Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Have you ever attended the birth of a child, not your own? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51022)

Mom2Natalya 10-12-2006 10:13 PM

Have you ever attended the birth of a child, not your own?

I was talking with a friend recently, and we thought it was very interesting that many people we know have never attended the birth of a child (other than their own, of course!) [not including medical professionals and doulas ;) ]

So I was wondering, how many women here had attended another birth. You know, back in the days of "the village environment" women helped birth babies, it was just what was done, but now, most women have never seen a baby born (not on tv).

I was lucky enough to assist my SIL during the birth of my niece. It was so amazing and wonderful. My DD was 6 months old at the time, so my own birth was very fresh in my mind still. . . but seeing it firsthand was so much more powerful and miraculous (oddly enough) than experiencing it (even without an epi!) I actually started crying when my neice was born, but when my DD was born, I think I was so relieved it was over, I didn't do anything but sigh a big sigh of relief. ;)

nothing_butt_cloth 10-12-2006 10:18 PM

Re: Have you ever attended the birth of a child, not your own?

I did, and thenbecame a doula LOL I had to attend more births. Funny thing is, I dont think about the baby when at the birth. At the last birth i attened as a friend, i forgot she was having a baby. it was all about mom...

I want alot of ppl at my homebirth coming up, but hubby says no, just us... and i have to respect his wishes. I find it neat to see a bunch of women in action, when a mom is in labor:cry:

marelle4381 10-12-2006 10:32 PM

I did when I was 18. I saw my good friend Anna give birth to her daughter. I'll also be in the room when my best friend gives birth to her daughter in February. She and another friend were in the room when I gave birth to my son.

Proverbs169 10-12-2006 10:34 PM

I want to! I had both a close friend and my sister at my last birth. This same friend is pg with #4 and if she didn't have to have a c/s I would SO be there. My sister better let me for her first LOL

TKDMama 10-12-2006 10:46 PM

I did, but not as labor support - I got to be there when several of my siblings were born (I'm the oldest of 8). I was 10 my 2nd sister was born, and that was the first time I'd seen a baby born. I was in complete awe - it made me cry, actually, because it was such a powerful, incredible thing. I felt that way at each birth after that. Birth is such an amazing thing, and I actually went through doula training a number of years ago, but ended up not practicing. I really felt like I needed to actually get to give birth myself and be a mother before I put my energy into being there for others. Not because I necessarily think I needed to have that experience in order to support other birthing women, but just as a sort of "selfish" thing - kind of like, when you're hungry, you don't really want to sit there and wait on people who are eating! So, I was craving the birth and mother experience for myself, and it just wasn't going to cut it to live vicariously through other women who were having babies.

Anyway, I'm rambling! It's really a privilege to be at a birth. Birth is such a powerful, private space, for both mother and baby, and to be a part of that is magical.

MamaJo 10-12-2006 10:52 PM

Nope. When my dd was born 8 yrs ago, it was the first birth my mom had seen. My ds was the second....both my mom and my mil were there. I decided no more :giggle: Sam and I are going this next one alone. It felt more like they were there for the show than to support me or experience it with me, kwim? That sucked....

JoyfulRose 10-12-2006 10:54 PM

I'm the oldest of 6 kids and was there when my youngest sister (now 12) was born. It was an incredible experience! I loved being there. I was 15 at the time.

When my oldest son was born my husband, Mom, and a sister (she was 20 at the time) were there. Also our dr and a couple of nurses. It was wonderful having the support of my family there. My sister kept bringing washcloths of cool water for my head. She was such a sweetheart!

With my youngest son we had my husband, Mom, and 2 sisters (they're 24 and 18). And our midwife and a couple of nurses. My sisters massaged my feet at the very end when I was starting to get uncomfortable (we did HypnoBirthing and it worked really well!) My other sister would have been there too, but she's doing a church mission in Indonesia. :)

I'll definately have my DH, Mom, and sisters at future births!

Hayley 10-12-2006 11:01 PM

I was my SIL coach with my nephew (since we were due at the same time and I lost mine) and I was there with my sister when she had her youngest son (10 weeks before Noah was born) It was great I would do it over again too. However my only problem is I stop breathing because I hold my breathe too much! I get really involved!~

jaseyandmallorysmommy 10-12-2006 11:06 PM

I haven't but my best friend Suzanne was in the room with my dh when my daughter was born. I'm so glad she was!

somersocial 10-12-2006 11:24 PM

I was with my sister for her first baby! Her boyfriend was a lightweight and still is LOL!