Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What do you wish you had? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49328)

garjul 10-08-2006 02:43 PM

What do you wish you had?

Hi. I'm due early November, and I'm trying to get ready for our son :lostit: I was just wondering if there was anything you wish you had before your baby was born to help you through breastfeeding? Pads, pump, certain bras, lotion, etc? And what you found to be totally unnecessary. I'm a first time mom, and I'm going to try my hardest to succcessfully breastfeed while being a fulltime student. I'd really appreciate any help!!! Thanks.

momto4monkeys 10-08-2006 03:25 PM

Re: What do you wish you had?

A really good electric pump and for my last baby the supplemental nursing system right from the start because he was tongue tied and had a lot of sucking issues and this thing was wonderful

sheandaru 10-08-2006 04:24 PM

I still wish I had more nursing tops.

wbkt8 10-08-2006 04:33 PM

a better nursing pillow - i had a boppy and it never fit me and dd well. i hear great things about my brest friend pillows though.

shell015 10-08-2006 05:12 PM

I wish that my milk would have come in. I was completely prepared other than that.

cloth-centric 10-08-2006 05:34 PM

What do I really wish I had? Um..no nerve ending in my nipples! I wish I never felt the cracks!
I had ended up with some triple compound cream from the m/w! Healed great!

The only thing I can pass on is patience! It can take longer for some babies to learn...remember..it's a LEARNING process...not a one time thing!

somersocial 10-08-2006 06:24 PM

I would say invest in a high grade breast pump with an add on car adaptor power source (plug for a cigarette lighter - pumping between classes, etc.). I was a full time Master's student with dd #1 - just wanted to tell you it can be done! Good luck mama! :goodvibes:

dirtdartwife 10-08-2006 06:46 PM

an electric double pump (which I ended up getting from Medela) and more nursing tops and bras. I hated the three hooked bras.

and more patience. the baby needs to eat and nursing forces you to sit down.

good luck!

garjul 10-08-2006 06:48 PM

Thanks so much for the great advice so far, I'm loving reading these posts..keep it coming :lostit:

mama23boys 10-08-2006 06:48 PM

Good nursing pillow...boppy never worked well for us.

good bras/NON underwire-i had one of each and i hated my underwire bra and wished i had more non underwire in the begining.

Lanoish-make sure you have a tube or 2. i kept one in the diaper bag and in the bathroom/bedroom

Patience-what may work today may not work tomorrow-its a learning process for you AND baby.

:D