Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Things to do (like Kindermusik, Gymboree, etc.) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459861)

jayner 06-18-2008 08:51 AM

Things to do (like Kindermusik, Gymboree, etc.)

Both DD and I need to get out of the house and get around other real, live human beings :giggle:

There was a Kindermusik class starting today that I was going to take her to, but it got cancelled for lack of interest. I've tried searching for swim lessons, since she loves to be in the water, but there doesn't seem to be anything around here. There is no Gymboree, our church doesn't have any programs, the local YMCA hardly offers anything, and so on and so on.

What else is out there to look for? I'd love to find a playgroup or something, but it seems like most around here just never have enough interest.

ConnorsMom06 06-18-2008 08:56 AM

Re: Things to do (like Kindermusik, Gymboree, etc.)

That sounds about like where we live. The baby/toddler classes are an hour a way and there is nothing to do here in town. We've been spending alot of time at the park but even at that My very good friend moved away and that took pretty much all of Connors Close in age friends. So we've just been winging it. We Swim alot as well.

frenchie 06-18-2008 08:59 AM

I see you're in Savannah. DH and I have considered moving there (he works for Gulfstream)
I never would've imagined there wouldn't be anything to do there. My best suggestion would be to take her to the local park. We've met a lot of people just going to the park. Also, I know it may not seem that exciting, but with all of the historical stuff in Savannah, you could be taking her to all kinds of interesting sites. She may not appreciate them, but you might, and it gives you something to do. You'd be surprised at how many interesting people you come in contact with. It gets you out of the house!

jayner 06-18-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchie (Post 3897699)
I see you're in Savannah. DH and I have considered moving there (he works for Gulfstream)
I never would've imagined there wouldn't be anything to do there. My best suggestion would be to take her to the local park. We've met a lot of people just going to the park. Also, I know it may not seem that exciting, but with all of the historical stuff in Savannah, you could be taking her to all kinds of interesting sites. She may not appreciate them, but you might, and it gives you something to do. You'd be surprised at how many interesting people you come in contact with. It gets you out of the house!

We're actually about 30 minutes outside of the city. With the cost of gas and it being in the mid 90s everyday, going downtown is more a weekend thing on DH's day off. If there was actually something going on, I would drive (like the Kindermusik), but I feel bad wasting the gas just to go wander around. I would love to live in the city.

Our town does have a park, but it's mainly just a running trail. Little shade and no playground.

MatildasMum 06-18-2008 09:15 AM

check out Meetup.com!

SugarPlumCompany 06-18-2008 09:17 AM

Have you been to meetup.com? Finding a playgroup on there saved my sanity when I was in your situation! :giggle:

MUHAJABAH 06-18-2008 09:22 AM

I was going to suggest meetup.com too. I found a really cool newish natural moms group. I love that its new and doesnt have many members so I actually feel like I can contribute to it and feel noticed! I had a playgroup here last week and 3 other moms actually came! It was fun. Me and Rafiq are home ALL the time and we get bored so its great to have things to go to (although I can never go because I have no car but thats another story).

julucas 06-18-2008 09:24 AM

We go to a toddler art class that we LOVE. It is all about free artistic expression for the little ones. I am amazed at some of the art they create. I live in Texas, so I don't really know of any particular art class in Georgia, but keep your eyes open for one.

The Oatland Island Wildlife Center has toddler Tuesdays. Looks like it would cost you $5 to get in.

The Telfair Museum of Art has toddler third thursdays that look cool. It looks like it starts at 3 years old, but that will be here before you know it.

Post in the section of DS that is for your specific area and maybe there are other Savannah moms around who need stuff to do. If your church doesn't have any kind of mommy group, see if you could start one. There are bound to be so many other moms in your situation in your area.

Good luck!

Beebug123 06-18-2008 10:22 AM

Meetup.com!

I help organize a group in my area.