Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Delayed/Selective Vax mamas...can you share with me your personal schedule? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467376)

Terra 06-25-2008 07:47 AM

Delayed/Selective Vax mamas...can you share with me your personal schedule?

I'm just tying up my loose ends before meeting pediatrician #3 tomorrow! LOL..

I think I may have nailed down a delayed scheduled that I like and can present to the doctor.

But I would love for any of you mamas to share your personal vax schedule and age you do them!

Thanks so much!! You all have been such a great help to me!!!:hugs:

idigchaitea 06-25-2008 08:04 AM

Re: Delayed/Selective Vax mamas...can you share with me your personal schedule?

I've decided to delay until ds is 2 years old. Here is what we're going to do, which is Dr. Donald Miller's user-friendly vaccine schedule:

These vaccines, given one at a time every 6 months:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole-cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the salk vaccine cultured in human cells)
5. Mumps-given as an adolescent if he is not already immune

However, I am still debating whether or not we'll get the Polio vaccine. Also, I need to find out if it's even possible to get those vaccines separated.

So that's mine! :goodvibes:

Terra 06-25-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idigchaitea (Post 3968957)
I've decided to delay until ds is 2 years old. Here is what we're going to do, which is Dr. Donald Miller's user-friendly vaccine schedule:

These vaccines, given one at a time every 6 months:
1. Pertussis (acellular, not whole-cell)
2. Diphtheria
3. Tetanus
4. Polio (the salk vaccine cultured in human cells)
5. Mumps-given as an adolescent if he is not already immune

However, I am still debating whether or not we'll get the Polio vaccine. Also, I need to find out if it's even possible to get those vaccines separated.

So that's mine! :goodvibes:

Thanks mama! So the DTaP CAN be seperated? Because I don't really want the Diptheria part, but tetnus and Pertussis YES!

I know we are skipping the Polio because of the fetal cells. Is the Polio one you're talking about different in ingredients?

Other than that I've pretty much got the same schedule as well. What I came up with after researching through Dr. Sears book.

dpelephant 06-25-2008 08:12 AM

This is what we have done so far: (we ended up starting early at 2 months because we took an international flight with DD at 5 months - our ped recommended this and she is very pro delaying/ separating vaxes)

Declined: Hep B, rota, polio

2 months: dTp (could not separate)
3 months: prevnar, hib (done at least a week apart)

I have just followed the protocol of every 2 months for those, and had separate vax/nurse visits - one shot at a time.

That is all we will do for now unless our situation changes and daycare comes into the picture.

HTH!

Terra 06-25-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpelephant (Post 3969042)
This is what we have done so far: (we ended up starting early at 2 months because we took an international flight with DD at 5 months - our ped recommended this and she is very pro delaying/ separating vaxes)

Declined: Hep B, rota, polio

2 months: dTp (could not separate)
3 months: prevnar, hib (done at least a week apart)

I have just followed the protocol of every 2 months for those, and had separate vax/nurse visits - one shot at a time.

That is all we will do for now unless our situation changes and daycare comes into the picture.

HTH!

Thank you! Okay, good to know you can't separate the DTaP ... I didn't think so but wasn't sure.

mdeveer 06-25-2008 08:36 AM

Have you looked at the book by Dr. Stephanie Cave What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccines? She has a good, delayed schedule, too, although I'm waiting 'til DS is 3 to start anything (she recommends 4 months), and we'll only be considering polio, DTaP and MMR (split up, of course!). Still not sure, though. I've just about decided to use homeopathic as needed and let the kiddos know when they're 18 what they've had leaving the decision up to them. DD started at 4 months and only had 3 Polio, 1 Hib, 3 DTaP, and 1 Hep B (which I still regret allowing others to talk me into!!), but DS hasn't had any...

Terra 06-25-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdeveer (Post 3969242)
Have you looked at the book by Dr. Stephanie Cave What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccines? She has a good, delayed schedule, too, although I'm waiting 'til DS is 3 to start anything (she recommends 4 months), and we'll only be considering polio, DTaP and MMR (split up, of course!). Still not sure, though. I've just about decided to use homeopathic as needed and let the kiddos know when they're 18 what they've had leaving the decision up to them. DD started at 4 months and only had 3 Polio, 1 Hib, 3 DTaP, and 1 Hep B (which I still regret allowing others to talk me into!!), but DS hasn't had any...

I haven't!! I'll check out that book as well! Thank you so much :)

dragondance 06-25-2008 10:51 AM

I think it depends on the Dtap, as some brands make it all together but it can be gotten separately. I'd ask your pedi if he can get it separately. Personally, I just use the Dr Sears selective/delayed schedule, plus polio because that one is important to me. This is the first baby I've even considered delaying/selecting on, and I might make up my own schedule for next time but for now, I'm basically using his.

moonphishers 06-25-2008 12:01 PM

You can never get pertussis alone (unfortunately)... :goodvibes:

byumommy 06-25-2008 12:29 PM

We skip MMR & Varicella all together since there is no ethical alternative for us. There *is* a non fetal cell Polio vax (IPOL) :)

Look here for fetal cell & non fetal cell vaxes: www.cogforlife.org (click on vaccine sources in the left hand scroll box)

HTH! :)