Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Love the advice (sarcastic) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46035)

GrowingUpMad 09-28-2006 01:32 PM

Love the advice (sarcastic)

So I mentioned to a certain person about trying the formula and Lilly throwing up 3 times from less than 2 ozs. I said I would not be giving her anymore of that, she obviously has a sensitive stomach and mamas milk is best. This person actually said I should still give formula in case there is ever a time where it's needed ut to water it down. WTH?? One, why would it be needed if my milk is fine and two watering down formula??

Another wonderful comment ~ I am at the mall sitting on a bench feeding Lilly and an elderly woman comes up and says there is a time and place for that and in public is not one of them. Hello?? Babies got to eat.

My dh ~ I went out to lunch with him yesterday. Getting on the elevator he says "did you bring a bottle?", um, no. He siad well lts just grab Subway and eat in my office then. He is embarrassed that I fed Lilly at breakfast the other day (covered up I might add).

Why are people so against it? Iget these aweful dirty looks all the time and since I am modest I am covered, what's the big deal. It's natural, deal with it.

ChurchPunkMom 09-28-2006 01:36 PM

Re: Love the advice (sarcastic)

:hugs:

urchin_grey 09-28-2006 01:40 PM

Ugh, I hate that people are treating you like that. :hugs:

People are just like that though... Even my SISTER said something about me, BEHIND my back about me trying to nurse Bram in the HOSPITAL. She was was telling my mom (she still lives there, she was like 16 at the time) "OMG, G'ma and Aunt Marti saw Carly's BOOB." Uh, duh, they could have left the room if they wanted and I wasn't going to put off learning how to nurse my 6 hour old baby because I had visitors. :banghead:

togg_mama 09-28-2006 01:40 PM

That certain person can go jump in the lake! :giggle:

Next time a lady says something like that, just say, "hmmm... not breaking the law. I'm not about to abuse my child by not letting her eat when she's hungry!"

As for DH... well, I guess I'd roll with it, but only cause he's my hubby. :)

mom2zephyr 09-28-2006 01:48 PM

I don't have formula in my house, but I do have a freezer full of breastmilk. You know "just in case" :mrgreen: In fact DS slept for 9 hrs last night and this morning I told DH last time he slept that long we struggled with supply all day. he opened the freezer and said "I think you'll be ok" LOL!!

As far as public opinion, I have got to honestly say I've never had a problem. I do however get this "I dare you to say a word" look on my face!
I cover with a light blanket and TRY not to nurse in crowded places, or around a bunch of kids (mainly because I don't want to deal with the kids or the parents should they have a problem with it).

It frustrates me too that our society still has such an issue!
Sounds like your DH needs some: :gonnagetit: LLOL!!!:laugh:

Kama 09-28-2006 01:51 PM

You know its kind of funny but I get way more dirty looks and stuff when I cover up then when I dont. Its because if I cover up its obvious what I am doing but if I dont it just looks like I am cuddling her to most people. You are doing what is best, don't let other people get you down.
Something about a baby being involved lowers peoples inhibitions and they just open their mouth and spit out whatever innapropriate thing they can think of. I dont think some people really think it through, (they dont even stop to consider where you SHOULD nurse only where you shouldnt because if they did they would realize there is no where "private" to nurse in public places).
As far as your husband goes, it sucks he isn't being supportive, but I bet the more you do it he will gradually become desensitized to it and be ok with it.

KnottyLDSMama 09-28-2006 02:14 PM

I'd have had rounds with that lady, but that's just me. Nobody had ever said anything bad to me about NIP, but I think I give off that vibe of "Please say something, I dare you!" lol

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-28-2006 02:48 PM

OMG Mama I am sorry you have to deal with that :hugs: it's lucky no one has said anything to me yet cause I would SO go OFF!!! It irks me to no end, before we had Gavin hubby too was sorta against the idea of me feeding him in public but not anymore, he understands that lil man has to eat and that I am NOT about to go to a bathroom or make him wait, and I do cover up anyways... :hugs:

ETA: I just can't believe how that lady SAID that!! OMFG you would think you were having sex in public or something the way she said it! WTF!!!! :mad:

sherbear178 09-28-2006 02:56 PM

:hugs: People are so stupid. I dont think they realize sometimes that breasts are for feeding babies (not sex) and that there was a time when formula didnt exist and breastfeeding was pretty much your only choice. I have no problem with NIP. I dont NIP but that is beacause I feel awkward about it. I have very large breasts and its much easier for me to do it in private. There is nothing indecent about feeding your baby so dont worry about anyone else's comments!:thumbsup:

offlikeapromdress 09-28-2006 03:35 PM

I have the opposite problem. When Aidan was born we had a ton of problems: tongue tied, allergic reactions I had, didnt gain back birth weight. Anyway, I had to do some supplementing with formula but I still bf. We were at a mcdonalds in KC for a trip and I was feeding him with a bottle and I had on a BF'ing advocacy shirt when a woman came by and said "you really should try bf'ing"...

then a couple of weeks later we had Aidan at a plastic surgeon appt and my husband was feeding him a bottle and a woman and her two kids came in and the little girl said "look he is eating" and the woman said "Oh, its a bottle"...lol. the funny thing is: I AM BREASTFEEDING!!!! just had to do a little supplementing and we are trying to wean him to bm exclusively now but Im having to build back up my supply. Some people are sooo rude...