absolute physical/biological impossibility, for your hair to get thicker from cutting it.

To the OP, it's a rare occasion that I actually use thinning shears to thin people's hair. As the pp mentioned, layering is the best way to remove bulk. IF I do thn the hair with thinning shears, I do it about every 3rd to 4th haircut. If she has it done every time, it'll make her hair frizzier, especially if it's course and wavy/curly. That hair type really needs the weight in order to control the texture.
Also, she likely has chlorine build up...there is no conventional shampoo or mayonaise that will remove that. You need to get something that will chelate the hair. The absolute best product is Malibu 2000. There is a treatment to remove the build up, and then a shampoo she should use everytime she gets out of the pool. I would also recommend a good quality moisturizer...Joico moisturizer is real nice. ABBA has a great one, Enjoy has a really great one as well. It all depends on what your budget is.
I would also invest in a good silicone serum for your DD's hair. It'll give it shine, cut the frizz, and make her texture a bit more managable. Paul Mitchell has a wonderful serum that comes in a pump, and is the best bang for your buck.

Baby_Vol 06-18-2008 09:52 AM

Frenchie gave some great advice!

I was a lifeguard for years, and I also was going to say get something specifically made to take out he chlorine build-up. I used to use some kind of shampoo from the swim shop in town, but I can't remember the name of it. It was made for swimmers.

I also used to wet my hair with clear water before jumping in the pool. I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that wetting it beforhand helps reduce the amount of chlorine your hair soaks up.

zoies mom 06-18-2008 10:00 AM

I agree with PP. Before DD gets in the pool have her wet her hair with clear water. It's similar to a sponge, if it's already saturated, it can't soak up much chlorinated water. Also, if it's not your pool :giggle: , she can use some cheap conditioner (like Queen Helene cholestrol, from Sally beauty Supply) and work it into her already wet with clear water hair, and braid it. This will protect the hair, keep it tame, and help condition it!
I also agree woth the previous poster, DO NOT have it thinned with thinning shears. It will make it bigger, and frizzier!
Good Luck!:goodvibes:

Beebug123 06-18-2008 10:16 AM

I was just going to reccomend Malibu Shampoo, but I see Frenchie already did. I swam competitively for years and everyone I know used it. You can find it pretty easy by googling it, I don't know many B&M stores that carry it.

When I swam I would wet my hair and then lather it with the Malibu conditioner before I put my cap on. I have blonde hair as well and you have to be very careful about the damage. I remember there was a little girl on the team who never took a shower or washed her hair and after awhile the damage got so bad that the bottom of her hair turned into a gob of green goo becuase it destroyed her hair follicles!

Currently my family uses Loreal Kids Swim and Sport Shampoo because it is available most anywhere and works great when you are in the pool occasionally.

Oceanwaveshimd 06-18-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proudmommaof4 (Post 3896601)
Personally, I wouldn't have it thinned. I used to have mine thinned as a teenager and it has come back thicker than ever. That's just me though. In fact I have had hairstylists tell me not to thin it, to layer it instead. As for the texture which will be worse in the summer because of chlorine, try a mayonnaise treatment. IT works wonders. Especially if you can spend the extra and get the Hellman's with Canola oil. You can also use Olive oil like a hot oil treatment and that works well too. She can do this whenever her hair starts to feel like that as there aren't any chemicals. Another thing is like the pp said, Sunsilk. It is amazing stuff but like any shampoo/conditioner, it will start to leave a buildup and not work as well after awhile. I have to switch mine out every couple of months.

Ill have to try the mayo treatment. I tried hot oil last week and her hair was greasy for days...I think I may have used too much:blush:

Oceanwaveshimd 06-18-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchie (Post 3897163)
That's not what made your hair thicker. Thinning hair does nothing more than remove bulk. It does nothing to affect the follicle, which is where your hair grows from. It's an absolute physical/biological impossibility, for your hair to get thicker from cutting it.

To the OP, it's a rare occasion that I actually use thinning shears to thin people's hair. As the pp mentioned, layering is the best way to remove bulk. IF I do thn the hair with thinning shears, I do it about every 3rd to 4th haircut. If she has it done every time, it'll make her hair frizzier, especially if it's course and wavy/curly. That hair type really needs the weight in order to control the texture.
Also, she likely has chlorine build up...there is no conventional shampoo or mayonaise that will remove that. You need to get something that will chelate the hair. The absolute best product is Malibu 2000. There is a treatment to remove the build up, and then a shampoo she should use everytime she gets out of the pool. I would also recommend a good quality moisturizer...Joico moisturizer is real nice. ABBA has a great one, Enjoy has a really great one as well. It all depends on what your budget is.
I would also invest in a good silicone serum for your DD's hair. It'll give it shine, cut the frizz, and make her texture a bit more managable. Paul Mitchell has a wonderful serum that comes in a pump, and is the best bang for your buck.

I was thinking that about the thinning vs. layering, but I wasn't sure.
Thanks so much for your ideas mama! I've never heard of Malibu 2000 (not a product I've seen in the drugstore or the salon) can you steer me where to buy it?

lilerthquakes 06-18-2008 11:08 AM

Thinning curly hair is a bad idea... it can actually make the hair appear more 'poofy'. It's all about getting a good cut, to make it appear thinner. Also, Redken has an entire line of products that are specifically made to protect hair from the sun and chlorine. Good luck!