Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1 year milestone! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46349)

SewWhatMama 09-29-2006 09:06 AM

1 year milestone!

Well we reached the one year milestone, last week. YEAH!! I am so glad I have stuck with it. Now though I am ready to start weaning and take back control of my body. LOL! I want to be able to get on a strict diet and get the weight off and I don't feel I can do that while breast feeding.

Anyway, I am having a battle with myself, I am having a hard time just stopping cold turkey. I think I still enjoy the closeness and he still enjoys the comfort, especially when he is sleepy. ahhhh....If I just stop one or two feedings, will my just adjust as needed or will I lose my supply?

Manna00 09-29-2006 09:22 AM

Re: 1 year milestone!

I don't have any answers to your questions--but congrats on one WHOLE year!! Way to go!

honeybunmom 09-29-2006 09:45 AM

Congrats! I'm about 5 weeks behind you, so, I've got no answers and am hopeful to see some good advice. I'm a pumping mama so, I'm wondering if I can cut that cold turkey and just continue with our nightly nursing (which is throughout the night still).

Elisa

sprout18 09-29-2006 12:07 PM

Congrats! We hit our one year last month and ds has seemed to slow down on his own. I just give him milk in a sipy cup and he doesn't seem interested in bf all the time anymore. He does still like to bf when he is tired and during the night (we cosleep) but even that has slowed down on his own. I say just try and give him milk in a sippy (my little one refused bottles since birth) and see if that helps.
Ericka

aschrimp 09-29-2006 02:42 PM

My ds turned 1 a few weeks ago and I haven't got a clue how he'd manage if I weaned him - he nurses so often still! I think i'd be worried he'd starve!

Anyway, my dr (whose wife is my LC) said that often the easiest way to go about weaning is to wait for a nursing strike, and then drop feedings then - easier on the baby, anyway.

I know my ds, even when he asks to nurse, is old enough now that if I give him a drink or a snack, he is ok for a while (during the day - nothing but boobs will do at night). You may just be able to drop a single feeding at a time by replacing with a meal and drink.

I would imagine that if your ds is eating plenty of solids you could go ahead and diet while continuing to bf - it might reduce your milk supply some, but if he's eating plenty on his own, the nursing is just extra anyway.

Alex42106 09-29-2006 02:54 PM

Congrats on your 1 year momma!:goodvibes: :hugegrin: :yay: :bliss: :bighug: :grouphug: I don't have any advice, just congrats.