Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   decision to non-vax a personal choice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484682)

lydiamom 07-12-2008 11:21 AM

decision to non-vax a personal choice

Ok, let me first say that I do not want any flaming on this question! I'm not looking for a debate--just info :)

I am in a debate with a woman from my nursing group because I have chosen to delay/non-vax (not sure which yet--need to learn more first). I and others have said that this is a personal choice everyone has to make. So this woman came back and said that it is not a personal choice, because it has very public consequences. She says that vaccines are there to prevent diseases that are too infectious for treatment (her words) and so if people choose not too they are putting everyone at risk. She also says that if there were a true measles outbreak in the U.S. that we would not be so worried about any autism link :headscratch: .

First of all I'm pretty sure there used to be measles outbreaks when our parents were young and they weren't that big a deal. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that though I don't really know how to respond--I disagree with her but I don't know how to word it. So I'm calling on those who non-vax and have researched more than me to help me with my response.

TIA :goodvibes:

kasatk 07-12-2008 11:28 AM

Re: decision to non-vax a personal choice

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydiamom (Post 4135525)
Ok, So this woman came back and said that it is not a personal choice, because it has very public consequences. She says that vaccines are there to prevent diseases that are too infectious for treatment (her words) and so if people choose not too they are putting everyone at risk.

well....my opinion is...if you/your child is vaxed then you shouldn't be worried about an outbreak in the first place :headscratch:

lydiamom 07-12-2008 12:00 PM

Just to be clear I am not demonizing vaccines. My ODD is fully vaxed, I've just researched it more when pregnant with DD2 and decided to delay them this time around, because I haven't made my decision whether to do it or not. And I figure if I don't do it now I can always do it later, but I can never take it back once its done.

ceilismom 07-12-2008 12:06 PM

You know, I wouldn't even argue the pros and cons of public health with her. I'd just refer her to the First Amendment and leave it at that.

myfrugalfunlife 07-12-2008 12:47 PM

I'm reading Dr. Sears Vaccine book right now and its really amazing-I'd suggest to her to get a copy and it will really educate her :goodvibes: sara

kiwi87 07-12-2008 01:54 PM

I have no problem with someone choosing not to vaccinate. It is a person's right not to vaccinate. If you and your children are vaxed (and this is purely hypothetical), then why would you be worried, since you believe that the vaccines will protect you? :headscratch:

rbwinckler 07-12-2008 03:12 PM

as someone who does vax and wishes I had delayed instead :( I would simply say that it is still a personal choice and if she has vax her children then she needn't worry because technically only the parents of non-vax kids would be the ones for needed worry if there ever was an "outbreak". Isn't that why she vax to begin with??? So your non vax kid could play with her vax child and be fine:)

*Aimee* 07-12-2008 04:56 PM

Both my parents, grandparents and inlaws had the measles and the mumps and the (gasp) chicken pox.

I dont vaccinate and have made it a policy to not discuss it with people who aren't educated on the subject. This is SUCH a volatile topic and really you're probably not going to change anyone's mind. Some people just like to fight and this is a good subject to fight about.

Oh and heard immunity is a theory, its not proven and a lot of people don't believe in it.