Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need advice on salvaging CDs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473710)

hajenkatt 07-01-2008 11:38 AM

Need advice on salvaging CDs

I took the kids to their grandparents for three weeks. I came back and after a week of adding to my diaper pail realized that my husband (in a very uncharacteristic move) did not wash the dipes in the pail while I was gone. I just went to do a load and found out I have MUSHROOMS growing out of my diapers. Not mold. Not mildew. But honest-to-god gigantic mushrooms growing out of the ones on the bottom. I am so angry I could just spit.

We are using all cotton Snap-to-fits. Is there ANY way I can salvage these diapers?

Update:

We chucked the whole bag (as you could see from the photos). By the time Hubbie got home I knew it must be a lost cause, but I made him sort through the dipes anyway. I figured that would be a fitting punishment, to start.

My son is nearly two and has shown interested in potty-training, so I don't know that I want to replace everything I lost (which was 10 or so dipes--Usch. Just typing that number hurts).

I have a really old stash of dipes that I am thinking of using, but all the velcro needs to be replaced. We haven't found the foot-pedal to our sewing machine after the move, so I am trying to get the logistics on THAT worked out.

Otherwise, I didn't kill my husband or break his legs. Though I did tell him it's a damn good thing I don't like diamonds or I would be expecting some serious bling this weekend.

An added bonus was that the garbage men didn't fall over when they hauled the shrooms away. I wouldn't have wanted to be liable for that.

oldmanpants 07-01-2008 11:43 AM

Re: Need advice on salvaging CDs

Holy cow :clapclap:
Bravo for science!
Sorry I don't have any advice... not to make light of your dilemma (I think I'd kill DH) but think about a time years from now when you'll tell this story and laugh about it :)

Bean 07-01-2008 11:44 AM

Oh my goodness!!! I wouldn't even know what to suggest.

todzwife 07-01-2008 11:46 AM

Yikes! I'd probably take them outside and spray them off with a hose, then soak in bleach for awhile (not too long or it will kill the diapers). Then do a wash with oxyclean and some ecover softener because they are going to be hard as a rock after being de-gunked.

amiemarie7 07-01-2008 11:55 AM

I SOOOO KNOW ITS NOT FUNNY, BUT AT THE SAME TIME IM LAUGHING AS I TRY TO VISUALIZE THIS. i had know idea that could even be possible. cant mentionn this to y hubby, he may freak.

AmyCivic80 07-01-2008 11:57 AM

Where the heck did the mushrooms come from?!?!?!?! :headscratch:

Liddle1 07-01-2008 12:01 PM

omg I'm so sorry mama! but I'm also giggling a little, it's gross but it's funny too heehee!

I would do as PP suggested... spray them off and soak them in bleach. Just make sure to use fabric safe bleach, and not more than an hour I'd say. Then maybe wash them twice with hot water, a full dose of detergent plus a few drops of dawn. That should kill everything.

sherrydeanne 07-01-2008 12:02 PM

Bleach, definately. If you have a top loader, I'd boil some water and add it in to make the wash super hot, as well.

chloecat 07-01-2008 12:02 PM

okay mama---dont' use bleach. you will kill your diapers. a tiny tiny bit--like 1-2 tablespoon is one thing. but a whole soak will ruin them.

try this.....

-spray off outside like pp said to get all the loose gunk and mushrooms off diapers
-dump in the washing machine with full strength oxiclean. read the directions on the back for their "power soak" and use that mixture.
--leave sit overnight in this mix with water completelty covering them
--drain in the morning and do 2 full wash cylce with the normal soap you use and an extra rinse at the end.

that should do the trick. if not--pm me and maybe i can think of something else to try!! good luck!!

ooocharmsooo 07-01-2008 12:04 PM

Oh wow.. i wish I could see pics.. and totally kick your hubby too.