Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bottlefeeding mamas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48001)

pinkflamingos77 10-04-2006 08:45 AM

Bottlefeeding mamas

Do you hold your baby everytime they eat?

I breastfed until 5 months. after that she started on the bottle/formula. I held her and fed her until she learned how to hold her bottle around 6 months. After that she still ate in my lap. well all of a sudden a few weeks ago she started getting very wiggly while eaitng in my lap. Now she dont want have anything to do with my lap while eating. She rolls and kicks and arches her back and tries to reach down to the ground. struggles with me on the whole thing. Well I started putting her in her play area and letting her eat there and she seems just fine and happy with this. you can tell she don't want to be in my lap. she is a very busy baby. always has been. she does not like to sit still or be confined to one area. she is always on the go especially now that she elarned to scoot and sit up. I guess as long as she is happy that is all that matters.

MamaMegan 10-04-2006 08:50 AM

Re: Bottlefeeding mamas

With both kids I always held them during feedings. DD is wiggly and gets distracted now- I wear an ugly, gaudy necklace for her to play with--

urchin_grey 10-04-2006 10:37 AM

I don't anymore... Once he started crawling (at about 8mo) he didn't want to have anything to do with being held like that. I still lay next to him though most of the time when he's drinking his "before bed" bottle.

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention... yeeeahhh, my 17mo still drinks out of a bottle. LOL :blush:

tillers72 10-04-2006 10:39 AM

whenever ds started holding his bottle and not being interested in me holding him (mostly because he didn't want to drink it all at once) I would let him do it on his own in the bouncy seat or swing..

aliks 10-04-2006 10:41 AM

my 13 month old is has 2 bottles a day and he sits in my lap still, I love it since he's so active-it's one of the rare times that he'll sit still and cuddle for a few minutes!

pinkflamingos77 10-04-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliks (Post 340869)
my 13 month old is has 2 bottles a day and he sits in my lap still, I love it since he's so active-it's one of the rare times that he'll sit still and cuddle for a few minutes!

I would love that. the only time i can get her to eat by me is at night before she goes to bed. we lay down in my bed while she eats and then after she s done we hang a little wihle until she falls asleep and then she goes into her pack n play that is by my side of the bed...That is another thing she does not want to do... ssleep in our bed. she will only go to sleep if she is on ehr own. if she is in our bed. she will play and crawl and sit up and mess around the whole time. i was hoping she would sleep with me like my boys did..until they were 3-4 yrs old but I am not sure if that is going to happen. little booger! :giggle:

Newtocloth2006 10-04-2006 11:09 AM

I did only because I didn't want her to be mobile with a bottle. I wanted her to know that when you eat, you sit. We had a few struggles when she'd get distracted. I'd let her down to play, but the bottle stayed with me. She got the message really quickly.

TwinKristi 10-04-2006 11:16 AM

My son will NOT sit on my lap or let me hold him while he's having a bottle. Sometimes I put him in his high chair reclined a little or I'll put him on the couch next to me, like propped on a pillow but reclined. He's a wiggle-worm! I BFd for 4 mos and he did fine, but once he started on a bottle FT he wanted to hold it!

jenn5388 10-04-2006 12:27 PM

miranda NEVER was a quiet cradling kinda baby. she was always wiggly. super wiggly until I gave up. I held her every once in while but normally she wanted to eat in her carseat.

JustAugust 10-04-2006 08:42 PM

I hold him 99% of the time. He's not a bottle holding pro. I wasn't able to BF (looooooong story) and am really really really really upset about it, so I hold him. It makes me feel a little better. I just think if I had been able to BF, I'd be holding him, ya know?
But my case is quite different than yours. I think if your DC doesn't want to be held, then whatever keeps baby happy is best!