Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cosleeping: how do yo wean them??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4779)

SandyG 05-09-2006 08:24 PM

cosleeping: how do yo wean them???

just wondering??
how do you knwo when they ready?
well im not ready LOL but wondering if i ever will LOL? I know dh doenst want a teenager sleeping with us LOL
ive set my limit til he is about 5 but i dunno
how does that work??
any input appreciate it

nothing_butt_cloth 05-10-2006 09:01 AM

Re: cosleeping: how do yo wean them???

I started weaning my emma who was 2 when i was bot 2 months pregnant. I started by putting a bed on teh ground next to my bed and didnt let her in my bed for a week or so, then I moved her bed closer to the door every night. We were still having her fall asleep with hus in the living room though and we would put her into bed after she was fast asleep. Now we are putting her to bed very sleepy but still awake. and she stays there about 5 nights a week. For her nap she is always awake and teling me "no nap" al lthe way down the hall, but she falls asleep fast. I have never done CIO nor would I recomend it. just my :2cents: I think when not everyone in the bed is happy with the situation it is time. I started whe I was preggy becaseu I didn t want her to think the baby is what made her move. ( even though that was it) But now I want her in my bed and hubby says no way. Oh well. she is 2 1/2 and is fine with sleeping on her own.

Carrie 05-10-2006 09:34 AM

The Dr. Sears Baby book has some good info. about it. As I recall when his wife decides to nightwean she just repeatedly says "no, in the morning" whenever the child wants to nurse in the bed at night. Then after night weaning you could work on dayweaning if you want. We're not co-sleeping but I think many parents wait until the child asks for his/her own bed.

Shannon 05-10-2006 09:50 AM

Well, I don't know that I'm the best person to be giving advise....I am such a weinie...I could have both of my kids co sleeping weaned by now but don't stick to it when we start and they just end back up with us. With DD1 we would just go lay down with her in her bed until she fell asleep...well acually thats what we do with DD2 also....but dd2 can't sleep for more than an hour with out me next to her usually. DD1 did great at sleeping on her own for awhile but now she's back to joining us half way through the night.

Good luck!

bethanyjoy 05-10-2006 03:33 PM

Hey Sandy,
There's a GREAT book called "The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers & Preschoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley, you can probably order it in through your local library if you don't want to buy it.
I'm SO excited by this book! LOL It has chapers on transitioning a child out of your bed that is FULL of ideas to make it easier and fun for the child too, night-weaning, plus virtually every other nighttime challenge there is...and it's all very AP friendly.
HTH!
Bethany

MomsHelpingMoms 05-10-2006 03:51 PM

We didn't cosleep on purpose with dd#1, it just happened, but as soon as I became preggo with dd#2, we knew we had to change it up. We slept our dd#1 on the floor on a homemade cot. It was made out of a lambskin and wool conforted folded into 4ths and on top of that went a huge king size comforter also folded into fourths, then her sheet, blanky and pillow. This "cot" was placed next to our bed. She would wake in the middle of the night and come into our bed, but the closer she got to being like 2 1/2, the more we walked her down to her cot. She has now been sleeping in her big girl bed since September. She naps and nightnights there so there is no confusion. No cosleeping with #2. I put her in the bassinet from the start. I was home before being hospitalized for like 6 days after her birth and sometimes, I would bring her into bed because she would sleep all night and I would just wake to nurse her, but I'm glad that my hubby kept her in the bassinet for the 2 months that I was in the hospital because she doesn't expect to be rocked or soothed to sleep. She much prefers to sleep in her own crib and has been sleeping through the night without ever having to wake and cry it out since she was 3 1/2 months old. :thumbsup:

jennyofthemoon 05-10-2006 08:10 PM

WE cold-turnkey kicked #1 out one day. She was (and still is) a horribly restless sleeper, takes up the whole bed, talks in her sleep..oh, it was horrible!!! But, mind you, she was about 4 or so. One day I went out and bought a new bed ( a "big girl" bed), set it up in her room, and said, you need to sleep in here because I haven't slept in four years (I as also 7 months preggo lol). She cried for about 10 seconds, until she realized that if she slept in her own room, she could sneak books under the covers and pretend to be sleeping :) #2 left the bed about two months later ot join his sis, even though I was sad to see him go that soon. After a couple months he requested his own bed, so we got one and he stayed with his sis anyways :) She kicked him out about a year later, and he has slept peacefully in his own bed since. #3 is almost 3 1/2, and she sleeps literally on top of me most nights, although once in awhile she sleeps with her big sis. I don't really know how to wean them, they seem to sleep where they need to. I think that #1 was probably ready since she didn't throw a fit about it. #2 left on his own. #3, well, I think she'll sleep with me forever if I let her, but she's a peaceful sleeper and I don't mind her in bed with me at all. So I guess I dont have any advice, except they do go eventually :)