Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Crib mattresses can be toxic ! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459918)

Indianamom*2 06-18-2008 09:44 AM

Crib mattresses can be toxic !

This is really pretty sickening. DH and I were watching Planet Green (DHs new fav tv show) and they were redoing a nursery and they said that crib mattresses were toxic because they put off a vapor that baby can breath in causing breathing problems and they suggested buying wool or organic mattresses.
The chemical used to make the mattress fire proof is similar to a chemical used in paint thinners ! :yuck:

Here is the link to the article about the mattresses.
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/hom...-mattress.html

And here is the actual article.

Thanks to 1973 U.S. law decreeing that all mattresses must meet requirements for cigarette-ignition, most conventional mattresses are treated with toxic fire-retardant chemicals that pose significant potential health risks. The most common class of fire retardants are the polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which are widely used in polyurethane foam and other plastics.

PBDEs are kissing cousins to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), which have been banned for nearly 30 years because they can cause immune suppression, endocrine disruption, behavioral problems, and cancer-and that's just for starters, according to a 2005 report by the Environment California Research & Policy Center (ECRPC), which also noted that exposure to PBDEs may be especially detrimental to infants and fetuses. On the upside, in August 2003, California outlawed the sale of penta- and octa- PBDE and products containing them. In April 2007, Washington became the first state in the nation to ban PBDEs. The following month, legislature of the state of Maine passed a bill phasing out the use of DecaBDE.

Then again, PBDEs aren't the only thing you need to worry about: The off-gassing of other toxic chemicals, such as formaldehyde (found in chemicals used for stain or water resistance) and toluene (a neurotoxin and an industrial solvent), can cause upper respiratory problems and skin irritation.

To keep your baby's environment as pure as possible, Dierdre Dolan and Alexandra Zissu, authors of The Complete Organic Pregnancy (2006, Collins) recommend purchasing an untreated cotton mattress (organic, if you can afford it), a natural latex one, or some combination of the two. If possible, say Dolan and Zissu, find one wrapped in unbleached wool, which is naturally fire- and moisture-retardant.

Tip: If allergies are a concern, you can also invest in an allergen-barrier encasement or barrier cloth for your mattress to help keep dust mites away. Avoid PVC like the plague, however.

JustAugust 06-18-2008 09:53 AM

Re: Crib mattresses can be toxic !

Yep. We got a very old mattress (handed down from a 10 year old nephew) when Jack finally went into a crib at 13 months old, so the toxins were pretty much already gone, or far less dangerous. For our next bub, if he/she goes into a crib early on, we'll get one of the organic mattresses. They are pricey, but we'll use it for all future babies as well, and there won't be much we need next time around so the 2 things we do can be pricier.

ETA: Carseats actually have all sorts of toxic fumes as well.

naivete 06-18-2008 09:54 AM

Outgassing is why we don't buy new mattresses. We can't afford wool or organic, but if you buy a mattress second hand it's already been outgassed.

It takes about 2-3 years for a mattress to fully outgas, so if you get one after that time frame it's safe, and should still be in great shape :)

(And there are ways to disinfect used mattresses, or you could use a mattress protector)

S Starr 06-18-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naivete (Post 3898339)
Outgassing is why we don't buy new mattresses. We can't afford wool or organic, but if you buy a mattress second hand it's already been outgassed.

It takes about 2-3 years for a mattress to fully outgas, so if you get one after that time frame it's safe, and should still be in great shape :)

Interesting! And here I felt a little bad for using an 8-year-old mattress, figuring that the longer it had been breaking down, the worse it probably was!

kezoo 06-18-2008 11:16 AM

Yes, we bought a latex mattress for the new baby. Bonus is that dust mites cannot live in latex (which is why the rest of the family also have latex mattresses).

cheygirl 06-18-2008 11:21 AM

I'm still kicking myself for buying a vinyl-covered crib mattress for DD. We never bought a crib (we coslept) so it sat, all wrapped up, for a year before I unwrapped it to put on her toddler bed; and and that's when I discovered the vinyl layer under the "organic cotton mattress cover" they sold us on. I called up the store and complained that they hadn't been upfront about the vinyl under the organic cotton. I tried to get a refund/exchange but they wouldn't take it a year after. I considered ripping the the vinyl layer off, but decided against it, because god knows what the foam inside is impregnated with. I'm pretty sure the PBDEs are added to the foam layers in mattresses (not the vinyl, though vinyl has its own problems).

So I let it offgas for a few months, and then covered the vinyl with 3 layers (their organic cotton cover, an cotton allergy cover, and a wool pad). Next time I'm buying a real organic mattress, from an organic store. :( That's my mattress vent.

Indianamom*2 06-18-2008 11:25 AM

I never knew about it and when we saw it on the show me and DH gave each other the most disgusted look. Here we spent $80 for a brand new mattress for DD and its releasing toxic fumes for her to breathe in.
It makes me sick.

Our Mattress is made with wool on the top for waterproofing, antibacterial, and temperature.

Would a wool mattress pad help with the gassing ? We have a waterproof one on there but I dont think that its anything special.

TLBW31 06-18-2008 11:39 AM

I have heard that there are scientist that believe that some SIDS cases are caused by toxic fumes from mattresses. It's scary to think about.

Indianamom*2 06-18-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLBW31 (Post 3899520)
I have heard that there are scientist that believe that some SIDS cases are caused by toxic fumes from mattresses. It's scary to think about.

That is scary ! :cry:

starsandlollipops 06-18-2008 01:50 PM

I spent nearly 400.00 on an organic cotton/wool/natural latex mattress for DD's crib.. I don't regret it at all! Next is our bed :giggle: