Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Goulash recipe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47188)

Kimmomy2dom 10-01-2006 09:26 PM

Goulash recipe?

Anyone have a good one? We had some good Schwan's stuff tonight, but I think it would be cheaper and tastier made at home. :)
Maybe one that could be made in a crock pot?

sherrydeanne 10-02-2006 11:34 AM

Re: Goulash recipe?

Honestly, I just use ketchup. I don't know if what I've always eaten as 'goulash' is anything near the real thing, but it's yummy :)

Severine 10-02-2006 01:13 PM

When I made goulash, it was just a mish-mosh of things....

1 lb cooked macaroni
1 lb browned & drained ground turkey
1-2 summer squash, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 pkg frozen corn
1 green pepper, diced (cook with ground turkey 1st)
1 onion, diced (cook with ground turkey 1st)
seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder)

I didn't make it in the crockpot. But it didn't take long on the stove.

nellisfamily02 10-02-2006 01:14 PM

All I do is brown some hamburger maybe with some garlic, cook up some elbow noodles and open some diced tomatoes usually 2 cans or so (sometimes the ones with the green peppers in it too). Mix it all together and call it goulash. We top it with parmasean (sp?) cheese.

yummy.

jennclay3+1 10-02-2006 10:08 PM

All I do is brown the hamb meat, add a can diced or stewed tomatoes, a can of corn, and some egg noodles and it's always super yummy .....ETA....some salt, pepper, and garlic powder too (or garlic salt)

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 10-02-2006 10:49 PM

We use elbow noodles, 1 can tomatoe soup, water and hamburger browned with onions.. then a bit of salt and lots of pepper... very easy fast and my fav!

Mom2_2Cuties 10-04-2006 12:41 PM

A friend in the cooking club I am in just made this....it was delicious! It would be great over some egg noodles or even rice...

Beef Goulash Soup

Ingredients

2 lbs stewing beef 4 cloves garlic, chopped, or pressed

2 green peppers, chopped 6 carrots, sliced, or diced

2 medium onions, chopped 7-8 stalks celery, sliced, or diced

6 small- medium potatoes, diced 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes

2 14 oz cans broth 2 TBS tomato paste

2 TBS paprika 1 tsp Marjoram

2 TBS flour Celery Salt to taste

Seasoned Salt & Seasoned Pepper to taste

Crushed Caraway seed (optional) to taste

Crushed Celery seed (optional) to taste

Heat large soup pot over medium heat. Pour 1 -2 TBS olive oil in pan. Add diced onions and cook until golden.
Add beef and garlic, cook until beef is browned, then add paprika and cook for several minutes
Add carrots, celery, peppers and cook for a few minutes.
Add tomato paste cook for 1-2 minutes
Add tomatoes, broth, marjoram, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until beef is tender.
Add potatoes, and 1- 2 cups water as needed as liquid has probably cooked down. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are done.
Mix flour with water to make a thickener and add to goulash. Cook for several minutes.
Add caraway seed, celery seed, salt, pepper, celery salt, to taste. Cook for a few more minutes and then serve.
Yes the recipe can be halved, and also increased. Halved probably serves 8, regular at least 12 if not more.

tng_mama 10-04-2006 01:12 PM

Mine is pretty simple:

Browned hamburger
onions
green peppers
can of tomatoes
can tomato paste
elbow macaroni
salt
pepper
thyme
LOADS of cheese!

It's a favorite here!

MommaRhi 10-05-2006 09:53 PM

Here's one thats similar to the one I use:

http://www.recipezaar.com/97566

MapGirl 10-14-2006 10:30 AM

The trick to great tasting goulash in our family is to add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ketchup in at the same time you add in the chopped tomates/stewed tomatoes. My mom makes fabulous goulash and she also uses her own home canned stewed tomatoes, but none of us can duplicate that. LOL

Good luck!