Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Do I have to start with rice cereal? (kind of a rant, kind of a question) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466328)

glupton 06-24-2008 10:45 AM

Do I have to start with rice cereal? (kind of a rant, kind of a question)

Ok, I must admit that this is my first baby and I don't really know what I'm talking about. :blush:

That said, I have read a little here and there, and I really feel like we shouldn't start with rice cereal. What's in it anyway?

Right now we ebf. We just got home from our 4 month appt where the doctor asked if we had started solids. I said no, we were going to wait until at least 6 months. He said 6 months is maximum b/c of iron deficiency reasons--that the baby won't get enough iron with bf'ing alone. I disagree, but held my tongue. He said at 6 months, we *have* to start rice cereal.

I am leaning more toward self-feeding (baby puts food into his own mouth) and I know that can't happen with rice cereal at 6 months. YKWIM?

So, where does this leave me?!?!?

duckpondsunset 06-24-2008 10:59 AM

Re: Do I have to start with rice cereal? (kind of a rant, kind of a question)

We started tasting at about 6 months. Banana and Avocado first, as that was recommendedby LLL. We really are just starting to eat some solids daily at 8 months and DS is healthy as a horse:giggle: . His cheeks are rosy and he's not weak or sickly from not getting any supplementation of Iron or Vitamin D. DS goes crazy for ripe mashed Avocado and it's nutrient and fat dense-I think it's a great first food. You're doing the right thing waiting until 6 months:goodvibes: All that said-last week I broke down and got organic rice cereal to try and have mixed it with fruit and water and DS loves it:giggle: . I just bought some bulk quinoa to try as well.

I agree with you-I think most of the current research is suggesting that grain is not necessarily the best first food.:thumbsup:

Mama5 06-24-2008 11:01 AM

No you dont. My kids hated that nasty rice cereal.
We started them with avocados. And my last baby, I was too lazy to start solids..LOL That happens by baby #5... And she started feeding herself around 8 months or so. If she could eat it, she ate it...

babyGmommy 06-24-2008 11:08 AM

wait 6 months. you know best. sit her in the high chair and put it on the tray, you never know she might touch it and put it in her mouth, help her the first time. dab her hand in it. if she likes it she stick on her and and try and get more. they know what they want at 6 months they are smart.
my youngest didn't eat cereals never liked them. she didn't really start to eat anything till 8 months. and then she liked meats.
some times you just have to make the docs. happy and tell them somthing they like to hear.

wedpartygirl 06-24-2008 07:10 PM

i tried to make it 6 months - i had every intention of waiting at her 4 month appointment and had the full support of our pedi - then this week, Miss Sydney decided she wanted real food - we started with bananas on Saturday and tried avocado today - we're skipping the cereal - i'm only adding small amounts of solids though because i do NOT want my milk supply to decrease

zacks_mommy 06-24-2008 07:29 PM

ds hated rice cereal with a burning passion. we started with sweet potatoes. he took them off my plate at christmas. I guess that was his sign he wanted solid food!!

MomOfSJandL 06-24-2008 08:02 PM

All 3 of mine hated the cereals. When the most recent ds spit them out at me, I finally decided to read the label (something I am trying to get in the habit of doing anyway) and there is no rice in there... rice flour - a bunch of unpronouncable things, but no rice. We used to mix it in applesauce to make them eat it because Dr said they should have it... well, no more. I just think they're better off w/o it. JMO :-)

eragsdale 06-24-2008 08:09 PM

we didn't start until 6mon but we made our own rice cereal. we didn't use that yucky flake stuff. Then it was blueberries; that is STILL his favorite two foods; but NO you DON'T have to start them on cereal or start solids at 6mon.

uoducks 06-24-2008 09:57 PM

hi,
ya, i think 4 mths is too young to start solids (cereal). 6mths is the pretty much the standard for the age to start. Rice cereal is a good first choice because it is less allergenic than other foods. I started my daught. on solids (cereal) a little over 5mths old. I mixed the rice cereal w/ my breastmilk but you can use formula or water or pureed fruit.
After she was on the rice cereal for a while, i then gave her the baby oatmeal and baby barley for variety...still mixed w/ bm (or with fruit, water, or formula).
Once they master the cereals.. you can make them a little thicker and start also feeding the pureed fruits and veggies..
Finger foods are suggested to start around 7mths..but each baby is different.. i give/gave my daught. small pieces of mozerella, cheddar, cherrios, banana, etc.
the finger food encourage self feeding and it's a fun challenge for a baby too.
Don't be freaked out.. just go slow.. but I'd wait till around 5-6mths old.. and remember..food rejection is normal at first.. just wait a few days and try that food again.
And yes, the iron fortified baby cereals are good for them (rice, barley, oatmeal) because after 6mths they need more iron..not found in your bm.
good luck

borabora511 06-25-2008 06:29 AM

Mama... get a new Ped!!! Really, the rice cereal is going to be the tip of the iceberg... at my DS's 4 month- my Ped asked and I said- nope, no solids until at least 6 months- later if he'll let me... My Ped said "Good"!!! And then said, he's totally fine being EBF until he's 1! (which means he's not going to become anemic if he doesn't eat rice cereal!)

If my DS does eat cereal, I'll definitely make it for him, but there are so many different fruits/veggies that can give him more nutrients than rice cereal- and yes, that includes iron!!!

Just wondering, but I've heard/read about alot of mom's and MIL's pushing solids... Has anyone ever thought to tell them that I'm the mommy now, and not you!!! And a lot has changed since they raised kids! I've had many discussions w/ my mom and MIL about that... and they are much more respectful about my decisions now! :)