Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Don't reuse Madela pumps? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50997)

aran_knitter 10-12-2006 07:50 PM

Don't reuse Madela pumps?

I went to my childbirth class tonight and the topic was breastfeeding. The lactation consultant very strongly recommend that the Madela Pump In Style (as well as several other pumps) be considere one-person items. The Madela in particular - referring to the fact that the milk can/may make contact with the tubing and be sucked into the motor, and then produce bacteria. She said that someone she knows took the panel off the front of the motor, and found that it had pulled in milk, and that there was build-up in the motor itself. :yuck:

Does anyone know anything about this? I was given a very lightly used Madela, and just assumed that I could replace several parts, and sterilize others, and it would be okay to use... but now I'm not so sure.

I don't really need to use an electric - we're planning on DH doing one bottle feeding each evening ("Daddy Time" :pickuphapby: ), during which, I will pump... so an electric really is overkill... but I'm still a bit disappointed by this.

ravenonyx 10-12-2006 08:22 PM

Re: Don't reuse Madela pumps?

The only pumps OK'd for multiple users are hospital grade (Lactina, Symphony)and closed loop systems (the Ameda Purely Yours, I think.)

With that said, I made the personal decision to use a used pump. Usually if milk enters the motor, one of two things will happen - bacteria will form, or the motor will cease to function. I actually killed a pump by having milk back up into the motor. But regarding the bacteria.. there's bacteria in the air, too, to be frank, and that's what your milk would encounter in normal circumstances with a pump. If you had milk back up into the motor of a used unit - yeah, toss the milk just in case maybe. But in normal operation it won't ever touch it, and the parts it is in direct contact with are replaceable. There is always the chance that the previous person had a communicative virus that survived being dried out in the motor and could expose you and your baby, but I personally believe that chance is remote and I've not heard of an actual reported case of it happening.

But yes, the manufacturer and LC's recommend not purchasing/using a used pump of any type that is not a closed loop or multiuser system.

MamaMegan 10-12-2006 08:28 PM

I used a Medela PIS with DS and I would get distracted and overflow bottles, and I did see milk go through the tubes into the area the tubes connect-- that's what makes it iffy-- the Ameda is the only one approved for use by more than one person.

That said I gave one of my PIS that got little use before I stopped pumping with DS (PIS aren't meant for exclusive pumping over long term this was the 3rd) to a 15 year old mom who was wanting to keep BFing and pump during school-- she got all new parts from WIC with a hand pump. She's used it for 6 months now.

aschrimp 10-12-2006 11:20 PM

Whittlestone pumps are also closed systems, and less expensive than some of the other closed system pumps (I got mine used for $100). You can sterilize everything but the one way valve, which you can order. Mine worked great, although now I just use an avent manual pump for occasional pumping - pulling out the big pump seems to be overkill for occasional over-supply (ds won't take bottles).
My LC gave us the same lecture, but at the end she said that there had never been a known case of any communicable diseases being spread by a used breast pump, ever.

trashley 10-12-2006 11:34 PM

They HAVE to tell you that for liability reasons. Yes, there is that chance (very small), and you just have to decide if you're willing to take that chance.

Personally, I was willing to take a chance on a used pump from someone I trusted :thumbsup:

MistyP 10-13-2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashley (Post 363727)
They HAVE to tell you that for liability reasons. Yes, there is that chance (very small), and you just have to decide if you're willing to take that chance.

Personally, I was willing to take a chance on a used pump from someone I trusted :thumbsup:

:yeahthat: With DD #1 I used my SIL's pump, just bought my own stuff. With dd #2 I bought my own PIS and I am using it with dd #3 too.

Pumps are expensive, and especially if you only need it for occasional use, I would use the used one. The tubing and horns thingys on my new PIS (2004)are different than the old ones, less likely for milk to back up in them. And, on my new pump you can take the front cover of the motor off so you could check it or clean it.

augustgirl69 10-13-2006 06:54 AM

I would use a PIS form someone I know well and just buy parts.

I loaned my PIS to my SIL- she just bought new parts. They are not made to last forever though. I bought it with dd#1 and used it on my 3 kids for occasional nights out. SIL used it with her 3 too - with her first she WOH so it saw a lot of use, last 2 a few times and she just called my to say it broke. So it did make it through 6 kids with light use.

I'd just know how many kids it's been through KWIM?

aran_knitter 10-13-2006 03:46 PM

I'm glad to hear that others are using used pumps... I'm all in favor of cleanliness, but my gut feeling is that this would be no problem. (I grew up on a farm, was exposed to all kinds of bacteria, lived on raw milk for years - and I have an extremely strong immune system - I very rarely get sick - maybe once a year! I sometimes think that it is possible to overdo the cleanliness/antibacterial thing, not allowing immune systems to strengthen.)

The gal giving it to me had her baby about 5 months ago said that she used it maybe 6 times. The likelihood of any build up would be very small - and I would be replacing all parts that I can... so... I think I'll give it a try.

garjul 10-13-2006 03:59 PM

From what I have heard and read, it's not so much bacteria, but viruses that professionals are worried about when it comes to reusing breast pumps. If you find a pump from someone you trust and know, then I don't see the problem. But HIV and Hepatitis can be spread through those devices, so if you don't know the person then I might be a bit wary. Yes, it is rare, but it has happened from what I have heard. :blush:

Leininger27 10-13-2006 04:03 PM

The Playtex embrace is a closed system so can be used by multiple users! I have that pump and love it!! I also use playtex bottles so it makes it even more handy! I pump right into the dropins so no transfer and no wasted milk!