Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   question about 3 month old and temperatures (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51625)

Emma 10-14-2006 05:41 PM

question about 3 month old and temperatures

DD is 3 1/2 months old and I had a question about knowing if she has a fever or not. She's been fussy this evening, not really interested in eating, and her cheeks are flush (which isn't normal). I took an underarm reading at it came out at 98.6 degrees. I lookekd up in the "what to expect in the first year" book, and it said normal temp for underarm is 97.6. So Ivy has a small fever, right? I'm not worried, I just want to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly.

MamaMel 10-14-2006 05:43 PM

Re: question about 3 month old and temperatures

thats normal!

StaceyM 10-14-2006 05:45 PM

That's normal. The normal underarm reading is 1-2 degrees lower then actual temp (although it will be affected by temp of room, clothing, etc.) By far the most accurate way to take a temp in a child is rectal.

naturegirl7 10-14-2006 08:25 PM

Under the arm temps are tricky - make sure you really get it under there. It takes much longer too - so if you are using a glass thermo, wait about 5 minutes before reading, digital wait until it *finally* beeps.

Under arm temps are usually about 1 degree lower than an oral or ear temp, and about 2 lower than rectal. Rectal is considered the most accurate - but not really necessary unless you can't manage to get a reading any other way. Generally, add 1 degree to the underarm temp - and that is what you go by.

Babies are not good at regulating their heat - so for the first year it is considered "normal" for babies to be anywhere under 100.4 - over 100.4 it is considered a fever. Most peds will say 100 - it s okay, 101 its a fever.

It is NORMAL for kids to run/spike HIGH fevers like 102, 103, etc. They have have 101 and then suddenly be 104. But anything over 103 is really not "safe" cuz it can cause seizures.

Low grade fevers 101-102, usually dont' require tylenol. let them run their course and monitor the fever. Try warm baths (NOT cool or cold as it can shock their little systems!) and push fluids to keep them hydrated and just snuggle and keep them comfty. HerbsForKids makes a great fever support. Fluids is the key though - you don't want baby to get dehydrated.

Once you hit the 103, get some tylenol in baby and do the warm baths thing, this is when you probably want to call your ped. It should go down about 1 degree after 30-60 minutes after having tylenol. The sears baby book has a great table of age/weight and dosing info for common meds like tylenol (and a LOT of great info - way better than the what to expect books, IMO).

that said - your baby's temp is normal. Baby *could* be getting sick - so keep a close eye on her. babies tend to spike fevers at night, so check her before you go to bed and/or during a night feeding and dipe change.
Or she could be teething. DS started with the chewing/drooling/crankiness of teething at 3 months! DIdn't cut the first tooth until about 6 months though. But teething fevers are never over 101.

Emma 10-15-2006 03:30 PM

That's good her temp is normal. I guess I didn't make the connection that since babies can't necessarily regulate their body heat that her temp would be wonky too. I do think she's teething though - drooling a lot and REALLY fussy today.

DiapeyMom 10-17-2006 08:24 PM

My dd was sick quite a bit as a young baby. She even had a spinal tap at 5.5 weeks old because of a fever. I would recommend you learn to take a rectal temperature. It is easy and most accurate.

If that freaks you out, my pedi recommended the temporal thermometer that you press onto their forehead. I got one at Babies R Us for $30. He says it is very accurate...they use them in the Drs office.

Leininger27 10-17-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiapeyMom (Post 376838)
My dd was sick quite a bit as a young baby. She even had a spinal tap at 5.5 weeks old because of a fever. I would recommend you learn to take a rectal temperature. It is easy and most accurate.

If that freaks you out, my pedi recommended the temporal thermometer that you press onto their forehead. I got one at Babies R Us for $30. He says it is very accurate...they use them in the Drs office.

I agree with the temporal thermometer. I got one from Wal-mart for $30. Love it!

JustAugust 10-17-2006 09:43 PM

98.6 under the arm means 99.6. My Ped said that anything under 100.4 is okay and not considered a fever.

Jackson runs high like be, so he's ALWAYS at 99.6. That's his normal.

We do it under the arm. We've got a rectal, but unless he had a bad fever, I wouldn't do that to him. :laugh: They did once in the ER and he looked at us like "WHAT ON EARTH IS SHE DOING?!?!" :laugh: