Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Naps! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49040)

Severine 10-07-2006 09:54 AM

Naps!

Okay.... why is it I can get DD to go down for a nap no problem after her lunch as long as she's wide awake... but if she falls asleep in the chair, it's impossible to get her to nap because she wakes right up as soon as I transfer her to the crib and fights it tooth and nail? :headscratch:

She's 15.5 months old and we have a loose schedule with her. Lunch is usually at 11AM followed by a nap. Today, as happens every once in a while, she fell asleep while eating. I went to move her to the crib and as soon as I picked her up, she started screaming and fighting. Did not want back in the chair to eat, did not want her diaper changed, did not want a nap, and did not want me to hold her. I finally did get her calmed down, but then she wanted to play. Seeing as I know she needs a nap though, I put her in her crib... and now she's going through phases of being quiet (but apparently not sleeping because...) and screaming out in agony. I hate this! :banghead: I try to do the right thing for her, but she doesn't want me, doesn't want anything... Right now she's quiet, but I have no idea if she went to sleep. And I hate CIO but honestly, it doesn't help if I'm with her either. She pushes me away. :cry:

Why do they do this?

Severine 10-07-2006 10:31 AM

Re: Naps!

I lost the battle...she's up again. Guess it's going to be a LOOOOOOOONG day without that nap. SIGH.

OneFabMama 10-07-2006 10:32 AM

Next time she falls asleep in the chair - leave her there :mrgreen:

ETA: A few weeks ago when DD was sick she wouldnt nap in her crib so we got in the habit of her napping with ME or me lying down with her until she fell asleep - is that an option for you. Just lay down with her?

Severine 10-07-2006 10:39 AM

Jena - When I got her to calm down initially it was because I had her laying on my chest. But once she calmed down, all she wanted to do was play. This is what she does when I try to get her to lay down in our bed with me, too. :( I was trying to head her off at the pass and keep her from getting too keyed up, but I guess she had other plans in mind. (Plus I really wanted to eat my own lunch and take a nap... ;) )

Timetodance 10-07-2006 11:08 AM

That is why I started to give DD a snack at 10 and then nap at 11, and lunch afterwards. She needs to be down at 11:00 or it is not good times at our house.

Severine 10-07-2006 04:33 PM

I'm all for switching her schedule around... but for the next 3 months, she's still in daycare during weekdays and this is their schedule. :( Can't wait til we're done with that...

The good news is that she ended up going to bed early. She fell asleep eating dinner (early, no less) and was down for the night at 6PM. Slept through the diaper change and being put to bed, and she's still blissfully asleep. :D

annes_cottage 10-07-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFabMama (Post 348425)
Next time she falls asleep in the chair - leave her there :mrgreen:

ETA: A few weeks ago when DD was sick she wouldnt nap in her crib so we got in the habit of her napping with ME or me lying down with her until she fell asleep - is that an option for you. Just lay down with her?

Yeah that !! I would leave her in the high chair.....i know you couldnt nap like that though....hmmm...maybe lay her down before lunch and eat later like the other pp said. forget the weekly schedule...and a thought, but what do they do at day care if she does this?? Do they get them back up or let them cry or scream for the "nap time"?

small_wonders_wipes 10-11-2006 10:45 AM

It usually works for my daughter to feed her lunch after her nap. She seems more willing to fall asleep- she still whines and cries for about a minute, but then she falls asleep.

Good luck!