Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Milk before 12 months (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461871)

krickison 06-19-2008 09:56 PM

Milk before 12 months

I am wondering why you arent suposed to give milk before 12 months. I have heard all sorts of reasons, alergies and nutrition to name a few. I have to return to work in 2 weeks and DD will be 11 months old. She wont take anything but water from a sippy cup. She had milk once out of her cousins cup and loved it, she drank half the cup before anyone noticed. I have a hard time getting much when I pump, so that isnt really an option for us. We have tried a bunch of differant formulas and arent getting very far in that respect either. So I am wondering if it would be a problem to introduce milk a month early. In my oppinion it doesnt seem like a big deal, so I thought I would get some info before I decide what I am going to do. DD eats yogurt almost every day and hasnt had any reactions to it at all, she loves the stuff. So I am not worried about alergies, but want to know if there are other reasons. Thanks

bellydancer1973 06-19-2008 10:15 PM

Re: Milk before 12 months

If she's not allergic and is getting plenty of nutrients from food, I don't see the problem- especially if you'll still be nursing while you're home.

ETA: Allergies are a worry for some people, but I think the biggest reason is that some people would feed their little babes nothing but cow's milk since it is so much cheaper than formula.

KristenDay 06-20-2008 01:19 AM

I would think that at 11 1/2 month she would be able to have milk if she doesn't have allergies towards it. It is only 2 weeks away from the bench mark.

rkjmom3 06-20-2008 11:31 AM

At nearly 12 months cow milk can be introduced. Cow milk can be hard on little ones because it is made for growing cows, not human babies...so the mineral etc content can be hard on the kidneys and digestion. Formula is adjusted to be more like breastmilk. However, at her age she should be fine, just be aware of new constipation etc once you start. Babies with an allergy to cow milk will often have symptoms when they are BF if the mother uses dairy products.

ariannasmommy 06-21-2008 09:23 AM

I wouldn't think it's a problem

eilla05 06-21-2008 02:10 PM

No at least that is what my pedi said. Greyson is still getting formula and getting cows milk during the day. It is close enough to one year. The main reason they say that is 1. allergies and 2. because there are ppl like the PP said that would give cows milk instead of formula/BM and cows milk doesn't have all the nutrients that formula/BM has that is needed in the 1st year.

She is close enough to one year that it wont hurt her one bit. Also I have read online that the minimum of 16oz a day includes all dairy products. So if she gets 10oz milk 4 oz yogurt and 2oz cheese per day its totally fine!

ddewan 06-22-2008 01:14 PM

We started DS on Milk at 11.5 mos when he outgrew his dairy sensitivity. He did just fine and loved it.

leighsah 06-22-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Cow milk can be hard on little ones because it is made for growing cows, not human babies...so the mineral etc content can be hard on the kidneys and digestion.
Yeah, that is reason I understood it be recommended after a year too. In fact, someone on another board who has a lot of experience with allergies/feeding problems, etc said that a pediatric GI or something had told her that anytime someone begins drinking milk for the first time, the gut actually bleeds some. So I guess after a year, the bleeding is somewhat insignificant, but that it would be significant bleeding in a very young infant.

But I would think 11 to 11 1/2 months is close enough. Did you ask the pedi??

benjaminsmom 06-22-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellydancer1973 (Post 3917353)
If she's not allergic and is getting plenty of nutrients from food, I don't see the problem- especially if you'll still be nursing while you're home.

ETA: Allergies are a worry for some people, but I think the biggest reason is that some people would feed their little babes nothing but cow's milk since it is so much cheaper than formula.

I agree. It shouldn't be a prob as long as it isn't her main source of nutrition. Good luck

aje196 06-22-2008 06:20 PM

We gave our son Milk at 11 months because I had some surgery that didn't let him kick on my stomach (as he was prone to do:giggle2: ) and he did fine. I think as long as they aren't predisposed to allergies you won't notice a difference. GL!