Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help everyone is telling me to stop BF my almost 4month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506008)

0351wife 08-01-2008 03:41 PM

Help everyone is telling me to stop BF my almost 4month old

AHHHHh HELP...lol! ok everyone is telling me to stop BF my almost 4month old Son....i am gonna list the reasons they are giving me......

hes old enough to take fourmula (are u kiddingme i dont care i dont want him to have it)
i need to have more time to spend wiht my other 2 kids..(umm again are u kiding me so i can wash bottles make bottles all that crap..)

its just not fair that i have to stop every 2 hours to feed him.....hello i would have to stop anywya to feed him

my mil said its not fair i am the only one that gets to feed him..(to bad he dont like bottels)

and lastly because my daughters try to BF there Babies......( awe i think tis cute..they are such great lil mamas)

ok i really really dont wanna stop BF him but i am getting fed up wiht all these ppl tellin me to stop......i guess i just need some pick me ups lol!

i BF my girls to.. my first i bf for almost 6months my second was 3months (my mil gave her fourmula wiht out my concent and once u got the bottle she wouldnt take my boob anymore and it go to be more ofa fight than anything trying to give her BM so i just gave her the stupid fourmula)

but this time i determed to BF at least 12months..... thanks for any adivice yall can give!

Bekah

Happygrl6 08-01-2008 03:47 PM

Re: Help everyone is telling me to stop BF my almost 4month old

When it comes to BFing, I'm a BIG proponent of setting boundaries. I'd state once more that you are going to nurse your son until those directly involved in the nursing relationship decide its over and that its not up for discussion. Then I'd promptly remove myself from the room, the house, the phone, whatever each and every time its mentioned.

Give a couple reasons, if you really desire but I'd probably skip because they don't sound like they care to hear.

kimh76 08-01-2008 05:32 PM

So many people don't understand breastfeeding and it's very unfortunate. My advice would be to ignore all those people and do what you feel is right for your child! People feel bad for me because I have to feed my 2 month old every 2 hours - they don't understand that it's my choice and I LOVE it.

*Katherine* 08-01-2008 05:35 PM

Just tell them my son, my rules. Looking at your siggy, he isn't even close to 3 months!! Tell them to back off! And if my MIL ever gave my kids something without my consent, there would be heck to pay, so I wouldn't leave him alone with them. If I say something with confidence and as if it is the end of the discussion, people usually don't bring it back up to me. I tend to be a bit forceful though :blush: Can't help the mama bear in me though!

sunnie_skys 08-01-2008 05:37 PM

I would put my foot down and hard!! Tell her this is what you want, it is best for the baby and to BACK OFF!! tell her if you have to have this discussion again out the door you go.

mom2piddle 08-01-2008 07:06 PM

:hugs: I know how you feel! and "you go girl!":thumbsup: for doing what you know is best for you and your baby for 3 mos and counting!:giggle2:

I am nursing my now 7mos old and she just got teeth so I get to add that to the list of reasons why other ppl think I should stop nursing!

That list also includes some of the same things yours does:
-spending time with other DC
-letting other ppl feed her (they sure aren't standing in line to change dirty diaps! LOL!):roflmbo:
-because she's old enough

HeatherlovesCDs 08-01-2008 07:11 PM

It's your MIL right? I'd have my DH tell her. I'd have him say something like, "Mom, we have decided that we are going to continue BFing our son. It's what we feel is best and what we want. If it changes, we'll let you know. Please stop bringing it up." Honestly my in-laws, if he told them, they'd be more likely to give it up because he is their son. Then, I'd just change the subject anytime they brought it up or leave the room/get off the phone. You are doing the right thing. None of their reasons make sense. I find I can tend to be a bit of a push over. As soon as it was about what is best for my child, I'm not easily pushed over anymore. I'm willing to stand up for my kids and what I think is best, even if I find ways to do it passively. You could pump and let people give EBM, but if you don't want to, then don't. It's your call.

nini02 08-01-2008 07:27 PM

:hugs: I'm sorry you're getting so much flack for your great decision to BF your baby for a full year.

Now, if my MIL (or anyone, really) gave my baby a bottle against my wishes, she wouldn't be spending another second alone with them for quite a while. That is just so wrong, and I would be irate. :yuck:

I agree with the others, it's time to be as blunt as you can be, that this is NOT her child, therefore it is NOT something she has any say in and she needs to leave it alone. I'd also tell her if she can't stop hassling you, she just won't be seeing much of you or the kids until she can quit with the comments. I have zero patience for that kind of behavior, personally.

I hope your DH is willing to back you up, since it's his mom...and again, kudos to you on having a great goal :hugs:

ETA - the first time I read your post, I thought it was your MIL saying all those things...so I guess I sound a little harsh. :o The giving a bottle without your consent thing is pretty crappy though...

lydiamom 08-01-2008 07:29 PM

Those are really weak pathetic reasons they gave you to stop. As far as you being the only one able to feed him--oh well, he's your son! There are many other things that they can do to bond with him. And I think its adorable that your other kids breastfeed their dolls! Mine does too and I love it--she's gonna grow up knowing that that is how babies eat. I agree with the pps. You need to set some boundaries and say this is my kid, I'm making this decision, please respect it. Or better yet have DH do it.

dorfmama 08-01-2008 07:50 PM

I breastfed my 3 younger children. The 2nd for a year, the 3rd for 14 months, and the 4th for 15 months. They all self-weaned. My mom would occasionally complain about not being able to feed the baby, but, like someone else said, no one was lining up to change the poopy diapers. Stand your ground! Tell the person it is really none of their business how long you breastfeed your baby, and that you are giving him the best by breastfeeding.