Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Redness, swelling on hand - allergy or acid? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469389)

S Starr 06-26-2008 07:36 PM

Redness, swelling on hand - allergy or acid?

DD gets face rashes from tomatoes; the ped has said this is just a sensitive-skin reaction to the acid. Tonight, though, she had both pineapple (fresh, a large chunk) and tomato, and suddenly started crying about needing ice on her arm. The back of her hand and wrist were red and slightly swollen. Could this just be a reaction to acid, or do I need to start thinking allergies? (I'm assuming that she cried because acid got into a scratch, but I'm worried about the swelling.)

ETA: Still a little puffy five minutes later...

Thanks, mamas!

tallanvor 06-27-2008 01:06 AM

Re: Redness, swelling on hand - allergy or acid?

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Try putting some Bendryl on it if you have it and see if that helps. Or, just washing with warm water. I know that often works for me when my skin reacts.

S Starr 06-27-2008 07:10 PM

So if this happens again, how quickly would I see a change from Benadryl if it's an allergic reaction?
Thanks!

dragondance 06-27-2008 07:15 PM

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Dd has sensitive skin but when she has her true allergy, the hives and the "hot" feeling are much different from the red, slightly irritated skin of acidic food. I can't answer the Benadryl question though, since after reaction #2 the offending food was banned from our house and she hasn't encountered it since. (Anything with artificial cinnamon flavor.) It got worse each time and I didn't want to see how far it would go. Personally, I would give Benadryl orally, not just put it on like a bug bite, but putting it on topically wouldn't hurt!

S Starr 06-28-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragondance (Post 3995453)
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Dd has sensitive skin but when she has her true allergy, the hives and the "hot" feeling are much different from the red, slightly irritated skin of acidic food. I can't answer the Benadryl question though, since after reaction #2 the offending food was banned from our house and she hasn't encountered it since. (Anything with artificial cinnamon flavor.) It got worse each time and I didn't want to see how far it would go. Personally, I would give Benadryl orally, not just put it on like a bug bite, but putting it on topically wouldn't hurt!

Thanks, mama! As many foods/grasses/molds etc as I'm allergic to, I've never had hives as a reaction, so this is a new thing for me.... And of course the child is now hooked on pineapple, begging for it every meal! I've staved her off for a bit, but maybe I'll give her one more chunk and really watch for reactions.