Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Too late to get a Doula?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48363)

GoddessWifeMom 10-05-2006 10:19 AM

Too late to get a Doula??

Okay I have just a little over 4 weeks left until DS comes.

I just realized, from answering another thread about what to do with DC#1 while #2 is being born that we really have NO ONE here to help us.

So my prospect is that I could very well be going it alone.

Not really that pleasant of an idea for me.

So I am wondering if it would be too late to get a Doula??

WDYT??

Probably since there is so little time left. :(

GoddessWifeMom 10-05-2006 10:24 AM

Re: Too late to get a Doula??

Oh ya this is really initiated by the fact that my friend who was our emergency person recently moved 2.5-3 hours away and my DH's parents are 2.5 hours away and mine are 9 hours away.

We live near none of our families. :(

nothing_butt_cloth 10-05-2006 10:24 AM

If you want a doula, you can get one. I was hired once 1 week before the birth.
If you need to know where to look. you can look at www.dona.org or you can google doula and your city and some might pop up. If there is a doula gency, they may know of some trainees that need to get births under their belts, and they dont charge( typically)
I would start searching today. A doula is a great asset if i do say so myselfLOL

Prettylocks 10-05-2006 10:26 AM

It is probably not to late! Do try!

GoddessWifeMom 10-05-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristina (Post 343375)
It is probably not to late! Do try!

Ya I think I am going to. I just realized that my DH is my support person but if we don't have anyone to watch DD then he will have to be with her and probably out in the waiting room, I don't think they allow children to be in the room with parents when giving birth even siblings. They do after the birth though.

So I really don't want to be going it alone. It might be nice to have someone with me.

lutgen 10-05-2006 10:30 AM

My doula once told me that she was contacted by a father whose daughter was in labor and having a really hard time a few states away and he hired her and had her run over to the hospital and help out. It turned out to be a wonderful thing.

I know I posted my doula experience here before - so I will just say - 2 births without a doula and 1 with. I would go with one hands down!

GoddessWifeMom 10-05-2006 10:37 AM

My DD was only 2 hours from start to finish until she was here so with her it was so quick I don't think I would have noticed.

But my mother was here and my husband was absoloutley amazing. :)

It's just that this time he will most likely have to be with our daughter, if he didn't I wouldn't be worried at all.

OneFabMama 10-05-2006 11:46 AM

Evenif you do hire a doula is is possible to have his parents or your parents just drive down like the week before or something and if you happen to go into labor then someone will be there

GL mama letus know what happens

GoddessWifeMom 10-05-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFabMama (Post 343595)
Evenif you do hire a doula is is possible to have his parents or your parents just drive down like the week before or something and if you happen to go into labor then someone will be there

GL mama letus know what happens

The problem is that my MIL has to work, she works for the city in Public Relations & Parks & Rec she is the head, so she can't make it.

My FIL suffers from depression VERY badly and has issues with falling asleep mid sentence and other issues so we are not comfortable with him watching DD at all unfortunately. He doesn't make the best decisions and his judgement has really been impared.

I would LOVE for my Mom to come down again like she did with DD but she has to work too, she wasn't working before, and there was a little bit of a "problem" with DH and my mom getting along after DD was born so I don't think she wants to do it again now that everything is better.

Namaste 10-05-2006 12:08 PM

I would take somebody at this stage. You mean a post-partum doula?

Good luck!