Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If I can ask..How much do/will you give your child for allowance? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460576)

ive 06-18-2008 07:16 PM

If I can ask..How much do/will you give your child for allowance?

In the thrifty forum. A mama brought up a good topic about buying name brand clothes and how being thrifty is hard with teenage children who don't care how much it cost as long as they are in style. I'm not knocking what she or others do so pls don't think I'm being judging. I'm simply wondering now...as my son is only getting older...

What kind of budget or allowance do you give your child or children? Also one other question is when did you start???

Poll is up and its multiple choice.

amphibology29 06-18-2008 07:27 PM

Re: If I can ask..How much do/will you give your child for allowance?

What do you mean by "including clothing" in your poll?

mommyof2wildboys 06-18-2008 07:29 PM

I voted other and age 3-5 years. My DS is 4, and we just started paying him for extra jobs he does. He always wants toys when we go to the store so instesad of me buying them, he has to "work" to get his own money to buy them. We give him a qaurter for every job he does. They have to be extra jobs, something that he is not already supposed to do on a daily basis. Example: After dinner he clears his spot at the table. This is expected so he doesn't get a quarter. Yesterday I vacuumed and he wraped the cord and put it away. He got a quarter for his piggy bank.

elenasmommie 06-18-2008 07:32 PM

my dd WAY to young for that lol...shes 9 momnths old....

mom2LBJ 06-18-2008 07:34 PM

I voted other, FIL gives our 4yo $20 every Sunday when they come to visit. SIL & SIL (30 yo twins) Thought it was cute to teach DS how to ask FIL for money :headscratch: So for about 8 months now hes been giving him $20 each week. At first SIL was taking him out to purchase toys until it got out of control and I asked DH to put a stop to it. He still gives him $20, but we either put it in his piggy bank (this huge one where you have to smash it in order to get your money out) or in his bank account. The older he gets the more well let him choose what to do with his allowance to help teach him more.

The only other money he gets is whats in their bank accounts. DH and I have a savings account for both boys. Each month money is set to be transfered from our account to theirs. They also have accounts with SIL and her bank that she started for them.

ive 06-18-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphibology29 (Post 3904340)
What do you mean by "including clothing" in your poll?

great question:). Clothing allowance was mentioned in the thrifty forum. so if you give a separate allowance for clothing so they can buy what ever name brand of clothing they want. or do you as family just give money to the children and buy all the clothing for the child(ren). and if you buy the clothing for the child, do you buy the name brand clothing without cringing or do you set a limit of how many name brand clothing you will buy a year for them??

BNC 06-18-2008 07:36 PM

I think that by including clothing she means having children buy their own clothes. For example, starting when I turned 12, my mom gave me $150 in August and $150 in March, and I was responsible for purchasing all my clothing. If I wanted to spend $140 on one pair of designer jeans, I could, but she wasnt buying me any other clothing.

I quickly became fond of thrift stores, lol.

~Laura~ 06-18-2008 07:37 PM

Once our LO's reach age 12 they'll receive an allowance of $5 per week, if certain rules are followed. This money is for work they've done so they can get used to earning money and deciding how to spend it.
Every summer we go to garage sales and Goodwill, etc and spend about $50-$75 per child for the next years wardrobe. (I included this amount when answering the poll.) My DD already helps pick her clothes but as she gets older she will have more say, but not total control until age 18.

ive 06-18-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elenasmommie (Post 3904396)
my dd WAY to young for that lol...shes 9 momnths old....

my son is 20months old, but I had a heart attack when I heard the number $50dollars for allowance for clothes alone!!! and then your expected to give additional money for just normal allowance?? to me I hope this is not normal, or else I'll be working another job just so I have enough $$ to give for allowance each month!!. so yea I'm thinking way ahead as well but just been on my mind :blush:

ive 06-18-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 3904433)
I think that by including clothing she means having children buy their own clothes. For example, starting when I turned 12, my mom gave me $150 in August and $150 in March, and I was responsible for purchasing all my clothing. If I wanted to spend $140 on one pair of designer jeans, I could, but she wasnt buying me any other clothing.

I quickly became fond of thrift stores, lol.

Yea she says it better.. I mean exactly that :thumbsup: