Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   3rd trimester? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4874)

myajdw 05-10-2006 08:51 AM

3rd trimester?

okay i called and asked my dr's receptionist when we go over the birthing plan and she asked someone else in the office and they said in the 3rd trimester. i called back asked her when that technically starts ( i know 7th month, but week wise when does that start?), but someone else told her that they go over it at 36 weeks! well i've HAD both my other ds's at 36 weeks! so i want to go over it either at next weeks apt or the one after that, i'm sure they'll be okay with that. but my question is when exactly does the 3rd trimester start week wise so that we are going over it in the third trimester?

Kimmomy2dom 05-10-2006 09:14 AM

Re: 3rd trimester?

I think its 27 weeks or thereabouts, LOL. I didn't even discuss it with my Dr. I asked him what he wanted me to do (since I wrote out a birthplan) and he said just take it to the hospital when I go in. That's just because the possibility of him being on-call when I went into labor was pretty slim. It's the nurses who help you follow your birth plan in our hospital, all the Dr. needed to know was about the actual DELIVERY part (episiotomy, forceps, etc.).
How many weeks are you? Next time you go in I would just say "I want to discuss my birthplan now, since I tend to have my children a little early". They'll generally listen, if not just make sure you write it out and throw it at everyone you can find when you're in labor, LOL

Carrie 05-10-2006 09:30 AM

I'd recommend going over it no later than 34 weeks or so, just because your dr. has a lot on his/her mind and might forget the specifics if it is very much in advance of the birth. That's probably why they usually do it at 36 weeks. I had some requests that were against "hospital policy" but because I had discussed it in advance with my dr. she was able to be my advocate and override them, so my birth went much better.

Carrie 05-10-2006 09:30 AM

Whoops I said no later but I meant no earlier than 34 weeks. Sorry if that was confusing lol!

myajdw 05-10-2006 05:02 PM

i'm 25 1 /2 weeks right now, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't putting anything in that's just not going to be possible you know? but obviously a birth plan in the event of preterm labor won't matter either lol. but i definately do NOT want to wait until 36 weeks. i was thinking that not at this coming apt but the following i would like to go over it, then again closer to the due date to refresh everyone.

Emma 05-10-2006 05:32 PM

I've heard anywhere from wk 27 - 29 depending on the source.

For your birth plan, I discussed mine w/my OB at 31 wks (last wk), and she didn't seem to mind. She put a copy of it in my medical file. I know I had mentioned having a birth plan to her at 23 wks and she told me to bring it in whenever I had a draft of it.

I haven't had a baby yet, so take this w/a grain of salt, but I would probably just bring in the birth plan at your next doctor's visit and discuss it then (if that's possible).

Kimmomy2dom 05-10-2006 09:58 PM

Yup, what she said, LOL. I would definitely have it printed out - that way you have a hardcopy in the hospital, too. You really can't expect them to remember everything you tell them... and every mama is different in her wants. Talk to them about it - if they don't want to talk about it then, ask if you can just go over some of the big stuff so you know how the hospital works with everything, KWIM? Mine didn't even want me to talk to him about it, and I understood why...