Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   nap schedule-help!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51135)

ashleynjacy 10-13-2006 08:52 AM

nap schedule-help!!!!

my daughter is almost 9 months old. She likes to go to bed late (11) and wake up around 9. she never naps at the same time during the day. the only time she can fall asleep is if i nurse her until she falls asleep. i like to go to bed early and wake up early. what can i do to establish a sleep and nap schedule??? keep in mind i watch 2 other babies i take care of....

OneFabMama 10-13-2006 09:31 AM

Re: nap schedule-help!!!!

good question. i let my dd kinda decide her own schedule, and it changes often. she just went from 2 naps to 1 :lostit: a few weeks ago. she did it all on her own, and decided when she would nap all on her own (she goes down about 11-11:30)
so i dont much advice. my dd also had to be nursed to sleep for a long time which was fine for me until she got mobile enough to roll off the bed (even with mounds of pillow around her) or she'd fall off the bed trying to get off so I said "she needs to nap IN her crib" at 10 mo old I started letting her CIO and after 2 days it was cake. I know that isnt for everyone, so I wont even suggest it, thats just what worked for us. Now she sleeps on her own. She does take naps in our bed, but she is old enough now that shecan get down by herself. So, Im comfortable with that.
I say, the easiest way to establish a scheule ime is follow her. gl!

9800Emily 10-13-2006 09:53 AM

My dd is the same age as yours and I have been wondering this to. In the last few days she has been wanting to go to sleep later, get up earlier and is now taking two long naps. I have always just let her set her own schedule, but would like to get a flexible one that is consistent. We tried CIO with my dd for the same reason OneFabMama said, but just couldn't get it to work. My dd is stubborn and I gave up after 2+ hours of screaming (I did go in during that time, she wasn't just left alone). No help just wondering the same thing myself.

titania 10-13-2006 08:19 PM

i may not be the best help here, my boys are not great sleepers, but i will tell you what i can. earlier bedtimes will result in better sleep, and more of it. 11 is on the late side. day and night sleep will affect each other, so getting to bed earlier will help with naptimes. depending on your style, 2 books that are good for advice are the no cry sleep solution by elizabeth pantley, and healthy sleep habits, happy child by marc weissbluth. both books have great advice and a fairly straightforward action plan to getting better sleep. the problem here is, i realize, me. i have been so inconsistent that it has caused more problems. gotta get better about that!

try to get your baby down for the morning nap about 2 -2 1/2 hours after waking for the day. the second nap should be somewhere in the early afternoon. and then an early bedtime.

routines are extremely helpful. they don't need to be elaborate, just consistent.

do the other kids you watch take naps too?

asandwick 10-13-2006 08:34 PM

:hugs: