Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ISO Your Best Vax Facts! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466788)

cricketsmomma 06-24-2008 03:54 PM

ISO Your Best Vax Facts!

Hi Mamas!
Met our new ped today - we have not vaxed at all yet (DD is 17 months old) because it just doesn't feel right to me to put all of those chemicals into a tiny perfect immune system. But I don't have many solid facts, and I need some to deal with this lady! (our old doc hasn't hassled us about vaxes so I didn't need a good bank of documented reasons to object!). I'd really like facts that are documented/can be referenced - not just opinions, because I didn't go to medical school and there's no way this lady will leave us alone based on opinion. Our office just got her as the full-time ped and she's got a great personality for kids, so i'm willing to give her another try before I demand our old family doc for well baby visits. I just need to be able to put up an informed fight....
the thing about her that really bugged me is that she pulled out the percentile graph thing (old doc never compared my kid to other kids)and went on and on about how my 20 lb toddler was healthy but too small (20th percentile or something) and if she gets sick she has no weight reserve... well, my kid eats a ton and prefers fruits and veggies to ice cream or junk, and she is really really amazingly healthy - I think this lady is nuts for telling me to make my kid gain weight. Sorry, I'm ranting...:yuck:
whatever solid vax advice/facts you have would really help me out!

BTW, she listed her recommended vaxes for my 17 month old in order like this:

1. DTap
2. Polio
3. MMR
4. Chicken Pox
5. Hib (isn't my kid too old for this? she tried to scare me with menningitis, pneumonia...)
6. Pneumococcal
7. Hep B

Help me mamas!

LilyGrace 06-24-2008 03:59 PM

Re: ISO Your Best Vax Facts!

I LOVE this site - http://909shot.com/

Edited to add one more thing. When you go in for a fight you're saying that you may be able to be pursuaded. Know the facts for your own peace of mind, and tell your ped to pass the bean dip. You employ her, remember?

imommy 06-24-2008 06:21 PM

Get The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. It has all the information you need and you can take it with you to your next appointment and ask specific questions or show her specific things in the book about why you don't want to vax because of the ingredients, etc. etc. I'm half way through The Vaccine Book and I really like it. It has been so helpful to me! :goodvibes:

myfrugalfunlife 06-24-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imommy (Post 3964519)
Get The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. It has all the information you need and you can take it with you to your next appointment and ask specific questions or show her specific things in the book about why you don't want to vax because of the ingredients, etc. etc. I'm half way through The Vaccine Book and I really like it. It has been so helpful to me! :goodvibes:

i just ordered that book off of ebay and can't wait to read it! I vaxed my two dd's but am looking at delay/select vaxing my son. One thing, my dd's have always been in the 10th percentile for weight/height and my pediatrician has never made any comments about it being a problem-those charts are just to keep track of your kids growth, to make sure its either staying consistent or progressing at a steady pace, and not all of a sudden dropping-for example, if your child has been at the 10th percentile in weight for several visits and then all of a sudden drops down to the 5th percentile-this would indicate a potential problem. I have several friends who's children aren't even on the chart, because of their size :giggle2: sara

Kanga 06-24-2008 08:12 PM

It isn't your job to prove to your dr. why you believe in not doing vaxing. If she presses, just keep repeating "We're comfortable with our decision and it's not up for discussion." as many times as necessary. Honestly, you'll never convince your decision is the right decision. No matter what evidence you present her with, she'll find something to counter it with.

And 20% is not that low. Vaxed or not, kids get sick so that should have nothing to do with it. What's more important than the percent is that they are not jumping all over the place and their diet. If they're 60% at one visit, and 20% the next, then yeah that'd be something to be concerned about. But if she's always in the 20% and has a healthy appetite, then that's just her body type and there's nothing you can do about it. In today's world with childhood obesity rates at the highest it's ever been, 20% really isn't as low as it sounds.

I'd start looking for a new one.

haydn'smommy 06-24-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanga (Post 3965656)
It isn't your job to prove to your dr. why you believe in not doing vaxing. If she presses, just keep repeating "We're comfortable with our decision and it's not up for discussion." as many times as necessary. Honestly, you'll never convince your decision is the right decision. No matter what evidence you present her with, she'll find something to counter it with.

And 20% is not that low. Vaxed or not, kids get sick so that should have nothing to do with it. What's more important than the percent is that they are not jumping all over the place and their diet. If they're 60% at one visit, and 20% the next, then yeah that'd be something to be concerned about. But if she's always in the 20% and has a healthy appetite, then that's just her body type and there's nothing you can do about it. In today's world with childhood obesity rates at the highest it's ever been, 20% really isn't as low as it sounds.

I'd start looking for a new one.

Amen to this! Maybe I'm the oddball, but in my practice I'd rather the mom/dad/parent be upfront and honest with me about their choices. If they don't want to vax, fine, a-ok by me. Tell me that you are comfortable with your decision and I'll support you to the end (as long as it's not something that will kill your kid). You need to remember that the ped's job is to ensure the health of the child, and that includes physical, psychological, social, and family health and wellbeing. In that light, it is a HCP's job to provide education and support their patient's decisions. It is not our right to bully the patients. That's assault. That's illegal. Do not under any circumstance discuss your choice. Present it matter of factly and make it clear that it's not open for discussion. :hugs:

turtle2who 06-24-2008 08:53 PM

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...en-t-safe.aspx

cricketsmomma 06-24-2008 11:06 PM

I'm inspired - I want another appointment so I can go back in there and stick up for my unvaxed skinny kid! I was pretty discouraged by this lady, and after I had heard such great things about her. But you're right, it'd be a waste of breath to argue with her. I didn't go to medical school, but she did...
I told her that my concerns started when I had an adverse reaction a few years go to a flu shot (stupid me, never doing that again...) and the urgent care docs told me it couldn't possible be vax-related. I had a fever, was unable to use the right side of my body, couldn't see well and couldn't hear (this built over about a week after the vax). Since that experience I've learned a good bit, and I don't have unconditional faith in doctors anymore!

I'm off to see if the library has Dr. Sears.:goodvibes: