Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   I succombed to using jarred baby food...kinda LONG... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464387)

tranmama 06-22-2008 03:34 PM

I succombed to using jarred baby food...kinda LONG...

I wasn't sure if I should post this under Breastfeeding Support or Introducing Solids, or even Green Families, so I just chose here! I bought a baby food mill and freezer containers several months ago, because I fully intended on making our own baby food using all organic ingredients. I did, too, for a couple of months. However, DD is still practically EBF and rarely getting solids at a little over 9 months (which seems "incorrect" to me as well as others, though DD is very healthy for her age at about 21 pounds and a real chunkster!). She's been introduced lots different of table foods, though she can't chew yet because she just in the past week got her first tooth, and it's still a "nub". I'm finding that even if I cut the pieces down to very small sizes, she still gags and coughs when she eats them, causing her to not want any more...she pushes it away. I wanted her to start eating more meats, as well as the fruits and vegetables she's mostly getting, and I just got lazy and decided to get the jarred stuff. I wanted her to have those full meals in a jar...the chicken and rice casserole, the turkey and sweet potatoes, things like that. I got some organic (the ones that were on sale) and some not. I want to get her on a more consistent schedule with solid feeding. You know, breakfast, lunch and dinner, which nursing in between and at night.

Why do I feel like I'm doing something wrong by not making it myself? I fully intended on making her food from scratch, never giving her the jarred "crap."

My mom offered a suggestion, which I'm going to try to do. She suggested that I give her the oatmeal mixed with a little breastmilk and pureed fruit that I've made from scratch. For lunch, give her either a homemade vegetable I've made, or if I'm having a rushed day, half of a jar of baby food (one of the combinations...and the jars are too big for DD to finish in one sitting). For dinner give her the other half of the jarred food, or something homemade. I guess by doing it this way, I can still have the piece of mind in giving her homemade foods, and yet still have the convenience of the store-bought food when I need it.

What do you all do?

jjaelovesenglish 06-22-2008 03:47 PM

Re: I succombed to using jarred baby food...kinda LONG...

That is what we started doing. Use half ours, half store bought.

Monzie 06-23-2008 12:00 PM

I offer both jarred and homemade foods. For me, the trouble is that I don't have easy access to good organic produce. If I want anything besides organic apples or carrots, I have to drive more than 25 miles (each way) to Whole Foods or one of the larger grocery stores in the city. And that just isn't always possible. So, I decided that I had a choice...I could either buy the organic jarred food or make homemade stuff with non-organic produce. I chose to go with organic. I still try to make batches of food and freeze them, whenever I can get my hands on some organic fruits and veg. But its nice to have the jarred stuff as back up.

Also, we're vegetarians, so I haven't been really concerned with those "complete meal" foods. I think that's more of a gimmick to appeal to parents who think babies need "meat and potatoes" just like mommy and daddy are eating. Really, if your kiddo is less than a year old, baby food is just for fun and to practice table-skills rather than as an important source of nutrition. Breastmilk (or formula) should be the centerpiece of your feeding routine. The three meals of solids that you are currently considering sounds a bit excessive. Don't be in a big hurry to eliminate breastmilk/formula meals in favor of solid foods just yet. BM and formula are what your baby needs to grow and develop properly. A jar of "turkey and rice" can't compete nutritionally with a boob or bottle. So, don't worry about offering "three square meals" to your LO just yet. A variety of fruits, veggies, some non-allergenic grains, and maybe a little whole milk yogurt should be enough for a baby that age.

tranmama 06-23-2008 01:25 PM

I'm so caught up in what the "experts" (doctors, family, friends) say is "right". They have me constantly questioning my methods, and I take a lot of criticism. I don't have a lot of self-esteem in regards to the choices I'm making for her, because my choices have been completely different to those made by the people closest to me, even completely different than the choices I made when I had my son eleven years ago. Everything I do now is different, so I'm not only being questioned by those around me, but also by myself. I was told by my dearest friend, who breastfed all three of her boys, the first two beyond one year, that by the time DD is a year old, I should only be nursing her once in the morning and once at night, and maybe once during the middle of the night. Otherwise, she needs mostly solids by a year old. There are other issues I'm dealing with right now, in addition to this, that I might put on a thread elsewhere, regarding cosleeping and babywearing. Apparently, I'm digging myself a big hole, according to everyone around me. I need to get some encouragement from a few people. I'm just trying to do what's best for my children and myself.

clothmamaof4 06-23-2008 02:03 PM

Just speaking from personal experience and having people push solids on my kids it's not a good thing so don't be in such a rush to give her solids. If she is happy and healthy let her do it on her own. She'll take solids when she's ready. Don't turn food into a battlefield, you don't want to forcefully feed her or you can give her an unhealthy idea of food. Yogurt is a good idea if she needs supplements and doesn't want regular foods but I wouldn't worry at all. Everything sounds fine.

texanntx 06-23-2008 02:09 PM

first, it's OKAY to feed your baby jarred food.

second, babies don't need teeth to chew. They don't actually chew food with their teeth until their molars come in. (think about it, and the way YOU eat)

finally, sounds like your baby is a lot like one of my kids and my grandson is...sounds like a strong gag reaction to me. That just simply means they are not yet ready for 'pieces' of food. Yea, keep offering it to them, eventually they will get over the gagging! It's a learning experience.

You are doing a find job as a mom! Don't sweat over jarred food!

mccullar 06-23-2008 02:45 PM

i havent read everything everyone put done, but it sounds like your just frustrated, and that your givinger her foods shes not ready for. i do think she is ready for solids, but prees not chuncks yet. let her gt use to prees then a little chunckery then true chuncks. i hope that made since. hang in there it gets better.

as far a meat, take wha tyou make, and pree it with the veggies i did that with my oldes. he loved it. i would take tri tip and cut it up then put it in my preer and pree it along with the vegies we were eating, sometime you need to add water.

sorry for my spelling

lulusmom 06-28-2008 02:53 AM

My 9-mo was getting a couple tbs of baby food a few times a week, and certainly not three full meals a day. Many babies that age are ebf, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now that dd is 10 months she is showing more signs of wanting food rather than pushing it away or being disinterested, so we're taking that as a sign that we can give her a little more. Your lo will definitely clue you in when he or she is ready for more.

clanoblackadders 06-28-2008 04:29 AM

I am breastfeeding our third, almost 9 mos. Sometimes I just get plain ol' lazy and don't bother making her any solids. (If I do the magic bullet is a godsend - just throw a bit of what we're eating into it and voila - baby food).
Something that all three of my kids liked was to eat the bones from ribs. If you leave a little bit of meat on them they just suck and gnaw on it. Great for teething too.

Boheme 06-28-2008 11:45 AM

Just don't give her purees at all. I've always just given my kids diced up bananas, avocadoes, melon, baked sweet potatoes, etc and if they got it in their mouths, they ate it. They've been self-feeders from the time that they started solids (10mo, 6mo, and 11.5mo) and we didn't have problems with choking/gagging since they learned how to chew and swallow from the get-go. TBH, my oldest and youngest didn't eat a *lot* of solids until they were about 18m, but they nursed so much I didn't worry.

Solids aren't a big deal. Toss some soft chunks of whatever you're eating on the highchair tray and let them go to town on it. They'll love it! :goodvibes: