Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4815)

mommy2zander 05-09-2006 10:56 PM

Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

We turned our ds forward facing at 18 mos & 29 pounds. But ever since then I have been meaning to turn him rear-facing again... I finally did it today at 23 mos & 30 pounds & plan to keep him rear facing until he reaches the max weight of 33 pounds. I'm curious who else out there has their toddlers & preschoolers rear-facing...

lovemygirls 05-09-2006 11:11 PM

Re: Is your 1, 2 or 3 year old rear facing in the car?

We have our 21 mo old forward facing (but will be turning back to rear facing over the weekend when dh is home to help me.) We are keeping dd#2 rear facing until she hits the 33 lb weight limit

wbkt8 05-10-2006 12:03 AM

dd is 19.5 months and is still rear facing. she's somewhere 23-25 lbs right now. her seat goes to 30lbs rear facing I believe...

i was actually wondering about turning her today as i noticed her head is starting to get close to the top of the seat....i wasn't sure if that was a factor like it is with infant seats or not...maybe someone will answer that....

eta - i marked the 4th option in the poll since that's my current plan.

Drummer's Wife 05-10-2006 12:18 AM

my 14 month old is rear facing and will be until he reaches 33 lbs or is past the height limit. He's 24 lbs now

My 3 and 5 yr old are ff in 5 pt harnessed seats and will be until 65 lbs or they pass the height limit.

mommy2zander 05-10-2006 12:24 AM

The rule of thumb is when the top of the child's ears are over the top of the back of the carseat, they are too big for the seat. I called britax about my son's legs having to be crossed because they are too long & they said that is ok also! & to keep him rear facing until 33 pounds!

Also I just happened to see some advertisements in a parenting mag the other day at the clinic talking about new carseats from safety first & fisher price that are going to sit rear facing until 33-35 pounds & forward facing in the harness until 65 pounds!! NICE to see these important features from companies that are less costly then britax!! I think britax is worth the investment, but if you can't do that investment, now there will be other choices too!! :D

MamaJo 05-10-2006 12:25 AM

What is the height limit for rearfacing?

jls~Kain~Drake 05-10-2006 05:03 AM

I'm curious as to the height limit too....but ds is 27 mo and I turned him around right at 12 mo...to be honest, I think I'm pretty ignorant :) I never really considered that keeping him rear-facing was an option...but at 27mo, he's 35 lbs and 36-37" tall.

4boys4me 05-10-2006 05:43 AM

Our state goes by age. They have to be in a seat until they are 8yr.s old! My poor ds is HUGE and he had to sit in a carseat until recently,lol.. he is 4'9" and 102lb.s imagine that,lol..

anyway, we turn our kids around at a year or a bit after.

Ontariomama 05-10-2006 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2zander
The rule of thumb is when the top of the child's ears are over the top of the back of the carseat, they are too big for the seat.

That is only the rule for forward facing. The 1" of shell above baby's head is still the rule rear facing, whether it's in a bucket or a convertible seat.

JO et al - the height limit would be different for all seats, depending on the particular seat's size. Height is really a guideline, but weight is concrete and you can't go over it, kwim?

HTH!

eta:

Nathan is ff in one vehicle and rf in the other. He's ff in dh's car because the weight limit for the Britax in his car is 20lb rf (2001 model). It's a bonus though - dh has a Kia Rio and it's LITTLE! lol In the van he's ff in his AOE, but he hates it so we're turning him back around. He is in the middle row, and his brothers are both behind him, so he can't see them anymore! :cry:

Carrie 05-10-2006 06:33 AM

My guys are 17 mo. and probably around 25 lbs. We will probably turn them around soon because their legs are starting to touch the back seat.