Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can Anyone Help? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476825)

ariandlilysmommy 07-04-2008 11:41 AM

Can Anyone Help?

Okay mommas here is the story.
My youngest is now 4 months old. Labor with her was induced because of problems she wash having. I had her at 35 weeks and she weighed 4lbs 7oz. She weighed in at 4lbs even when we left the hospital. Once at home she was given nothing but breast milk for the first month. To our surprise she didn't gain any weight at all. Her doctor then put her on formula and told me to cut my loses breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Now that she is 4 months and has gained very well and is doing great I would like to try breastfeeding again with her. My milk hasn't completely dried up yet but there isn't much there. Any advice from you mommas would help.
What do drink, eat, do etc.....
Anything to build back up my supply so I can give her the best. Please help I am completely clueless right now. No one in my family or my DH's has breastfed so they are no help. Don't even offer support.
Also my oldest is 15 months and on a sippy cup. What do you think about giving her BM in her cup so that she can still get the same nutrients? She had breast milk for the first month but I ended up drying up because she had a weak suck and wasn't able to latch.
Some please help me!

junebug 07-04-2008 12:31 PM

Re: Can Anyone Help?

maybe she didn't have a very strong suck when she was so little and your supply didn't really get going strong :headscratch: there would have been other ways to address that then, but... lets see what you can do about it now.

1. start pumping every two hours (best if you can rent a hospital grade pump)
2. drink LOTS of water
3. there are some supplements out there that boost supply, although i dunno much about them, i'm sure other mamas can advise you there
4. SNS (supplemental nursing system), it will stimulate your supply better than just pumping
5. go see a LC and/or LLL for support. you'll need some if your family can't help you out.

you can always give your oldest BM of course, but it's probably more important for your baby to get it now. so when your supply is well established (this can take 6 weeks!) and it seems that you have enough for 2 kids, go for it!

it's totally doable but it takes time and a lot of determination ! GL mama :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

MANISACO 07-04-2008 12:33 PM

I am not an expert, but I would recommend nursing her as much as she wants, as often as she wants before offering her formula (ie, at every feeding, nurse first, then offer the bottle). Also, pump if you can. After she is finished nursing, pump to get the rest of the milk. This will also help build up your supply. Plus, then you can offer her breastmilk instead of formula while she is transitioning from the bottle to the breast.

Wishing you the best!!!!

odentonmom 07-04-2008 01:27 PM

First, I would consider switching pediatricians. I hate when mamas get terrible advice like that. BFing is not an all or nothing proposition. Your baby will benefit from any amount of breastmilk, even if you could not produce a full supply.

The PP's recommendations sound like a lot of what I was going to say. I would also encourage you to check out:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/Breastfeeding-help.asp
www.lowmilksupply.org
www.mobimotherhood.org.

And consider domperidone.

Here is a link to a thread I posted about pumping to increase supply:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...22&postcount=2

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: You can make at least some milk for your LO, don't doubt that. You were already producing. The difference between maintaining weight and gaining in the early weeks can be a very small amount of milk. So, you were probably only a little behind or maybe your LO was not nursing efficiently. It is certainly worth a try.

*KaiMom* 07-04-2008 03:52 PM

I think you have gotten great advice so far. The best way to get a supply up is to have baby sucking as much as possible. A nurse in would be ideal...seeing as you have another lo this might not be a possible solution but maybe worth a try. Also eating lots of oatmeal, drinking tons of water and taking Fenugreek supplement wll help. A hospital grade pump will also be good if baby wont latch on...sometimes if you get the milk flowing first then try to get baby on they will take the breast better. She will probably be very frusterated at the breast because a bottle is so much easier to get milk out of they don't really have to even suck.

Contact an LC or LLL leader also for support.

Oh, and find a new ped ASAP!

sheleighya 07-04-2008 04:06 PM

According to the LLLI, it takes twice a long the number of months you haven't been nursing to relactate. Now if you still lactate, then great determination to rebuild supply.

If I were you, I would hand express to start out every 2-3 hours, so much better IMO than pumping. Once you start to see milk coming in well, then begin pumping, but if you get good at hand expressing, then you will not need to pump if you do not want to.

I hope you are successful in this endeavor mama. :hugs:

immamom 07-04-2008 04:27 PM

Great advice so far. I also find that eating oatmeal helps. Not just for breakfast but around the clock as a snack etc. That works for me in addition to what other posters have said: drinking water, expressing milk as often as possible, limit stress etc.

And I agree, you might want to consider getting another pediatrician.

It's great that you want to do this :thumbsup:

livvy1216 07-04-2008 07:00 PM

Certainly good suggestions so far...nurse as often as possible!!! To keep your baby interested while nursing, (because with low milk supply, baby can can get frustrated and pull off) you can try doing breast compressions while she is latched. Make a C with your hand; place your fingers under your breast, gently push in towards your chest, and using your thumb gently massage, by rolling towards the areola. do this when baby is not latched so you can see that you are expressing your milk, and know you're doing it correctly.

also, you should try to get her used to a lower milk flow. this could help: when using a bottle, sit your baby as upright as possible. hold the bottle horizontally to her body, and gently sway the bottle up and down so that she will get milk for 2-3 sucks, and no milk for 2-3 sucks. if she is used to this slower pace, she will have more patience at your breast.

fenugreek has worked great for some mothers, and there are also presciption meds too...Reglan is one i've heard works really well. the trouble is eventually needing to wean yourself off of it.

good luck and keep at it!! you're right that any breast milk, and nursing will be great for her and you!