Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   UPDATE~HELP!!! Diflucan while BFing??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5075)

HippieMomToLennon 05-10-2006 09:52 PM

UPDATE~HELP!!! Diflucan while BFing???

DS has thrush and is being treated with Nystatin. I called my OBGYN today and they called me in a prescription for Diflucan (Flucanazole). But on the pharmacy insert, it says DO NOT take while BFing. What is up with that? I've read other posts on here about thrush and that other mama's were prescribed it and took it. But I don't want to do anything that's not safe. Anyone know??

I took my first Diflucan pill last night. I feed DS right before bed (around 11-11:30). He slept until 7 this morning and I actually had to wake him up. Then he barely ate. He had a dr appt but I didn't think much about the sleeping and eating so I didn't ask. We got home and he fell back asleep. I woke him up at 11 to try and eat but he would suckle a little and fall back asleep. I tried undressing him, cold rag, even ice on his skin. Nothing worked. I called the ped. and am waiting on a call back. AND he got circumcised today. I really worried that it's something in the medicine.

dirtdartwife 05-10-2006 09:59 PM

Re: Diflucan while BFing???

It's safe... LOTS of medications have that warning about not breastfeeding while taking it. Although it's always best to research it even after a doc has told you it's not ok. I've now had two medications and two different docs, both docs told me to not take the meds while nursing yet after doing just a surface look, I found out I can take the meds and baby will be fine. I was able to ask one of the docs later why he told me I couldn't take it yet it's safe to take while nursing and he just gave me this funky look and shrugged his shoulders. :headscratch:

good luck though!

dessismama 05-10-2006 10:01 PM

Yes, safe! I have taken it while nursing...:)

cowmommy 05-10-2006 10:19 PM

it's safe i have to take it every time i take antibiotics:yuck:

allycat 05-11-2006 12:05 AM

I took it. It was the only thing that would help me. I had thrush bad on my nipples and my son had it in his mouth and we got it 3-4 times in a row over about 3 months. Aweful. I almost stopped bf because it was so painful!! Take the diflucan!! It is a lifesaver!! I didn't have any side effects from it either:thumbsup:

ajfowle 05-15-2006 09:28 AM

Re: UPDATE~HELP!!! Diflucan while BFing???

I had a horrible case of yeast/thrush and took Diflucan for 31 days!! It's fine. I bet your babe is so sleepy because he's recovering from his procedure. Will he nurse while sleeping? Maybe you could just lie down with him and both of you rest and let him nurse and sleep. It's be good for BOTH of you.

jls~Kain~Drake 05-15-2006 02:57 PM

Just adding another - I've done it too. I took diflucan while breastfeeding both of my boys.

aschrimp 05-17-2006 01:49 AM

I took Diflucan just a couple months ago, with no ill effects. I see midwives in a pretty natural practice, and they also said that it was safe while bfing.

I would say that it is much more likely that your son is sleepy because he was just circumcised. A lot of babies react to pain by shutting down some, plus if he cried a lot during/after he may be worn out. I seem to remember my nephew sleeping a lot after he was circ'd, but my ds was not, so I am not sure how long the sleepiness would last.

leobaby04 05-18-2006 07:24 AM

I took it while bfing, too. It's safe. :thumbsup:

regripley 05-18-2006 11:39 AM

I have taken it with all of my kids (3) -- it is safe! :thumbsup: Just not while pregnant. :)