Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why don't people breastfeed? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50768)

Teresa 10-12-2006 11:04 AM

Why don't people breastfeed?

Several of my breastfeeding friends and I have recently been discussing why people don't breastfeed. With all the benefits, we are curious why people choose not to breastfeed. I realize there are some circumstances where a mother or baby is physically not able to breastfeed, and that's not what I'm wondering about. If you didn't breastfeed or breastfed for a short time, I'd love to hear how you made your decisions. Note: The purpose of this thread is not to slam other's decisions. Please share.

Proverbs169 10-12-2006 11:10 AM

Re: Why don't people breastfeed?

I breastfeed, but a close friend told me she wouldn't because it is "icky." This said while I was nursing KB.... So I told her to imagine her dear child getting milk right from the cow, is that somehow less icky? ;)

I think two of the main reasons are: 1. It takes work to learn to bf. It can be very painful and frustrating. 2. You are much more tied down to baby. It's a crimp on mommy's lifestyle. Even if you pump and/ or supplement, breastfeeding is sometimes too "attached" for some women.

EmnJJsMom 10-12-2006 11:11 AM

I know my mom chose not to breastfeed because my dad said he'd leave her if he did. Personally I would have said "buh-bye!" but she wasn't as strong of a woman then like she is now!

I chose to stop breastfeeding at 6 months because of milk supply issues.

With my second daughter I'm currently breastfeeding and she's 9 months old.

Timetodance 10-12-2006 11:13 AM

My mom nursed, my sister nurses, my friends all nurse. But in my husbands family (several states away) no one nurses, none of their friends nurse. It was hard enough figuring how to do it will all of the support I had, I can't imagine trying in a environment where no one breastfeeds.

OneFabMama 10-12-2006 11:13 AM

Personally, I breastfed my DD until she was 15 months old.

My best friend BF and stopped when her DS was 2 months old. And, Im really proud of her for doing it for just 2 months, she stopped because it was just a personal choice of hers. She was going to school at the time and she had a really hard time pumping enough for his demand (he was a little chunker, and still is) so she had to supplement when she wasnt home anyway. And, it just got easier for her to give him forumla. And, that and I think it made her a little uncomfortable. Maybe a lot uncomfortable. I dunno, I never asked since it wasnt my business - but not everyone is comfortable doing it especially when you dont have a lot of support (which she didnt).

Emma 10-12-2006 11:15 AM

I was BFing. I wanted to until DD was a year old. BUT...I had a really bad yeast infection in my breasts, and it took 3 rounds of diflucan and an antibiotic to make it go away. Even now, one of my breasts is still kind of tender. Dealing with painful nursing for 3 months as well as having my milk supply start to diminish (I think b/c of the antibiotics?), I wasn't making enough milk anymore, and I was jaded from the constant pain. Hopefully w/our next baby, I'll be able to keep nursing. I didn't want to stop so soon.

KV Boo 10-12-2006 11:23 AM

I have 3 DD's the youngest just 2 months and i bottle fed them all.I just never felt comfortable with breastfeeding or thinking of breastfeeding my girls.I don't have a problem with other woman doing it but it's just not for me.

rxmommy 10-12-2006 11:25 AM

My SIL has already stated she'll never BF or even try. They pretty much think I'm wacko for nursing older DD as long as I did (9 months) and still nursing ydd now (at 7 months...that is not long at all!!). I don't know exactly what her reasons are, I think she just doesn't want to be that attached to the baby, doesn't want to have to get up all night with it (she'll make DH do bottles some of the time I'm sure), and isn't willing to do that much work. Whatever, I think she's just being lazy about it. But she's not even married yet so perhaps I can change her mind!

Oh, and she likes to throw in my face that both my girls get sick even though they're bf, and that one of their cousins was bf and had to have ear tubes put in. Well, it's not like nursing is an automatic shield!! They all go to daycare...that's a big factor too!

MamaMegan 10-12-2006 11:27 AM

I pumped exclusively with DS-- had a LC tell me that didn't count as breastfeeding since he received his BM through a bottle. He was a preemie and by the time he could actually eat, he had problems latching onto anything-- he was 2 months old before we could get him to take any type of bottle. I had an over abundant supply which made it easy-- I'd pump for 5 minutes (double electric) and get 8+ ouncers per side so I was able to pump his bottles fresh and then had a great freezer stock for when my supply disappeared. He got breast milk exclusively until 6 months, then BM (from my frozen supply) and formula until 9 months, then strictly formula. But dang, I was proud (still am!) that I was able to do that for him for so long-- even working!

After that I was dead set on exclusively breastfeeding-- the thought of pumping made me cry. I had to pump every 3 hours all day (even through the nights) or my supply which was great would dip to nothing. I went through 2 Medela PIS (luckily my insurance covered them) because I burned the motors out. I took classes, read books, was totally armed and set about it. That said,DD is primarily FF. She nurses in the mornings now though I am more and more sure she's getting nothing. It's more of a comfort issue for her.

My milk came in with her right away, but barely anything was coming out and I developed mastits from the get go-- we were having her on as much as possible (she was in the NICU shortly then had onboard IVs for a few days-- which made her less hungry and it was a PITA to get her positioned with all the equipment) and pumping. By the time she was 9 days old I was pumping or expressing more blood than colstrum and she was throwing up everything she took him (nursing)-- antibiotics weren't clearing it up and I was about to die (104+ fever, my boobs were bleeding the skin was so stretched, I had an infection on them from the open sores from them being so engorged-- I had no help-- my husband was working 12 hours a day, no family, and the LLL here was of no help, neither was the LC I was talking to-- the LC actually told me it might be better to stop). She was refusing the breast and for medical reasons needed to be supplemented or be hospitalized with IVs.... so I gave up.

Weaning was miserable and painful---- I tried to relactate when she was three months old and was able to get some back but it's been such a small supply even with holistic and prescription drugs. I'd say she's been almost exclusively formula fed. I would have (would still give) anything to breastfeed her exclusively since she has so many allergies and problems with reflux.

But honestly, if we were to have a third (which won't happen) I would probably not breastfeed because I am ready to say I can't. Sorry for the novel. It's a big issue with me and... that actually felt good to write it all down.

bsydprmkn 10-12-2006 11:28 AM

i tried bf dd, just didnt happen do to lack of support and noone really helping me. with ds, i had the same problem and he had several health issues that i was trying to work through as well. i plan on nursing the third one now that i am much more informed and have alot of support :)

dh was never bf because his mom's glands never produced milk, never!
i was bf until i was 4 months