Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   This is why I refuse to let dogs around my child!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47834)

Tootsiemomma 10-03-2006 05:35 PM

This is why I refuse to let dogs around my child!!!

Starting this with a disclaimer, to those who have gentle dogs and allow them around your children, this is in no way directed towards you, this is towards those who allow known aggressive dogs around kids. One of my cousins watches a little girl, about 16 months old, cute little girl. She watches her all the time. Well, when this little girl was at home with her father she was playing with their Pit Bull (who apparantly has attacked someone once before) when all of a sudden he hears her scream, and glances towards the dog, the dog had something in his mouth that the father did not recognize as his daughter because the dog was shaking it so violently. The only indication he got that it was in fact his daughter was her screaming. The dog had latched onto her shoulder and shook her severely. I'm told that she is okay although I'm not sure of the damage. I've had a pitt bull before, long long time ago, the one we had decided to latch onto one of our hogs throat. My bf had to literally hit it over the head with a shovel to get it to release (its a wonder it didn't kill the dog) WHY DO PEOPLE ALLOW THESE DOGS AROUND THEIR KIDS??? Especially if they have attacked before??? They are by nature unpredictable and aggressive! I dont' get it!!! sorry major vent there but that little girl could have been killed easily by that dog

annes_cottage 10-03-2006 05:47 PM

Re: This is why I refuse to let dogs around my child!!!

OMG!!! I pray that baby is ok!!!! I would kill that stupid dog. How stupid. I am with you, why the heck was that dog left alone with that baby!!!!!!??? The dog would have to go!!!:banghead:

Hayley 10-03-2006 06:37 PM

I love animals but I will not have a pet ever again just can't be in the same room all the time with them.

momtotwinboyz 10-03-2006 06:42 PM

WOW, that makes me sick!!!

I thought once a dog like that attacks viciously, it has to be put down once it's had the taste of blood.

What the hell is wrong with people. I love our dog (he's a very gently breed). My kids can play in his bowl while he's eating, jump on his back or drag him by his tail (not that I purposely let them) but he has NEVER even nipped at a person in his 10 years. If he ever attacked one of my kids or someone else, however, I don't think he would even make it to the vet to be put to sleep.

I'm glad to hear she will be ok but I'm sure she'll still have scars or at least some reminder(if not psychological as well) for this terrible incident that couldn't been prevented.

Mom2Natalya 10-03-2006 06:46 PM

Well you know, the thing is, dogs are, animals. We have two dogs that I love dearly, and DD Loves, but they are animals and can revert to animal behavior at any time. It's not just pit bulls, rotts, pinschers, etc. It's all dogs.
I read a story once about a year ago where a couple's pomeranian mauled and killed their two-week old son that they had laid on their bed to sleep.
yes. pomeranian.

It's just common sense. Animals are animals and can behave as such, even if we do consider them members of the family.

bethkay 10-03-2006 10:53 PM

Ugh, that makes me feel sick to my stomach. Poor little girl.:cry: I hope she will be ok and they need to put that dog to sleep!

She will be in my prayers.

CMamma 10-03-2006 11:06 PM

This is a serious issue for me... I was attacked my a pitbull as a child. It was one that had attacked 2 kids before me & was never put down. I'd never known that & had been around it for months & one day it just attacked me. I have perm nerve damage in my face.

My 2 yo was attacked by our family dog (boxer) last year & I had to call 911. It probably wasn't as bad as it seemed at the time but it was scary enough to prompt me. I'm still upset by the fact that the dog didn't get put down... he lives w/BIL b/c he's "such a good dog" & at first he was kept away from DS & now we have "nothing to worry about b/c he's not like that anymore."

Anyway... this is a serious issue for me & I really wish people realized that animals are just that - animals. As much a part of the family as they can be, they are still animals & should be remembered as such. I get aggrivated almost daily when DH or other family members leave DCs alone w/the dogs b/c even a minute in another room in long enough... an animal's intentions don't even have to be to kill - they play different than we do - even when I'm in the room our 1 year old dog likes to try & play w/my 9 mo old & we have to remind her not to bite - mind you she's never gone to take off a limb but who knows what would happen if I decided to just leave them alone to wrestle? Puppies actually play aggressively & they need human supervision around "people puppies" b/c that's what they think that our babies are.

Anyway sorry to hijack here. This is just a really sore/heartfelt/upsetting... ugh... just a hard-hitting topic for me.

I'm not saying all dogs are dirty & evil & baby killers... I just don't understand why people don't take responsibilty more often. I know my DH & MIL & BIL look at me all the time & even make constant comments about how I don't like animals & how I'm so mean to them, etc b/c I gate them off in other rooms or put them outside or in their kennels all the time... I don't do that b/c I'm some sort of animal hater - I do that b/c I'm responsible & I care for my children & my animals. If I can't be there to watch everyone then the doggies get to be in one safe area while the kids are in another separate safe area. Apparently that's mean!

ETA: Even a nice dog can do something w/o warning so please be careful. We had dog attach from a gentle dog that was calm & no warning & child wasn't even anywhere near the dog or touching him or anything. The dog charged him from about 15 feet away.

CarrieMF 10-03-2006 11:13 PM

My 7yo was attacked by the neighbor's rotty. She was visiting their dd(9) at her house and I told her to not go in the backyard as we do not trust their dogs at all. For whatever reason they went back there. The neighbor girl opened the gate to the dog pen and the 2 rottys ran out and attacked my dd. Dh just happened to have drove in the yard when it happened, jumped over the fence and got them off of her. The city & police say there is nothing they can do as she was in their yard, inspite of there being previous reports of not only the dogs but the owners too. My dd has not gone over there since and we've tried to run these neighbors out of town but their place didn't sell because they're trying to get $30000-40000 more than what they really can. We're crossing our fingers for a quick sale in the spring.

How the owners treat the dog has a lot to do with it's temperment. Our neighbors are very viscious to their dogs. Their dogs bark all the time, especially when I'm in my garden. Their solution was to yell at it. That obviously didn't work so they started throwing rocks at the dogs. It didn't work either so they bought a BB gun, they only tried it a few times and then they were made to stop before I could contact the police about that one since they were techinically aiming towards my garden/yard. i hate these neighbors.

with small dogs so many people treat them like children and let the dogs run things which causes alot of problems. We have an old english sheepdog and my kids are scared of small yappy things that are the size of our dog's head. We haven't done obediance training with our dog(I've got issues with those) but we haven't let our dog do whatever either. She is spoiled and sometimes sleeps on our bed but we haven't had issues with her and any time a small issue comes up she is disciplined. The main issue we have with her is getting her out the door if there's so much as a cloud outside.lol

mommypatton521 10-03-2006 11:32 PM

I think we're lucky to have a very gentle dog...but some dogs just aren't gentle. It has alot to do with their personalities, some dogs just don't like NOT being the only dog or the only one getting attention etc. There's alot that goes into dog attacks. It's so sad when a child gets hurt. :( I hope this sweet baby is okay.

Also in my mil's neighborhood a neighbor was attacked by ANOTHER neighbors dog. The dog BROKE the chain and went after her. It was bad. She lived she had quite a bit of stitches. They immediately picked the dog up *the pound* and put him to sleep. I Cannot believe that a dog attack goes unhandled i'm sorry to hear that :(

Newtocloth2006 10-04-2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya (Post 339442)
Well you know, the thing is, dogs are, animals. We have two dogs that I love dearly, and DD Loves, but they are animals and can revert to animal behavior at any time. It's not just pit bulls, rotts, pinschers, etc. It's all dogs.
I read a story once about a year ago where a couple's pomeranian mauled and killed their two-week old son that they had laid on their bed to sleep.
yes. pomeranian.

It's just common sense. Animals are animals and can behave as such, even if we do consider them members of the family.

:exactly: No animals should be left unattended with a child of any age. For the safety of the child and that of the animal.