Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tell me about your kids having tonsil/adenoid surgery. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48525)

YumaDoula 10-05-2006 05:10 PM

Tell me about your kids having tonsil/adenoid surgery.

I took one of my twin boys to an ENT because (1) he can't breathe through his nose (2) he snores like crazy. He doesn't get sick very often or anything like that though. Anyway the doc examined him and told me he only has 10% airway around his ginormous tonsils, and he suggested removing them and his adenoids.

I am taking him for a second opinion on Monday.

Btw, he (and his brother) are 3.5yo. They are id twins but his brother can breathe through his nose fine.

Just wondering if other mamas whose kids' have had that surgery, can you tell me about it? Did it help?

kpapple 10-05-2006 09:10 PM

Re: Tell me about your kids having tonsil/adenoid surgery.

Hi
My son was two years old when he had tonsils and adnoids removed. The best thing we could have ever done. I have no regrets!
He was snoring a lot and waking himself up at night from it. Also- he had very large tonsils ( he got that from me- however I did not get mine taken out till I was 22 and it was horrible!!!) Since I knew what I had gone through being older and having mine removed we oppted to have his done at this age. I was not sick a whole lot and niether was he but when we would get sick it would be bad. And the DR said that is was from the large tonsils harbouring all that bacteria in our mouth. Anyway- he was two and it was outpatient. The hardest part was when he woke up from his surgery in recovery ( we were there) he was scared and in alot of pain but they quickly have him some pain meds and after that it was fine. As a matter of fact that night he ate a soft granola bar. Now me on the other hand when I had it done could not eat ANYTHING for almost three weeks. It was soo bad so if he needs to have it done I would do it now. SInce then my son has only been on antibiotics one time and now he is 6. Hope that this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kim

love2bmom2chris 10-06-2006 01:20 AM

My son had his removed at 2 for different reasons. Recovery was a breeze for him. The next day he was eating mac n cheese and hot dogs!

sherbear178 10-06-2006 01:53 AM

My kids havent had to have their tonsils or adenoids out yet but I had to have them done at 20 and it was miserable. It should have been done when I was a small child like your ds, my toncils were HUGE. One ped. said I should have the surgery and another said I would grow into my tonsils so my mom didnt do it. I had all of those problems you mentioned when I was growing up and it was no fun. I wish I had had it done sooner. The recovery time for kids is much quicker, at 20 I was miserable for over 2 weeks. Ever since I have had it done I have been sick much less, I dont snore, my breathing has improved. If my doc told me that my dc needed it done and I knew the issues were there I would definitly do it. I hope that helps.

MamaMegan 10-06-2006 10:58 AM

My son had his taken out at 18 months-- he was snoring and having slep issues that were diagnosed as sleep apnea.

OneFabMama 10-06-2006 11:07 AM

I had mine taken out when I was 3 or 4 - maybe 4 since I remember it LOL who knows, but I do know it was a breeze and I got to eat Jello LOL
I dont think its a big deal and my DD needed them out then I would do it no problem. :thumbsup: