Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I attended my first homebirth yesterday/today (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48157)

nothing_butt_cloth 10-04-2006 03:25 PM

I attended my first homebirth yesterday/today

I Got a call yesterday that my friend that was due the day after i was, ws in labor. She called around 315, while i was at the lab,and by 430 i was at her house,starting to be her doula. It was an amazing experience. She did so great!!! She was so scared to have the baby, like she has beenw ith the 4 babies before this one. She has a huge fear of pushing. after about 10 hours, she was still only 5 cm. he water broke at the start of labor, but since her contractions started right away, there was no need for concern. The MW didnt check her until the 10 hours had passed, because she was acting like she was in transition, and saying she felt like pushing. She was so upset when she was only 5 but could stretch to a 7 during a contraction. I asked her if she wanted to go into the tub, and she was afraid to be on her back, but the MW also suggeested it, and she agreed. I filled the tub, and she got in. There were no contractions for about 15 min aftershe got in. so i decided to lay down for a minute. Being preggy andup for nearly 24hours, doesnt work well with me. She did not want a waterbirth, so i figured i could get atleast 15 - 20 min of sleep. Well, as soon as i closed my eyes shescreamed and said she had to push. before she could push, babies head shot out like a rocket. and then again without pushing the rest of baby came out. It was amazing. Baby was all wrapped up in his cord, and wasvery blue, and slow to start, but after some Oxygen,andalot ofstimultion, he came around. The MW said the birth was so fast, itwas likely a bit traumatic forhim, andbeing he was wrapped in his cord didnthelp anything. So my friend who had 4 girls, nowh asher first son. he was born at 320 this morning. He was nurisng grea when i left at about 445, and looked great and nice an pink. He was 8 lbs exactly and 21 inches long. And he wsa born 2 days after his edd.
I am so excited for my homebirth now. I hired her MW to atend my birth. Everything went so well, it was amazing. This was the first non medicated bith i have attened as a doula, and i tell you, there is alot to be said for leaving nature alone. She got breaks when she needed breaks, andwhen it was time to work, her body really worked. Her 8 yo dd cut the cord. it was sweet.

I lovetheMW.She didnt get home until 730 thismorning, and she called me this afternoon to make sure i get back to the lab to getmy pee checked. It was sweet...

anyway. it was alot of fun, and very emotional. But just a beauful experience!!

Severine 10-04-2006 03:30 PM

Re: I attended my first homebirth yesterday/today

How wonderful!!! For both of you! Glad it went so well (and that you ended up finding a m/w in the process!)!! :thumbsup:

Hayley 10-04-2006 03:37 PM

that is super!

babiesabove 10-04-2006 04:34 PM

Melissa,
You and I have such similar stories. I didn't realize you also were a doula. When did you add that to the repetoire?

*~Mindy~* 10-04-2006 04:57 PM

how cool! im glad you got through it alright, and that her and the baby are alright and you found your mw and all, thats so great! :D

kht2006 10-04-2006 05:24 PM

Wow sounds like a great experience. Karen

Luv2bemommy 10-04-2006 05:54 PM

WOOHOO! Congrats!! Isn't being a doula just awesome? :thumbsup:

nothing_butt_cloth 10-04-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babiesabove (Post 341746)
Melissa,
You and I have such similar stories. I didn't realize you also were a doula. When did you add that to the repetoire?

I know, it is weirdhuh?? I have been a doula for about2 1/2 years, but have yet to make a cent LOL. I do free births for those who have lost a child, either by MC, stillbirth, ortheloss of an older child. I also do free births for single teenagemoms, and moms with hubbies that are deployed. It is a calling in life, and i dont really care to make any money LOL

I am not DONA certified. but i have done all they have required, and taken all the classes and continue to educate myself. I just figure, if i am not making any money, why should i ay DONA.. LOL

How long have you been a doula

nothing_butt_cloth 10-04-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *~Mindy~* (Post 341809)
how cool! im glad you got through it alright, and that her and the baby are alright and you found your mw and all, thats so great! :D

I did get thru it. I was having an anxiety attack on the way to her house. since she was due the day after me. I was scared how i would handle it. But it was werid. The whole time she was in labor i had ZEROthoughts of a baby. It was all Jen, but after he was bornand all settled down, i reallyy couldn not get out of there fast enough. It is hard to think that rightnow i should be breastfeeding, and cloth diapering, and holding my son after a beautiful home birth. I fee guilty for being jealous of her. but it has only been a few months since my son was still born, so i am thinking my feeling is somewhat normal.
I actualy intorduced her to this MW when she got preggy. I did all my doula training with her, and love her. I dont know why i used a differnt MW last time. But i hired her last week, and shewas so sweet, takeing care of me, while jen was zoning out..I just love her..

nothing_butt_cloth 10-04-2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2bemommy (Post 341929)
WOOHOO! Congrats!! Isn't being a doula just awesome? :thumbsup:

I love being a doula. I am a huge birth junkie,and i LOVE helping moms get the birth they want.It was so awesomeshe was my first completely unmedicated birth. I told her today,she is my hero. I am going to go see her tomorrow. and i cant wait!!1