Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   table food/finger food- when is a good time? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50517)

AKM 10-11-2006 06:36 PM

table food/finger food- when is a good time?

My son is 9 months old and has been eating jarred baby food, homemade vegetable and fruit purees and baby cereal, but I wonder when I should start introducing finger food and/or table food.

I have a baby food mill, but when I think about what we're having for dinner, nothing seems appropriate for baby's tummy- chili, bratwurst, wheat spaghetti... I know I'm a little picky about the food I give him. I'm afraid to try those things that are possible allergens, even though neither DH or I are allergic to anything.

What is your experience/advice for a newbie?

Thanks in advance,

TwinKristi 10-11-2006 06:45 PM

Re: table food/finger food- when is a good time?

I have been giving my 10mo DS table foods for about a month now. He really likes them and doesn't like pureed foods as much anymore and is cutting down on bottles as well. I give him the safer softer foods cut up small and in small amounts. He loves avacado, banana, peaches, whole wheat bread, zucchini, banana and pumpkin bread, french toast w/ egg yolks only, certain round noodles like large elbow macaroni cut up, would probably eat salad macaroni sized, cooked zucchini, cooked squash, cooked potato, muffins... he eats a lot of what we eat. He likes cereals like Kix & Cheerios. Just keep trying foods, don't make a huge portion (or plan on eating the rest) but have more on hand if they really like it! My son is allergic to milk so we don't do cottage cheese or yogurt and he HATED the soy yogurt :yuck: We have been trying small amounts of cheese like mozzerella from a string cheese. Obviously, all this is cut up in small 1/4" cubed pcs and soft.

lkarp 10-14-2006 07:03 AM

I was also very cautious with M introducing foods. Really, there is no rush with table foods. I started offering her a little table food at a time once I was sure she wasn't allergic to each individual food in a dish. You should be able to intro finger foods to him now. I started out with puffed brown rice cereal from the natural food store. M loves it. The puffs are a lot bigger and easier for them to grab than rice krispies and there are no additives or preservatives -- just rice. They taste a little like popcorn to me.

How does he do with oatmeal cereal? If he's done okay you may be able to introduce some wheat. After I'd had M on oatmeal for a while I gave her a little bit of wheat bread from the natural food store (I believe the stuff I bought only had wheat, water, and yeast) and she did fine.

Just take it slowly if you are nervous and he'll be fine. Good luck!

Leah

Kele 10-15-2006 06:15 AM

I never gave my third child any jarred food. She went straight to table foods around 9 months (she was also bf - and still is - nurses more than she eats at 16 months). It was so nice to just give her bits of what we were eating - soft foods at that age like pasta and fresh fruit and steamed veggies. :)

stacim 10-17-2006 10:12 AM

I, similar to the pp, gave very little jarred food to #4. He ate a little of the pureed stuff, but is much more inerested in what we are eating. He is just over 11 months and primarily wants stuff he can feed himself. He likes steamed veggies ( carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas), mashed potatoes, beans ( I take them out of soup, chili or whatever it is we are eating and he LOVES them), whole wheat bread, yogurt, cheerios, bran flakes. He is really enjoying experiencing new things and eating what we are eating!

HTH!
:goodvibes:

Indianamom*2 10-17-2006 07:47 PM

With DS we gave un salted, un buttered mash potatoes, mashed peas, mashed carrots, and mashed sweat taters when he was 6 months (OKd by PED). We gave some jarred food but after the whole thing with the baby food being tampered with, the anthrax being put into it, and the metal shavings we stoppped and made our own.
WHen he was about 8 months we started giving more soild foods like chunkier carrots, etc and also started on some of the gerber star puffs and wagon wheels and some cheerios, cut up bananas etc.
He had teeth at 3 months though so it was easier for him.

Never had a problem with it at all.

davechan2003 10-18-2006 09:35 AM

Anna hardly had any purees either. I used the mill for a while, but at 9.5 months she eats mainly finger foods that include cheese, chicken, fish, toast, noodles, rice, f/v such as grapes, apple slivers, beans, bananas, avacado, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gerber graduates (rice puffs), cheerios, puffed wheat cereal. When she started on solids just before 6 months I started with the food mill and our table food (unsalted, unbuttered). She has never minded her food a bit chunky, in fact didn't care for the purees when I bought a jar to try.

MyGlorylife 10-18-2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kele (Post 369003)
I never gave my third child any jarred food. She went straight to table foods around 9 months (she was also bf - and still is - nurses more than she eats at 16 months). It was so nice to just give her bits of what we were eating - soft foods at that age like pasta and fresh fruit and steamed veggies. :)

We are more like this. but we have grown into it.

with first we started on homemade baby food at 6 months- since that was what dr's recomended (we also weren't as crunchy then lol) she took right to food and by 10 months she usually ate a bit of everything off our plates. by 12 months she had weaned herself and ate whatever we ate. (peanut butter and honey we always waited until after 1 year. yogurts and cheeses though we did give at around 10 months- dr said it was good and would help build their milk tollerance)

with second. She stricktly nursed until about 9 months and then would get some table scraps- by 11 months she was way down on nursings and eating whatever we did and/or homemade baby food (by the way she did not get any teeth until she was 10 1/2 months old but had no problem before that nawing on finger foods)

third- pretty much the same as 2nd but had less of the baby food mush- her fav food by 11 months was spegetti!

NOW then fourth and this will hopefully be 5th as well, he nursed for all meals and would snack on what we were eating but it wasn't a necessity. If he didn't get any solid food it made no difference. If we were out and about he would often snack on little things but usually just got extra nursies. This went on for almost an entire glorious year. So slids were not apart of his daily meals until 12 months. Any table foods he ate were whatever we were having- within reason of course. If we ate say steak he did not have that but would have the stuffing, carrots, corn on the cob- you get the picture.

Our more or less motto on the food is they get it when they are big enough to have what we have. It is working for us and I have very good eaters who are not picky, not allergic to anything, and willing to try all kinds of foods.