Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Upper GI Test question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48813)

widdletigger 10-06-2006 01:11 PM

Upper GI Test question

They are sending my son in to have an Upper GI done . . . They told me he will have to drink something. Now I am wondering, will whatever they make him drink stain my diapers when it comes out the other end?

Anyone have an exprence with this?

Also, if you can tell me some about the test (if your child has had it) Id appreciate it. his test is tuesday at John Hopkins Hospital. im kind of nervous. But we are kind of getting a bit more used to all these tests.

Luvmybabies 10-06-2006 01:32 PM

Re: Upper GI Test question

My son had an upper GI done last year, the barium that they had him drink was white - came out looking the same. He was an inpatient at the hospital at the time, he pooped all over some of our clothes and it didn't stain those - I don't think it would stain the cloth dipes.

HUGS to you, hope that everything goes well for your DS.

StaceyM 10-06-2006 01:37 PM

Well, I don't know what it will do to your dipes since DS wasn't in cloth at the time.

As far as the procedure...we went in and they had a bottle waiting with the Barium. They had me lay him on a table like with x-rays only the screen was to his side. I gave him a few sips at a time and they watched it. There was a screen in the room too so I got to see it. It was really easy and only took about 15 minutes.

Hope it all goes well.

masonite 10-06-2006 01:42 PM

When Cam had his upper and lower GI's, we didn't use cloth. BUT, I'd suggest taking either cloth that you aren't fond of, or using sposies.

It got EVERYWHERE and caused some seriously explosive poops. I'd probably take a change of clothes as well. Of course, this could just have been for my son, but you never know!

Good luck!

Luvmybabies 10-06-2006 01:46 PM

I totally agree with the explosive poops... this is so nasty but DH said that Corey looked like a soft serve ice cream machine :yuck: he just went and went. I swear the kid pooped more than his body weight after that barium.

Leininger27 10-06-2006 01:47 PM

My ds just had a upper GI done when he was 3 weeks old to diagnose his GERD. We used cloth and didn't have any problems with staining. He wore a FB there with no problems. I definitely would take an extra set of clothes for him! My ds had some explosive poop afterwards, but never any staining.

The test is really simple and doesn't take long at all. My ds had his done at the peds office with no problems at all!

Good luck mama! :hugs:

widdletigger 10-06-2006 02:17 PM

We are doing this outpaitant, We live an hour from the hospital, Do you think we will see this explosive poop before we get home? Ugg. Im taking him on a 3 hour car ride on Thursday so I HOPE its all done by then.

Leininger27 10-06-2006 02:28 PM

It should be gone my Thursday! :) I would definitely recommend cloth over sposies. The nice things of sposies it you can throw it away, but since we have blowouts with reg. poo I wouldn't do it with this because it was pretty explosive! I would say depending on how long they are keeping him afterwards that you may plan on stopping to change a diaper on your trip home!

aschrimp 10-06-2006 05:44 PM

When my dh had one of his upper gis done, he started pooping within an hour or two. With the other one, he ended up a bit constipated, and it took a couple days and a laxitive.

togg_mama 10-06-2006 05:57 PM

I can't answer the staining question, but I will say the following:

1. make sure YOU are the one feeding him the barium. my dd was 2 months old didn't even notice. she just started chugging away. she wouldn't have taken kindly to someone else force-feeding her. ;)

2. if you're not preggers, get the lead apron and YOU be the one to hold your child down on the table. again, my dd thought it was somewhat of a game even when we put her in odd positions because mommy was the one holding her and talking to her.

3. be very upbeat. your ds will take your cue. if you are uptight, he'll flip. if you treat it like a game, he'll be fine. nothing will hurt, the worst part is the barium isn't bm/formula and it's kind of chilly in there.

4. put him in somehting that is two piece and that doesn't have any metal on it and that. they didn't make me strip my dd.

hth.