Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone refuse pap smears/vaginal exams during pregnancy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508618)

isabel249 08-04-2008 08:13 PM

Anyone refuse pap smears/vaginal exams during pregnancy?

I know this may seem like a strange question... but I have extreme anxiety problems regarding anything touching/being down there. I have always been that way. It makes me very (to say the least) nervous/uncomfortable and I usually get the shakes and cry if I have to have a pap or be checked vaginally in any way. It's very painful for me.

And if you're wondering, yes, it does effect my sexual relationship with DH. While I'm not scared of him its just not something I will never be really comfortable with and we do not do it very often. It does hurt most times.

Anyway- sorry for the long and maybe TMI post but while I'm very happy to be pregnant I am terrified to have to go through this again. While I enjoyed feeling my daughter during my first pregnancy and getting the ultrasounds... all doctors visits that required exams and my labor/delivery were horrible and I cringe to think about having to do that again. Of course it was worth it in the end but it was really bad for me.

I am seriously considering trying to refuse the pap smear at the first visit... and ask if I can have as few vaginal checks as possible during this pregnancy.

amphibology29 08-04-2008 09:08 PM

Re: Anyone refuse pap smears/vaginal exams during pregnancy?

You can refuse the pap and ALL vaginal checks if you want to. They're not going to force anything on you. Some doctors might try to give you a hard time about it but if you feel close enough with your doctor to explain your discomfort with it, I'm sure they will be much more accommodating.

ForeverYoung 08-04-2008 09:12 PM

I had recently had a pap prior to this pregnancy. THey still wanted to do another. I told them no, and that I owuld not be having one. They were okay with it. Just stick up for yourself...no reason you should be made to feel that way if it bothers you so bad.

clothmamaof4 08-04-2008 09:17 PM

Check into it but I think that in all areas under Patients Rights laws you have a legal right to refuse any tests you don't want, of course a Dr can refuse care also. You might have to do some looking to find a Dr. that's OK with the Pap refusal. I've refused because after my daughter I lost a pregnancy to the Dr. being to too harsh with the pap/internal. I told my last Dr. that it didn't matter if I did have cervical cancer I wouldn't treat it anyway until the pregnancy was over unless I was near death so she got the idea and never did a Pap. (I only do Dr's for the Ultrasound and blood work to be covered under insurance then my mom/midwife takes over my care) You might want to consider a Midwife if your health or state laws allow because they don't do those tests or exams.

baylandria 08-04-2008 09:24 PM

My midwife actually prefered not to check her patients unless absolutely needed...I was only checked one time and it was at my request. Maybe a midwife would be a good to look into. It was a totally different experience than with my Dr. my last pregnancy. (I am not against Drs, by the way...I just finally decided that I needed something different) I hope you find what you need! I am sorry that this is hard...

Lisa_delo 08-05-2008 08:49 AM

You can refuse Pap smears I did with both of my other two as I was very nervous about having them while I was pregnant. Back home (UK)they don't so them on you routinely when you are pregnant as they think they can cause issues. You get one at your 6 week postnatal check.

grace_n_josie 08-05-2008 09:06 AM

You can refuse them all and I do after the first one. I like to get the first one because evertime I get pregnant it is almost time for my yearly anyway and a lot of wemo in my faily have had cervical cancer so I like to keep a check on that. I refuse anymore after that until I hit 37 weeks or so...

Liddle1 08-05-2008 09:09 AM

I refused a pap smear because I don't really see the point of disturbing things down there right now. I'll get it done after the birth. As far as vaginal exams, I don't know why so many doctors insist on doing them as often as they do. I haven't had one my entire pregnancy and my midwife probably won't start doing any until the last month when she checks me weekly.

TieNappyQueen 08-05-2008 09:11 AM

none here!

growbabygrow 08-05-2008 09:34 AM

I refused them too! That is until I was having contractions that bothered me worse than the exams. I think I only had 3 my whole pregnancy until I delivered. I just wanted to add if you are GBS positive it is better to stay away from them anyway.