Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My nb's rash is getting worse (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460033)

myfrugalfunlife 06-18-2008 11:39 AM

My nb's rash is getting worse

My little guy is four weeks old and has had a nasty diaper rash for three of those weeks-his pediatrician put him on a prescription compound, with the ingredients of maalox, desitin, and nystat. At first it started clearing up great and he wasn't fussing so much when I changed him but yesterday it started coming back-red and bumpy that bleeds-its now creeping up his stomach :headscratch: His prescription ends today so I called his pediatrician and we're heading back in this afternoon-I've never heard of a nb having a diaper rash, especially this bad! He's been in sposies since I started the prescription but even before that, cds didn't seem to help. I also just use wash cloths and plain water to wipe-and he almost screams when I touch it, it hurts him so bad. :cry: I've also air dried him a lot and used breast milk on the rash, along with almost everything over the counter I could think of, nothing is working :( sara

trying4more 06-18-2008 02:59 PM

Re: My nb's rash is getting worse

Washing Dipes with tea tree oil will help kill yeast!
It can take time to heal! Air is great for healing!
Bacteria loves warm, dark, and moist! Try getting rid of those first and see what happens!

Mom2CoopnBelle 06-18-2008 03:03 PM

My ds always had really bad diaper rashes. The only thing that REALLY worked for us was Vusion. Its an rX diaper rash cream. You can't use it ALL the time though, because your dc will start to get used to it. Its a simple fix really.. just rotate between this cream and another one for each rash.

:hugs:

Rashes SUCK! My ds just has really sensative skin!

myfrugalfunlife 06-18-2008 03:50 PM

well we just got back and dr wants me to refill the compound prescription for one more week and to also use triple paste with it, which I've already tried but she thinks putting that on top of the prescription will help :headscratch: sara

JustAugust 06-18-2008 05:15 PM

Sounds like yeast. Is he in cloth or disposables? I'd try disposables with the cream for a bit until he clears up if you haven't been. Poor little guy, I hope he heals soon.

jewelzbird 06-18-2008 05:33 PM

We had this. What worked for us was a rotation. We put cortizone cream with nystatin (RX for yeast...call and ask for it if you don't have it...they can just call it in to the pharmacy!), then tripple antibiotic ointment (not neosporin brand i hear it has an irritating additive in it) with nystatin at every other change. We eventually were given an RX for bacteria too, which we rotated in.
Ex: diaper change 1:cortisone cream with nystatin over it
" " 2: antibiotic cream with nystatin over
3: bacteria cream with cortisone
This was the only thing that worked once we got to the bleeding stage. Also we used and bowl of tepid water with a squirting syringe thing to clean him (like for meds), not wiping...too painful! So sorry! It will get better and your baby will one day giggle during changes i promise!
PS I love triple paste, but if there is yeast i was told the regular diaper creams breed more of it and to not use them during that time.
PPS Take probiotics twice a day and make sure you air dry nipples after feedings if you are Bfing!! This yeast thing can get out of hand and you can get thrush...which REALLY sucks!! Wear a cotton bra too!

myfrugalfunlife 06-18-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewelzbird (Post 3903332)
We had this. What worked for us was a rotation. We put cortizone cream with nystatin (RX for yeast...call and ask for it if you don't have it...they can just call it in to the pharmacy!), then tripple antibiotic ointment (not neosporin brand i hear it has an irritating additive in it) with nystatin at every other change. We eventually were given an RX for bacteria too, which we rotated in.
Ex: diaper change 1:cortisone cream with nystatin over it
" " 2: antibiotic cream with nystatin over
3: bacteria cream with cortisone
This was the only thing that worked once we got to the bleeding stage. Also we used and bowl of tepid water with a squirting syringe thing to clean him (like for meds), not wiping...too painful! So sorry! It will get better and your baby will one day giggle during changes i promise!
PS I love triple paste, but if there is yeast i was told the regular diaper creams breed more of it and to not use them during that time.
PPS Take probiotics twice a day and make sure you air dry nipples after feedings if you are Bfing!! This yeast thing can get out of hand and you can get thrush...which REALLY sucks!! Wear a cotton bra too!

Thanks for all the info! sara

Menfusse 06-19-2008 07:03 AM

I was gonna say at this point it sounds like there is a bacterial component as well. I would go with the script and alternate with bacitracin ointment, not neosporin. Straight bacitracin is more effective against staph, which is usually what causing bacterial diaper rashes. We all have it on our skin, and when a rash happens from say yeast, it gives the bacteria a chance to flourish. So, I'd fill the script, skip the triple paste, and go with the bacitracin in between applications of the script stuff.