Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Problems, advice needed... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50559)

Irishmommy 10-11-2006 08:37 PM

Problems, advice needed...

I have had problems since my dd got her teeth at 12 months. It seemed at first that she really didn't know what to do with those teeth in there. She seems to be clamping down when she latches on now, but only on the left side. She was doing it on both sides, but now it only seems to be on the one side. She has drawn blood on several occassions. I have been through two rounds of antibiotics for mastitus and I have had constant pain in the left brest after nursing. The lactation consultant seems to think I have a bleb and that it needs to be lanced. My OB said I need to go to a surgeon and that she feels it is just a latch problem. Now it seems that most of the pain is about 30 min after I nurse on that side. I have a whitening of the nipple and extreme pain from deep in the breast. It seems like it is a vasospasm, but I have no idea what the cause could be except this clamping down thing that she does at the initial latch. But, I have no idea why she does this, especially since she is not doing it on the other side at all. It has gotten so bad that I am almost to the point of weaning on that side. I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever experienced this? :cry:

EmnJJsMom 10-11-2006 08:44 PM

Re: Problems, advice needed...

It doesnt sound like a problem w/dd to me, but I'm not sure. Have you tried changing the way you hold her while you nurse that side?

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-11-2006 08:45 PM

im sorry mama, i dont have advice for you, maybe wean her off one side is going to help, i dont know how to help them not bite, i stopped bf my son when he started using me as a teether, luckily danae didnt get teeth until bately august this year and was about 15 months old, by this time though my milk was drying up and she weaned at 16 months cause of all the stuff weve been going through with the hospital and meds. i hope thigns for you get better **BigHugs**

Irishmommy 10-11-2006 08:50 PM

When she was biting upon latching on both sides we had been lying down nursing, so I switched to sitting up and that helped a bit. Now we have been lying again and she has gotten better on the right side, but not on left. Then I still get pain even when she doesn't bite at all. Maybe I do just need to go to the surgeon. I am just so tired of doctors right now. I already had to see a hand surgeon this week for my carpel tunnel that hasn't gone away (got it in pregnancy). Sorry for the vent, ot.

EmnJJsMom 10-11-2006 08:54 PM

Maybe you have an abcessed milk duct?? I know that comes easy with mastitis and can cause MAJOR problems. My nipples only got sore with bad latches, no infections inside the breast.

dessismama 10-12-2006 12:13 AM

:hugs: I know your pain!!:(

I have had trouble with bites with all my nurslings but the baby is the worst... I think I have had 10 bouts of mastitis from his bites... I found out that drinking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar a day works to prevent these infections. Also, I bought a mastitis remedy ticture (it is basically a bunch of immune stimulating herbs) and the last time I used it with success...

I have also upped my probiotics and omega oils too.

Hope this helps you some!!

MyGlorylife 10-12-2006 07:42 AM

I would also suggest getting some acidopholis- you can use it in liquid or capsul- the liquid is gross so I use the capsuls. Anyway, a lot of time when things keep comming back it is because of bacteris within your system and the Acidopholis will remedy that. Also what you may want to do it only nurse on your good side for a while, thus giving your hurt side a break. You can hand express to keep milk flow on that side. You probably will not get as much with hand expressing but its good to keep the milk flowing. Your dd will have no problem going back to drinking out of both sides once you are healed and it won't take that long for the hurt breast to beef back up in milk. I have had so many "weird" breast problems and the such and this is the recipe for success. A breast break and a bacteria balance! LOL-

1bigfamily 10-12-2006 08:41 AM

I have had what sounds like the same problem. I never had these problems with my other kids. I just keep nursing on that side for the bleb to go away. It still hurt for a while but eventually it went away. You could also have your midwife try to lance it. It could be a good idea to try that first. I know this sounds bad but I don't go to my doctor first when it comes to bfing. I would talk to a midwife or lactation consultant and see what they say.