Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Regretting not trying harder... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460085)

ooocharmsooo 06-18-2008 01:21 PM

Regretting not trying harder...

I am so :banghead: and :~ about not breat feeding my son.

I regret it 100% not trying harder.. and seeking LLL or alactation consultant.

While I was in the hospital my son was SCREAMING because he was so hungry.. and I gues she wasnt even getting colostrum or anything :( and he was a pretty big boy (8lbs 3oz) and it was all down hill from there. I don't think my milk EVER came in even though I would try and make him latch on a lot. but anyways.. He is 4 months old now (and a healthy 16.5 lbs) and on Similac Soy formula.. and I REGRET IT SO MUCH!!!! I just don't know how to get over this slump. :confused:

anyoe else ever feel this way?

Lovely 06-18-2008 01:29 PM

Re: Regretting not trying harder...

I did after having DS. I tried with dd and she wouldn't latch and I got frustrated and gave up. I was only 20 and didn't really care either way. Well I decided while I was pregnant that I was not going to nurse DS. Then after about 2 months I regretted it. But the feelings passed in about a week. I still get a little down when I see or hear about ppl breastfeeding. I'm a little let down with myself for not trying.

SmileyMoo 06-18-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooocharmsooo (Post 3899893)

While I was in the hospital my son was SCREAMING because he was so hungry.. and I gues she wasnt even getting colostrum or anything :( and he was a pretty big boy (8lbs 3oz) and it was all down hill from there. I don't think my milk EVER came in even though I would try and make him latch on a lot. but anyways.. He is 4 months old now (and a healthy 16.5 lbs) and on Similac Soy formula.. and I REGRET IT SO MUCH!!!! I just don't know how to get over this slump. :confused:

You tried. That is more than a lot of people do. Don't blame yourself, blame the nurses that didn't offer more of a support and try to point you in the right direction. :hugs: Little or no support is what I blame for MOST breastfeeding problems. Its nothing to be ashamed nor should you beat yourself up over it.

My Sweet Blessings 06-18-2008 01:38 PM

I feel ya. I really do! i had a similar situation with DS1. I didnt know where to turn and the LCs int he hospital were horrible. The result was me pumping with an avent hand pump for 3 months until i was bone dry. i was devestated. i learned a lot since then and have been able to BF DS2 100% without much trouble. My first experience made me that much more determined to make it work the second go round. hugs! I know exactly how you feel.

on a side note, have you considered relactating? is that even possible? ive heard of people lactating and BF their adopted child, so maybe you can do that for your baby? 4 months isnt a terrible long time. maybe ty kellymom.com for some pointers???

luvmy2girls 06-18-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooocharmsooo (Post 3899893)

It's possible to relactate if you still want to breastfeed. Visit kellymom's site and get to a LLL meeting or call the LLL Hotline 1 877 4 LA LECHE
GL

paintedbison 06-18-2008 01:43 PM

Yeah... you could try and relactate if you really regret the decision. It's easiest if baby is around 4 months old or less... so you might have a good chance. If nothing else, maybe you can use this experience as motivation to try some different things if you have another baby. :hugs:

moonphishers 06-18-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy2girls (Post 3900144)
It's possible to relactate if you still want to breastfeed. Visit kellymom's site and get to a LLL meeting or call the LLL Hotline 1 877 4 LA LECHE
GL

Indeed!!! this is just what I was going to post!!! LLL forums have a section (here) just for this very thing :D

GOOD LUCK MAMA!!! :thumbsup:

wanting3more 06-18-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy2girls (Post 3900144)
GL

That's what I was thinking. If I were you, and it bothered me that much, I would put all of my efferts into relactation, contact my local LLL leader, and research like crazy. If this is something you plan on trying, keep us updated. Maybe there is a thread about it in the bfding section on here.
:hugs:

andivebeen 06-18-2008 01:48 PM

:hugs: I second the pp about relactating. Kellymom and Dr. Jack Newman http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml
are both wonderful resources.

Don't beat yourself up over it: you can't succeed at something you don't have enough info on. There is lots of bad information out there about breastfeeding, even by doctors and nurses (despite how well- meanining they are.) It sounds like your newborn was born with another issue; it's a well documented fact that baby's are not born hungry and don't develop "hunger" for the first 3-4 days. Maybe with some research you can figure out what "went wrong" and avoid it next time (of you have another) or use that info to help another mama in her time of need.

Good luck mama, the loss of a breastfeeding relationship can be like losing a loved one; only society doesn't treat it that way :cry:

:hugs: :goodvibes:

wanting3more 06-18-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonphishers (Post 3900188)
Indeed!!! this is just what I was going to post!!! LLL forums have a section (here) just for this very thing :D

GOOD LUCK MAMA!!! :thumbsup:

You have to be a member to access that page.