Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who doesn't take thier LO's to well visits?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482966)

lovemy3boys 07-10-2008 06:10 PM

Who doesn't take thier LO's to well visits??

I'm just curious to know.. i decided to at least delay vax my kids AFTER all my boys had thier last shots (twins had 6mo shots and ds1 had gotten just one.. can't remmeber which atm). well, coming up this month my twins are supposed to have thier 1y check but i have to cancel it because i have no way to get there.. and honestly, it is sorta a relieve. thier ped is GREAT but i fear she may be way too pro-vax for me. she always looks at thier records and comments on how 'perfect' they are because they've had every freakin vax they could possibly have had up til that point... so not going to thier 1year well baby visit is not too worrisome for me, since that just means i don't have to deal with explaining myself (not that i should have to).

So basicaly, i'm just interested to know who doesn't take thier kids to well visits simply to avoid shots & the unneccesary cost of a pointless visit? Who doesn't take them to well visits, but does take them for shots?? i know they don't have to have an appointment at some docs for just shots because that's what my oldest's ped. used to do to avoid having to charge us for a pointless office visit.

if you vote in the poll, please vote for your visits of choice (choices 1-6) and also choose your vaxing choice (7-10) :goodvibes i meant to put selective/delay together but messed it up and forgot to put non-vax so if you don't vax, just choose other. SS for forgeting it :hide:

marymom 07-10-2008 06:15 PM

Re: Who doesn't take thier LO's to well visits??

i only take them when they are sick (more than a cold)

shutterbugmom 07-10-2008 06:17 PM

I take them pretty normally when they are teeny; we delay/selectively vax here.

I Smile Because Of Them 07-10-2008 06:19 PM

We also delay/selective vax and I take them to most of their appointments. I like to know how they're doing for the most part.

mamacake 07-10-2008 06:20 PM

I know how you feel- I almost didn't take dd to her recent 9 month visit. She didnt need any vaxes (we do vax on schedule) and she's been very healthy, is developing normally. But i decided to take her in anyway partly because i was too lazy to cancel the visit...
When we were there the pedi thought she heard DD's hips "click" when she was testing them. She had us go get a xray to rule out hip dysplasia. I was anxiously researching what it would mean if she did have this hip dysplasia- and i found out that if this is not caught before the child is 12 months, the treatment is much more involved, the child usually needs surgery, etc. So I was very relieved that we had gone in...
Thank God her xrays were fine but it was a reminder to me that I'm not going to skip pedi visits in the future... sometimes it really does make a difference if something is caught earlier rather than later. And it was a lesson to me that perfectly healthy seeming kids do have the risk of having hidden issues...So that is just my two cents...but i understand why it seems like a waste of money and time sometimes. I think it also helps to have a really good, thourough pediatrician who is focused on preventative care...

evandmp 07-10-2008 07:08 PM

I voted other and other. We don't vax dd (ds wont receive boosters) and my kids go to a naturopath. She's a family practitioner who does naturopathy on the side and shes just wonderful.

grisaleen 07-10-2008 07:31 PM

Thus far we haven't vaccinated, although we might do some selectively in the future. My daughter turned two last month and she's been to two doctor visits. So I guess we didn't do any well-baby checks, just annual checkups.

MW69842 07-10-2008 07:46 PM

My daughter is fully vaccinated, on schedule... and she goes to her well-baby visits on schedule as well (2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months and soon-to-be 12 months in about a week and a half). She's gone a couple of other times for various illnesses (croup, pink eye, ear infection x 3, influenza, etc.).

We like her pediatrician very much and honestly, I spent a whole lot of money on prenatal care while I was pregnant with her, so it only makes sense to continue that same type of care after she's born.

I want to be able to have a stable enough relationship with a medical professional, in case something should happen to her, so that care is given in an appropriate manner and quickly.

Oh, and well-baby visits + vaccinations cost me nothing out of pocket... they're covered 100% by my medical insurance (they're big on preventative care and this falls under that scope), so I'm not out any money at all.

chataine 07-10-2008 09:02 PM

my dd went to most of her baby ones.. 2 mos 6 mos 9 mos and then 15 again w/ a new dr. at 28mos .. we had to switch dr.'s and the one we have now i don't like...i need to find a new one.. we don't vax though..so in a lot of ways i see no point in going.. i can tell you my kids are healthy and thriving..and i really don't want to argue w/ a dr about vax's...which is what seams to happen..i tell them i am absolutely against it..but they just keep pushing!!

my ds has gone once when he was 6 weeks old..and just turned 6 mos the other day

we have never had an ear infection, or anything else that needed treatment w/ antibiotics or anything though..so we haven't really "had" to go...

BeckyP 07-10-2008 09:08 PM

We stopped Vaxing but will still go to the pedi for well child checks