Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   illness, immunity, blah blah blah???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49761)

ecoria 10-09-2006 07:30 PM

illness, immunity, blah blah blah????

ok, ds is almost 6 months and EBF. I'm sick, for the first time in like forever. Not bad, but enough to be annoying. I know i pass on my immunities to him, so is it safe to assume he wont get sick from me, or should i be limiting contact when possible?

Hayley 10-09-2006 07:32 PM

Re: illness, immunity, blah blah blah????

I would definatley keep breast feeding him and not worry if he is going to get it he will get it! We got sick when Noah was 5 weeks old and both got sick bad but since he was born he has only had 2 colds one at 5 weeks (bad) and one 2 weeks ago that lasted 3 days.

ecoria 10-09-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahs_mommie (Post 353905)
I would definatley keep breast feeding him and not worry if he is going to get it he will get it!

oh no, im not thinking of no longer BFing him and going to formula, ICKY :yuck: lmao, just passing him off to daddy whenever possible, no kissing on the lips, extra hand washing and such.

MamaMel 10-09-2006 07:46 PM

if its just a cold dont worry about it chances are if your DC does get it it will just be mild

Hayley 10-09-2006 07:48 PM

Oh good cause some one told me "stock up on pumped milk for when you get sick" I was like what? So asked and was told by several ppl to make sure and not breast feed him. Well I thought what the heck is the reason for not? I contacted LLL and was then informed to yes keep feeding the booby! Anyway I guess that is entirely up to you. If you need a break this would DEFINATLEY be a great way to get hubby to help. LOL I know when I am sick I have to baracade myself in my room in order to keep DH from saying Noah wants you. he is 15 months he doesn't care if I am gone. LOL
Either way like I said if DC is gonna get it, he will get it.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

tessa1002 10-09-2006 07:54 PM

You pass on your immunities to him, but that just means he has your immune system. If your immune system didn't stop you from getting sick, that means that he will too. So if you want to make an attempt at sparing him you could do extra hand washing, etc, but he might just get it anyways. Usually illness is most contagious in its beginning stages, so you probably already passed it to him if you weren't taking precautions. When I get a little cold I'm usually too selfish to give up my baby and let dad take control. :giggle: DS usually seems to take the cold better than me anyways!

tessa1002 10-09-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahs_mommie (Post 353965)
Oh good cause some one told me "stock up on pumped milk for when you get sick"

Maybe people say that because they're thinking sick like to the point of being immobile and physically unable to breastfeed because you're puking your guts out?

I can't imagine anyone saying you can't breastfeed because you have a cold or something. :headscratch:

ecoria 10-09-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessa1002 (Post 353999)
You pass on your immunities to him, but that just means he has your immune system. If your immune system didn't stop you from getting sick, that means that he will too.

i was thinking that if i had it, my body has created the "stuff" to help fight it off, so maybe that would be passed onto him, hence me thinking he might not get sick.

Hayley 10-09-2006 08:18 PM

Let's just say the few ladies who told me this had a few marbles rolling around.:spit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessa1002 (Post 354004)
Maybe people say that because they're thinking sick like to the point of being immobile and physically unable to breastfeed because you're puking your guts out?

I can't imagine anyone saying you can't breastfeed because you have a cold or something. :headscratch:

naturegirl7 10-10-2006 01:43 PM

You have already exposed your DS to whatever you have. Most of the time you are most contagious before you show any symptoms or for the first few days of showing symptoms. Either way - your DS is already exposed. If he is going to get sick, nothing will change that now.
BUT continuing to nurse him, you will pass on antibiodies to him (as you begin to make them) and that will lessen the degree to which he gets sick.

My son only ever got sick when I was sick - I wasn't fighting it off well enough for myself, so we both came down with it. But his was so mild in comparison and he bounced back way faster than I did.

BFing while sick may not be fun - but it is totally do-able. In fact, I continued to BF my son while suffering a case of food poisoning!

hope you feel better soon!