Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   HELP!! Majorly clogged ducts, sore nipples.. I am in PAIN (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514283)

CarolinaMama 08-10-2008 05:53 PM

HELP!! Majorly clogged ducts, sore nipples.. I am in PAIN

OK I have read the entire LLC.org website and I still am having issues. I have three golf ball size clogs in my right breast. I am trying cabbage after feedings and warm compress before. I don't know what else to do. I am adamant about BF but it has been 4 weeks of pain and struggles with sore nipples and now this. My dd is doing great and the lactation consultant I went to before the clog ducts said she was getting tons of milk. I just want nursing to be a wonderful thing, instead I am in tears. Some please tell me what else I can do!!!

heidisue 08-10-2008 06:00 PM

Re: HELP!! Majorly clogged ducts, sore nipples.. I am in PAIN

So sorry mama :( It does get better :hugs:

I used the rice packs, to me it seemed like the heat "soaked in" better with those. I would massage the breast, put on the heat pack, feed. Rinse and repeat.

You can feed with gravity working for you :giggle: Seriously, somebody on here recommended it to me and it worked. Put your LO on the floor beneath you and feed while hanging your breast over his/her mouth :goodvibes: It seemed to get the clog out faster.

Feed with the chin on the clog.

Massage it as your LO is eating.

I know some people have issue with this advice... but it helped me a ton. I used a medela nipple shield when the nipple pain got really bad. The problem with the advice is that it can cause latch difficulty and if the nipple pain is due to poor latch or something else you need to figure out then I think the shield can help cover it rather than fix it. That said, I was in tears when he would latch on even though he was latching correctly. I used the shield every 2-3 feedings for about a week and my nipples healed and I went back to "normal" feeding. It was a lifesaver.

happysahm 08-10-2008 06:19 PM

I nursed my LO immediately after a long hot shower. I just let the hot water hit my breast for a while and pointed the baby's chin toward the plugged duct when I nursed and I had immediate relief. I kept getting them because DS wasn't draining me completely, so I had to pump afterwards. I hope that helps some.

wear_your_baby 08-10-2008 06:26 PM

Use your pump when she's not nursing. Check www.kellymom.com
Is there a La Leche League group near you? Are you getting enough rest? Many moms find relief by taking baby & going to bed for a few beds, doing nothing other than nursing and resting. Please get help! You are doing a great job.

missemily 08-10-2008 10:41 PM

Also i'm sure they told you to air out your nipples as much as possible and if you are using breast pad change them alot.

TempoHasPaws 08-10-2008 11:57 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

WORKS AWESOMME!!!!! I used to get plugged ducts all the time, I tried the lecithin with great results!

CarolinaMama 08-11-2008 05:31 AM

Thank you mamas!!! I tried the warm compress then set dd on the bed, upside down since the plugged ducts were in my armpit practically and hovered over her. With my dh's help, she was able to feed like that for a bit. It was hard because I was bum up in the air, face in the bedding and trying to hold my lower breast tissue back so she could breath. It would have been funny if i hadn't been in so much pain:) I could feel it working and with the next feeding, football style, the clogs were completely gone! Thank you so much for all the advice. It is so important to me that she is ebf. I am going to do nothing today but one diaper load in the laundry and a good hot shower, ok and read up on DS:)

happysahm 08-11-2008 05:27 PM

I'm glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the update. :goodvibes: