Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Silly games when kids are restless or need a distraction (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460867)

Cathy_B 06-19-2008 04:47 AM

Silly games when kids are restless or need a distraction

Hi all, I was inspired by a post in a previous thread to start this thread. What do you do with your kids when they are restless in the store or restaurant? How do you make cleaning up the toys into a fun time? How do you get some quiet time when an important phone call comes in?

Here's one example that I used with my then-2-year-old. I was waiting in line for passport photos for at least a half hour once. It was a queue ... no taking a number then waiting to be called. We were stuck.

Fortunately the floor had patterns on it. So when my ds couldn't take the line anymore (and who could expect him to) I had him: walking on the yellow line, then walking backwards on it, then turning circles on it, then jumping on it, then jumping from the yellow line to green line ... whatever I could think of.

So what has worked for you????????

LilyGrace 06-19-2008 06:53 AM

Re: Silly games when kids are restless or need a distraction

Oh, man, the things we've used over the years! A lot of it is Mrs. PiggleWiggle inspired, so bear with ;)

Be a silly character. Seriously, it works. We've had pirates, vampires, monsters, some mixed up German/Russian guy...

If you have a mason jar, those things are awesome! It became our boredom jar, where lots of different activities were written on slips of paper. It was our room cleaning jar, with cards in it ranging from "put away 5 cars" to "hop on one foot" You have to mix the fun in to get it done sometimes.

We've done 10 second tidies. I have 3 sand timers - a 30 second, a 1 minute, and a 2 minute one. Do you know how much can get done in just 30 seconds? It's a LOT, especially when they're racing around to do it.

Play Simon Says. This works everywhere - grocery store, home, it doesn't matter.

For older kids, I've left notes to/from the fairies: Dear kid, thank you so much! Every night I get to play in the puddles left on the bathroom floor. The ones in the tub disappeared too fast down the drain. Now I can play ALL night! Sincerely, the water sprite. It gets the point without losing my temper.

I'll probably think of more later, but I'm off to search for a good mac 'n cheese recipe right now and my brain has already left the track.

MCR 06-19-2008 09:38 AM

We have ended up doing nursery rhymes like itst bitsy spider and other finger rhymes to keep the little ones attention when stuck like that. We also play whispering in each others ears, makes for lots of giggles from the tickle.

Beebug123 06-19-2008 09:47 AM

Last week I was babysitting another girl and I thought my DD and her were destined to kill each other in the car and was about to the point where I was gonna loose it when I asked them to count all the things out of the window a certain color. They made it a 20 min car ride counting like that in peace.

For clean up we sing the clean up song. Or have a race.

I'm still figuring out the phone one though. It's hard because DD wants to talk to whoever calls too!