Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Has anybody used real sugar cane before? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50961)

keegans_mommy 10-12-2006 06:30 PM

Has anybody used real sugar cane before?

We went to the grocery store this evening and they had actual sugar canes in a barrel this evening! They look like brown bamboo stalks but thick and heavy. How do you open and use it? Anybody?

MommaRhi 10-12-2006 09:10 PM

Re: Has anybody used real sugar cane before?

Ive eaten it! My grandma brought some home from Hawaii years and years ago. From what I remember, you just gnaw on the actual cane part! You just bite the wood part and then the sugar comes out. You dont actually swallow the wood part, just chew it.

somersocial 10-12-2006 11:04 PM

No - I have seen it, dh probably wouldn't let me bring an actual sugar cane in the house ~ we grow sugarbeets for a living ~ cane is competition! :lostit:

Niccole

keegans_mommy 10-13-2006 06:20 AM

hmmmmmmm, I wonder if I should buy it just for fun! We like to buy one new piece of produce every week because you never know what you may like :)

*~Mindy~* 10-13-2006 06:35 AM

ive used it before but not straight from the cane, lol!! my friend brought some to school for a project on hawaii once, but..we just kinda looked at it lol
have fun if you get it, with your trying something new thing :D

chocolatepop1 10-13-2006 09:41 AM

Yup, use to eat it all the time. You have to peel down the woody outside stalk to the white flesh inside, then this flesh is chewed on. I personally like it, but DH was like OH NO!! (I think it is because his family grows beets too!)

Mom2Natalya 10-13-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaRhi (Post 363361)
Ive eaten it! My grandma brought some home from Hawaii years and years ago. From what I remember, you just gnaw on the actual cane part! You just bite the wood part and then the sugar comes out. You dont actually swallow the wood part, just chew it.

yep- you just chop it into a small piece and chew on it. yuuuuuuummmmmm my Jamaican friends introduced me to sugar cane. mmmmmm

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 10-13-2006 05:36 PM

we grew up eating these! my grandmother had a HUGE plant in her backyard, the plant/tree's leaves are super sharp and slice you..lol
we used to get into it anyway to get the sugar canes.
ash them and cut the ends on both sides then with a knife carefully peel the outer, we used to just chop it kinda squared.
the flesh on the inside is soo tasty! chey it til theres no more flavor but dont swallow it, probably wont hurt you but might constipate you and the kids..hehehe

momx2 10-14-2006 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaRhi (Post 363361)

yup! thats exactly how you eat sugar cane! lol

heidisue 10-14-2006 02:45 AM

Yep, mmmm....