Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is a birth plan? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5019)

Shannon 05-10-2006 06:49 PM

What is a birth plan?

:headscratch: And did most of you do one? I've never done one with my kids...obviously since I dont' really understand what it is. I just go to the hospital and have my babies:giggle:

Shaineinok 05-10-2006 06:54 PM

Re: What is a birth plan?

You can google it. I did one with both the girls. The doc's kinda frown though when they see them. Its basically a prewritten statement of your expectations reguarding labor and delivery. I can email you a copy of what mine looked like if you like? Just let me know.

usandthegirls 05-10-2006 06:58 PM

Yep, what she said. Although, my hospital actually has a printable "fill in the blanks" type birth plan on their website that they ask you to just print off and bring in with you.

I think a lot of hospitals are realizing that if they don't starting relaxing their policies, moms are gonna start flipping out on them. LOL.

I didn't do one with either of my girls and am not all that much into it now, but i will probably print off the paper from the hospital website and take it with me. It asks about things like circ'ing your son (if you're having one) and if I happened, by some fluke, to be put under for an emergency section, I'd want them to know not to give baby a bottle, etc.

Tummy 05-10-2006 07:04 PM

I love birth plans. When you walk into your sOBs office with a birth plan they suddenly realize they are not dealing with a dumb woman that is going to jump through all the loops that the sOB says to jump through.

Having a birth plan means you have done research, that you have educated yourself in what you feel is right or not right for you and your unborn during labor/birth/after.

A birth plan is exactly what pp said.. your expectations and limitations on what you wish your labor/birth/after to be.

For instance,
*When you give birth, many sOBs may not tell you they are about to mutalate your vagina. If you have in your birth plan that you would prefer oil massages, stretching, NO cutting of your vagina... ect. Hopefully the caregiver will think twice about cutting your vagina.
*The hospital staff do not ask.. "ok mama, you just gave birth 3 minutes ago, is it alright if we put a chemical into your baby now?"

There are a lot of things that care providers do during labor/birth and after that I do not agree with.. all choices are a personal one! Who better to make personal choices about YOUR BODY then YOU?!?!?!?

HTH!

Blessed Be!

Kimmomy2dom 05-10-2006 09:55 PM

I looked at mine as how I wanted my labor to go, but I tried to keep an open mind that it may not go that way. They have some forms online (if you search hard enough, I've lost mine awhile ago) that have some suggestions on what you may feel strongly about. Do you want an epi? Like the pp said: circing, episiotomies, IVs, whether you plan to bf or not is a big one, etc. Think about all the things you REALLY want to have happen or not happen and write them down for them. That way they won't have an unhappy mama (if they can help it) and you may feel more fulfilled with your birth experience.

jaseyandmallorysmommy 05-10-2006 11:27 PM

it's something for the doctor to wipe her brow with as she ignores your every request. LOL :giggle:

navars2 05-11-2006 09:56 AM

It will also depend on your doc/midwife how they treat the birthplan. My OB/Midwives for my DS's birth gave me a birthplan to fill out and we discussed it beforehand. It gives you an opportunity to make some decisions before the heat of the moment. Obviously, things may not go how you want them to but, while in labor, you may find it hard to decide what you want and are more likely to just go along with whatever the doctor says. There are instances where you just need to trust your doc to do what is best but, for me, it was much nicer to have my doc/midwives aware of my preferences and try, while keeping me and the baby safe, to go with them. Also, make sure your partner is aware of your preferences as they will be in a better position to intervene when things come up.

Carrie 05-11-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navars2
It will also depend on your doc/midwife how they treat the birthplan. My OB/Midwives for my DS's birth gave me a birthplan to fill out and we discussed it beforehand. It gives you an opportunity to make some decisions before the heat of the moment. Obviously, things may not go how you want them to but, while in labor, you may find it hard to decide what you want and are more likely to just go along with whatever the doctor says. There are instances where you just need to trust your doc to do what is best but, for me, it was much nicer to have my doc/midwives aware of my preferences and try, while keeping me and the baby safe, to go with them. Also, make sure your partner is aware of your preferences as they will be in a better position to intervene when things come up.

Very well said. My doctor and I had a very good partnership and the birth plan was instrumental in that. She was very receptive to it and did her best to follow my wishes. At no point did she propose to "mutilate" me, either.

bethanyjoy 05-13-2006 06:23 AM

I think a lot of healthcare providers are open to a birth plan if you approach it in a positive way. As in, "I've done lot of reading and thinking; here's a list of some things that are very important to me about my birth experience." and less "This is what you better not do to me!"

Nobody likes to be criticized, and I think some Dr's take a birth plan as criticism...I've heard of people calling them "Birth Wishes" or "My goals for this birth" or something similar...I think a lot of it is in your presentation and attitude. Definitely stand strong for what you want, but the nicer you can be about it, and the more informed you are about the choices you make, the more likely it is you can get some cooperation.

GL!

Kimmomy2dom 05-13-2006 03:03 PM

Oh, I did want to add: if you are going to go for something major (no epi or something similar that they need to know about right away) say it RIGHT when you get to the hospital. When I went in I said "I don't want any pain medication, can you put me with a nurse who is open to trying alternative methods before telling me to get pain meds?" They looked at me funny, but they said "sure". The nurses were just what I asked for - so if they need to know something like that right away, make sure you remind them right when you get in there.