Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How to Soften Up Diapers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5116)

suzhatch1 05-11-2006 07:04 AM

How to Soften Up Diapers?

I recently bought some GUC dipes that I believe are OC or OC/Hemp blend and noticed that they feel quite stiff and a bit "hard" :confused: I'm sure it's just from repeated previous washings & wear, but I'm wondering if there is a safe way to "soften" them up again. I'm sure they'll never feel as soft as brand new dipes, but just hoping for a little bit more softness would be nice :laugh:

I'm so careful not to use any additives to my wash routine except the minimum amount of detergent, but I'm wondering if maybe a touch of liquid fabric softener would be called for in this case? Maybe a pre-soak in cold w/some softener - or add the softener to the actual hot wash cycle? :headscratch: I don't want to damage the dipes, just wanna soften 'em up a bit......anyone have any recommendations?

TIA!
Suz :)

Carrie 05-11-2006 07:29 AM

Re: How to Soften Up Diapers?

Vinegar will work fine as a fabric softener. I wouldn't add any commercial softener b/c it adds a coating that reduces absorbancy. Have you wahed them yet? Because the tumble dryer can also help with hemp stiffness. I'm not sure how much vinegar to add--maybe 1/4 cup or so to the final rinse. Then tumble dry. That should soften them up nicely!

wbkt8 05-11-2006 07:31 AM

yeah, i was about to ask if you air dried them or used the dryer.

Minniebees 05-11-2006 07:49 AM

Try soaking them in Borax, it will loosen up any residue on the diapers. I also dry using dryer balls and my diapers are softer (but don't dry faster).

suzhatch1 05-11-2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbkt8
yeah, i was about to ask if you air dried them or used the dryer.

I just got them a couple days ago from another Mama on here & I don't know how she dried them, but in after my initial wash, I tumble dried them in the machine dryer.

I may try the vinegar in the rinse cycle to see if that helps any. Although I usually do an extra rinse after adding any vinegar (just to make sure I get all of it out). I know I used vinegar once or twice before when stripping, and I don't think I noticed the dipes being any softer. :headscratch: Although I guess I wasn't really looking for softness then :giggle: but now I am. LOL!!

wbkt8 05-11-2006 09:26 AM

the only reason i asked is that i know the few times i've line dried hemp it was stiff as a board....drying in the dryer usually helps that for me.

maybe a dryer ball. i know they make special ones but i've been wondering lately if a white tennis ball would work....my mom uses those in her dryer for drying polar-tec jackest & stuff.

pugmom 05-11-2006 09:33 AM

Suz,

There used to be downey advanced fabric softener that was safe for CD's, but of course they discontinued it. :banghead:

Some mamas on mdc have been using ecover....

http://tinyurl.com/l43n7

Here is a thread about it. I have one precious bottle of DA I bought 6 months ago, but I haven't tried it yet.

these 2 apparently do not cause the repelling.

Choose2bgr8 05-11-2006 09:34 AM

This is a little off, but not much.

With summer coming on I want to line dry the diapers. I did it the other day, put vinegar in the rinse and they were terribly stiff when dry on the line. I don't have a timer on my dryer and I air fluffed them and that seemed to help, but I was trying to avoid using the dryer (to save $$$). Any other suggestions?

wbkt8 05-11-2006 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choose2bgr8
This is a little off, but not much.

With summer coming on I want to line dry the diapers. I did it the other day, put vinegar in the rinse and they were terribly stiff when dry on the line. I don't have a timer on my dryer and I air fluffed them and that seemed to help, but I was trying to avoid using the dryer (to save $$$). Any other suggestions?

i find that if i dry them for about 10-20 minutes (i know you said you don't have a timer, but maybe just do it for a bit and then take them out) - they won't be dry but it loosens them up from the wash - and then air dry the rest of the way they don't get nearly as stiff.

it also depends a lot on the kinds of fabrics you have. i find the velour doesn't do well with air drying like described above - they still seem crunchy to me - but sherpa, cotton, hemp, etc. seem to do just fine with it.

hth

suzhatch1 05-11-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugmom
Suz,

There used to be downey advanced fabric softener that was safe for CD's, but of course they discontinued it. :banghead:

Some mamas on mdc have been using ecover....

http://tinyurl.com/l43n7

Here is a thread about it. I have one precious bottle of DA I bought 6 months ago, but I haven't tried it yet.

these 2 apparently do not cause the repelling.

Thank you for that MDC link - that was interesting to read!! I'll have to check out that Ecover & maybe the Method and compare the 2. Maybe I might do a special small load wash with just these couple of "crunchy" dipes diapers w/a touch of the softener to see if that'll help. I don't want to use it on all of my dipes if the others are just fine.