Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Easy casserole recipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50410)

benjason 10-11-2006 02:30 PM

Easy casserole recipes

I'm going to provide a meal for a friend with a new baby. What are some good, easy casserole/meal recipes that easy to make, aren't too expensive and kids will like? Thanks!

sheandaru 10-11-2006 02:39 PM

Re: Easy casserole recipes

My favorite is simply called "Pasta Bake"

1 box rigatoni
1 carton ricotta cheese
1 bag shredded mozzarella
1 jar pasta sauce
1 egg

Cook & drain rigatoni. Mix cooked pasta with the sauce. In a separate bowl, mix the egg with the ricotta. Spread half the pasta & sauce in a 13x9 casserole dish. Spread ricotta mixture on top, then spread the rest of the pasta. Top with mozzarella. Cover & bake 15 min. at 350. Uncover & cook an additional 10 minute or until bubbly.

My kids LOVE this recipe. (as does dh!)

mandikaake 10-11-2006 04:45 PM

So this may sound extensive but my kids LOVE it. It really is easy.

Take 1lb ground beef and brown with some beef boullion and pepper and a little water after the grease is drained.

While meat is cooking get some instant potatoes and add water, sour cream , garlic powder (just a tad...maybe 1-2 teaspoons?)and some cheddar cheese till moist (not too moist). We also like lots of pepper.

In the bottom of a casserole dish pour one can of drained corn, pour meat on top. Next spread with cheesey potatoes.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx. 30 minutes till top starts browning or looks heated through.

We like to try to eat healthy, but this is def. not one of those "organic" meals. This is just something I can put together fast if in a rush and everyone loves it.

Mandi

OneFabMama 10-11-2006 04:51 PM

Ooooh I just made a really yummy Enchilida Pie
Basically like enchilidas but instead of rolling them all up individually layer it like a lasagna - its so much easier and tastes the same!
I use shredded chicken, sweet roasted corn, chili powder, a little sour cream, chopped up brown onion, and chopped garlic.
Corn tortillas and red sauce and voila and you can refigerate it or freeze it and it heats up pretty quick.

karlatta 10-11-2006 05:11 PM

We make casseroles all the time.

The easiest I make is probably Poppy Seed Chicken. I usually cook the chicken by boiling - it's easy to do the night before.

3-4 chicken breasts, chopped and cooked
8 oz. sour cream
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tube Ritz crackers, crushed
melted butter (about 2-3 Tbsp.)

Mix chicken, sour cream, poppy seeds and soup. Combine butter and Ritz and sprinkle on top. Cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes until warm.

Another one that my kids love and that always gets good reviews is Cottage Pie. It's a little more time consuming, but it's really, really good. I usually make it with peas and carrots, but any vegetables will do - my mom makes it a lot with corn and green beans.

1 lb. ground beef
about 2 cups brown gravy (I make it myself, but you can also buy it in a can)
garlic (I use garlic powder)
1 small can tomato paste
instant mashed potatoes
2 cans of vegetables (any two will do)

Brown beef, drain and add gravy, garlic, and tomato paste. Layer in bottom of casserole dish. Drain cans of vegetables and layer on top of beef. Top with prepared mashed potatoes. Heat at 350 for 20-30 minutes until warm.

fouradss 10-13-2006 09:33 PM

One of our favs is a chicken casserole

3 chix breast cubed and cooked (you can boil too)
1 bag frozen veggies (I usually use brocc, calif, carrot)
1-2 cans Cream of chicken soup (depends on size of dish)

Mix the above in your dish, and add milk to allow you to coat everthing with the soup.

Butter some bread, sprinkle with garlic powder. Then you tear into smaller pieces and place on the top. It usually takes about 5-6 pieces of bread. You just kinda tuck the pieces together to form a crust. Then you just bake it on 350. It usually takes about an hour to heat all the way through. Super easy to throw together!

fouradss 10-13-2006 09:38 PM

Another of our quick favs.

Not a casserole, but a soup.

It is called Cabinet Soup.

You find anything that you have in your cabinets. Stray can of corn, green beans, tomato paste, kidney beans, (any veggie), Tomato juice

Meat of your choice. Usually we use burger or venison. (fully cooked)

Throw in some seasonings that sound yummy. Put it all in a pan and let simmer. Add that 1/2 bag of noodles that's left from the last thing you made. Once the noodles are cooked your ready to eat.

It turns out different everytime, and I haven't had one come out bad yet. Actually, that is what I had for dinner tonight. It's really cold here, and hot soup sounded REALLY good.

soygurl 10-18-2006 07:29 PM

:threadhijacked:
Quote:

Originally Posted by fouradss (Post 366286)
Another of our quick favs.

Not a casserole, but a soup.

It is called Cabinet Soup.

You find anything that you have in your cabinets. Stray can of corn, green beans, tomato paste, kidney beans, (any veggie), Tomato juice

Meat of your choice. Usually we use burger or venison. (fully cooked)

Throw in some seasonings that sound yummy. Put it all in a pan and let simmer. Add that 1/2 bag of noodles that's left from the last thing you made. Once the noodles are cooked your ready to eat.

It turns out different everytime, and I haven't had one come out bad yet. Actually, that is what I had for dinner tonight. It's really cold here, and hot soup sounded REALLY good.

:offtopic_happy:
That really reminds me of something I make called "tater-tot nachos"
All you do is take a bag or frozen tater-tots or frozen french frys and spread them on a baking sheat/pan. Dump on a can or two of beans, olives, tomatos, etc. Frozen or canned veggies (I like corn best), some left over tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. the rest of the bag of fresh spinich that's about to turn, and some shredded cheese. Bake until the frozen potato product is done. It's pretty healthy becides the potato product, and it's supper easy and yummy! I don't eat meat, but you could add cooked meat too if you wanted.

FitMommyOf2 10-23-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soygurl (Post 379506)
:
That really reminds me of something I make called "tater-tot nachos"
All you do is take a bag or frozen tater-tots or frozen french frys and spread them on a baking sheat/pan. Dump on a can or two of beans, olives, tomatos, etc. Frozen or canned veggies (I like corn best), some left over tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. the rest of the bag of fresh spinich that's about to turn, and some shredded cheese. Bake until the frozen potato product is done. It's pretty healthy becides the potato product, and it's supper easy and yummy! I don't eat meat, but you could add cooked meat too if you wanted.

Oh, that sounds yummy too!

I have to make all of those yummy casserole dishes now! :drool: