Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Labial Adhesions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46910)

EmnJJsMom 09-30-2006 09:14 PM

Labial Adhesions

It just registered to me today, that the reason I started using cloth was because DD had a labial adhesion. I'm curious, for those of you who used cloth from birth, did any of your daughters ever or still have a labial adhesion?

Summer 10-01-2006 05:42 AM

Re: Labial Adhesions

My dd had this starting around 2 maybe.:headscratch: I used the prescribed cream and it fixed the problem. She has been potty trained for 7 months now and it has happened again. The reason I knew it might be that was because she was acting like it hurt to pee and she would only go a little bit and often. It's the same symptoms as a bladder infection, but she has never had an infection. The Dr. said that when she reaches puberty it will stop happening because her estrogen will increase and that will keep the skin thinned there.

She closes up enough that it makes urinating uncomfortable for her so I always keep the cream here at home and it seems to help quickly.

I'm curious though why would CD'ing help with this?

EmnJJsMom 10-01-2006 10:27 AM

My ped told me that when cloth diapers were popular, less than 1% of girls had labial adhesions. Now the number is nearing 5% with the large amount of disposables being used.

So I was just curious if anyone had the issue or not using cd from birth. I switched at 4 months when the ped found my daughter had a SEVERE labial adhesion.

I should also mention, they aren't supposed to refuse after 14 months because the labia changes from a mucous membrane to normal tissue...so I would talk to your dr about that.

Summer 10-01-2006 10:48 AM

I have talked to my Dr. about it and he said it "can" happen on and off until they reach puberty. My dd's was also severe because it was 95% closed according to her Pedi. when she was younger. From everything I have read, it can close up again and need to be retreated.

There are certain things to do to help it from happening again like applying a pretroleum there every so often etc...

EmnJJsMom 10-01-2006 12:11 PM

Yeah, my dd had a pinhole opening left to pee out of. I was very turned off to the idea of using estrogen cream on her, but I used it twice and it about half opened up. It opened up more using a&d ointment on it. I haven't used anything on it in about a month now and it hasn't closed up at all, I did notice it starting to close about a month and a half ago when we used disposables for a week vacation.

Everything I read and what her ped said, if it is open at 14 months it shouldn't reclose. But if your dr is fine with it no worries! Good to know too in case it happens to my DD

sharebear2u 10-01-2006 07:18 PM

My girls haven't had this, but it came up recently when I was talking with my Mom. Apparently I had a problem from birth, but they didn't offer creams then and she was told to break it open with a Q tip!! She said I would cry and cry and she just couldn't do it. It came up becase a friend of hers' daughter just got married and they couldn't consumate the relationship because of similar problems down there and the girl, well woman need surgery! My Mom was curious if DH and I had problems since she didn't do it. LOL I said, well you know that we are expecting our 5 child. Don't you remember how they are made?? :laugh:

Sherrie

Mom2Natalya 10-01-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharebear2u (Post 334493)
My girls haven't had this, but it came up recently when I was talking with my Mom. Apparently I had a problem from birth, but they didn't offer creams then and she was told to break it open with a Q tip!! She said I would cry and cry and she just couldn't do it. It came up becase a friend of hers' daughter just got married and they couldn't consumate the relationship because of similar problems down there and the girl, well woman need surgery! My Mom was curious if DH and I had problems since she didn't do it. LOL I said, well you know that we are expecting our 5 child. Don't you remember how they are made?? :laugh:

Sherrie

ROFL!!

My DD has been cd'ed since birth and we've never had this problem. :) But there's no way to know if she would have if she hadn't been, kwim?

EmnJJsMom 10-01-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharebear2u (Post 334493)

Sherrie

LOL that is very odd for an adult to have that. Normally the estrogen produced in puberty opens it up. The dr's options for me were to either let it go, manually open it, use premarin, or wait until it fused completely shut and have it surgically seperated...
I didn't want them manually doing anything and I wasn't going to wait around for it to fuse completely...I did the premarin as much as I hated the idea.

mom2kailinconnor 10-04-2006 05:56 AM

My dd has this. She is 2 1/2 and has had it about a year. It was pretty bad at first but I just used A&D and got it to open quite a bit. The other day she started complaining that it hurt to pee, so I looked and it is closing up again. I guess maybe she doesn't wipe as well, not really sure. I did take her to the ped though to make sure there was no UTI, which there wasn't. They told me the same about it sometimes recurring until puberty. I try to put cream on it at least once a day. I never heard the 14 month old thing.

EmnJJsMom 10-04-2006 10:51 AM

I'm not sure if I heard that at the dr office, read it online, or heard it from someone w/the same experiance.

Either way, I wasn't sure if the cloth diapers were truly "helping" prevent it or not.

It doesn't really matter anymore tho hehe, I'm totally addicted and would NEVER go back to disposables for future children :D